Gwinear fishing Newquay

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well I managed a day on the match lake today fishing the right hand bank facing into the wind.
I was with my son-in-law and we chose adjoining pegs.

My main aim was to try out a new feeder rod I'd purchased so out came the method feeder and a series of casts sweeping across in front of me found a couple of very nice Carp around 4-5lb but also a lot of skimmer attention.

After a couple of hours I plumbed up in front of me and found a nice 5-6ft slope top two plus two sections out.
Here I placed a cup full of softened pellet and started fishing over the top of them.
Initially the skimmers showed so a couple more cups and I left it whilst I fed Winston and grabbed a couple of sarnies myself.

I ate them in the car park which gave me good vantage point and to be honest I could not fault the fishery for its layout, cleanliness, and as I found later the quality and condition of the fish.
The onsite tackle shop was also amply stocked with most of the popular tackle manufacturer ranges.

The fishery supplies all landing and keepnets (keepnets for matches only) and again they were in good condition and known makes.

left and right views...
20190912_121410.jpg

20190912_121414.jpg

My peg...

20190912_140133.jpg

Block paved pathways certainly make walking to your peg easier :)

Once back on my peg I dropped a few 6mm pellets in and pretty much straight away hooked a Carp, then another, and shortly after that, another.
They were in perfect condition and fighting fit....
20190912_115041.jpg

Some more fish shots....

Mike with the biggest of the day at 7lb 8oz...

20190912_135524.jpg

Some more pics...

20190912_135644.jpg

20190912_135528.jpg

20190912_135651.jpg

And Winston getting in on the act..

20190912_140127.jpg

The pole line died a bit and the bites were fast but nothing there, so I dropped the method feeder in on the pole line and this gave a fast and furious hour with some fantastic sport.

My tally was 17 Carp from 4 to 6lb and quite a few small skimmers.
A great fishery well worth a visit if you're down this neck of the woods.
One I've definitely got down for a place to visit again

Total

Site Supporter
Beautiful looking place. :)....Where's your pole roller? :rolleyes:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh, and the margin was two foot deep shelving steadily away as i found out when I dropped my phone in lol
Luckily it is waterproof and I managed.to retrieve it :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In my bag Mark :p

The end of the section was up a two foot banking although it doesnt look like it in the photo

Total

Site Supporter
I dunno! :rolleyes:.....After all our Peter's taught you (And Trev) your still plumbing up with ya mobile phone :D

Enjoy the rest of your stay....Safe journey home mate. (y)

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Its been many a year since I visited Gwinear, a cracking venue back in the day.

Looking great, a fair few quid has been spent on it by the looks of it. Tackle shop and paved paths are nice.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks Dave I am down that way with my two stepsons so will take the gear with me and take them there for the day.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just give them a call beforehand as they do have a few matches on during the week, however I was also told that even if there is a match on they could manage to fit us in most times - but call first to check

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
That place has changed since I first fished it in 1988

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The match lake as it is now used to be two separate lakes, and a lot of landscaping and ground work has gone into it

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
It looks an amazing place. I’ve never seen paths like that at a fishery.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I always found the most productive swims are from the right hand side of the finger of unpaved land straight over the bridge opposite the entrance.
On the map you can see where the peninsula curves to the right. Fish on the last peg before that little bay.

slappy2

Looks nice Dave!
Taken the family down that way half term to hendra caravan site and doing bit fishing while down 👍
May look here too 😉

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Give this place a visit as well @slappy2 ,even if just for a look round...

Oakside Fishery and Fish Farm Cornwall

Not commercial in any shape or form. (the website is dated)

And this place is idyllic and you can get day tickets if not staying there...

slappy2

Cheers Dave 👍
Looks very nice, been going down this way for years but usually stay at white acres but mrs booked a cheap holiday at hendra which is very close to white acres too!!
See how the weather is as going 28th onwards but will go have a look for sure 😊

slappy2

4.2 miles from hendra 😁
Will tell the mrs taken her sight seeing with the kids and have a look 😂

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you go to Trebellan there's a pub next door (Smugglers Den) that does fantastic food so you could go for a meal afterwards ;)
Phone and book a table beforehand though as it is very popular

slappy2

As weather so shocking down here at Newquay decided take quick drive to lakes and pop into tackle shop!
Must admit nice place and will pop down next year with son and my pop up trailer tent in May perhaps !
Brought all our gear to fish but wind and rain been nightmare since got here Monday 🙄
Had anyone fished the carp lake as well???

crackatoa

Site Supporter
We go down there every year. Gwinear was always a favourite. Unfortunately they don't have matches in the main school hols anymore and it gets very busy. This summer we only fished it once, it was mobbed by 11am. All sorts of loonies chucking everywhere, radios blaring, dogs barking, kids running riot. Not for us. Shame as we've had some great days in the past but this year was a disaster