Guru Feeders

RiggersSW

Site Supporter
I've always found Guru and Korda gear to be of great standard and I really liked the look of the Guru cage feeders and method feeders, so I gave them a try!
The positives:
Not many to be honest. When it comes to the cage feeders, they cast well due to the forward-facing weight and there's a good range of sizes to suit most situations but that's about it. With the method feeders, the only positive I could find is the platform in the center for your hookbait.

The negatives:
In the case of both feeders, I found them to be extremely brittle. Only took one session to break the cage feeder fishing over slightly hard ground. The actual cage itself broke, nearly in half. Not impressed. For reference, I've had my old Drennan cage feeder (the version with power gum attachment to the mainline) for over ten years and it's still absolutely fine.
With the method feeder I had the top sleeve break off the line completely, again been using Preston ones for years and never had this happen ever.

The ones I have were from the original run but they don't look like they've updated them recently. If they could make them more durable I'd give them another go because I prefer the platform feature of the Guru method feeder to the ribbed system of the preston method feeders. But the fact that the ones I have used have been so brittle just puts me off them completely.
Maybe I had a dodgy batch of them, anyone else used these at all?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Had the same problem with splitting, and our club waters are more or less silt bottoms. I bought 4, 2 split, binned the other 2.

RiggersSW

Site Supporter
Had the same problem with splitting, and our club waters are more or less silt bottoms. I bought 4, 2 split, binned the other 2.
That's really poor, I figured mine might have been due to casting tight to an island, hitting some semi-hard ground or the ocassional rock jutting out from an island. But splitting from silty lakebeds is just poor quality control. Sticking with the old Drennans I have left it is then!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That's really poor, I figured mine might have been due to casting tight to an island, hitting some semi-hard ground or the ocassional rock jutting out from an island. But splitting from silty lakebeds is just poor quality control. Sticking with the old Drennans I have left it is then!
With our lake beds being silty, I'm wondering the splits are occurring on impact with the water. Like you said, poor quality control, or not enough was done on testing.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I've had a couple of stems break on their Hybrid feeders... not good

Spadger123

They also go in like a house brick IMO.
I use the drennan ones and they plop in lovely, Guru i cannot for the life of me get them to hit the water quietly, if that makes sense.
It's not my casting technique as i dont have the same problem with other feeders.

markyboy

My experience with guru feeders is I have never had an issue, method, pellet and hybrid have all worked for me, no breakages, no louder hitting the water than those using other brands next to me.

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I too tried a couple of their xsafe method feeders, not for me I'm afraid, a fiddle putting onto the mainline, and hook length also the mould left alot to be desired.
I will be sticking to the preston quick change bomb, feeder system, easy to change both from bomb to feeder, easy hooklink change and no a maggot feeder to fit as well, the moulds are in a class of there own IMO

Dusty Rhodes

I swapped all my method feeders to the Guru ones, never had a single issue with them.

Steve47

I had issues with some of the old pellet feeders with the weight coming off,but the newer hybrid pellet feeders been good so far