Great short session

duudiz

Stream stalker
Site Supporter
Well I haven’t been active fishing for months now due to the darker nights and being busy with work...etc

I said to my missus before the Xmas break that I wanted at least one session on the bank, well that day was today and as my missus and my daughter went to see Frozen II at the cinema, me and my son packed some basics and left for the local river.

One of my aims for this year was to catch ‘new species’ which considering I have barely touched the bank I did manage a first with a nice Grayling on ledgered worm on the river. (My son happened to be with me then too)

Well knowing that I had today and tomorrow remaining before the close of the year I set out to catch a Pike, something I had targeted a few times with a lightweight lure rod to no avail. Today after reaching my normal favoured spot where a smaller river/stream meets the main body I started casting out, not a single knock... I then stood on a small mound and casted upstream and let the lure run with the flow until it met an overhang snag under my feet, that’s when I saw the pike rush out to take the lure but miss, I lifted the rod up and dropped it back in and bang, right in front of me it was on. The fish bolted down and I let off the clutch as the rod is really fragile and I feared it would buckle. I shouted for my son to bring the landing net which was still half way up the bank not set up!! I made him hold onto the rod whilst I screwed the landing net together, took the rod back and scooped him up.

What a buzz and a great moment to share another first with my son (who rarely fishes with me) and a great end to fishing the river which I had never touched until this year.

I told my missus today that I wanted a pike and this was my last chance this year! Anyway sorry for the essay, I’m just happy to be back fishing!

832B0319-2CE5-4691-8888-B7C1E04FC335.jpeg
7339AC05-6118-48DC-99F3-4D279B3DEB29.jpeg

What weight would you think this was? It was well fed for its length, my guess is around 5lb max.

Silverfisher

A nice one to start with as well! You'll probably find you'll get loads of them now, seems to happen a lot that when you get your first of a new species they suddenly then become easier and you wonder what all the fuss was about getting the first one haha

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Well I haven’t been active fishing for months now due to the darker nights and being busy with work...etc

I said to my missus before the Xmas break that I wanted at least one session on the bank, well that day was today and as my missus and my daughter went to see Frozen II at the cinema, me and my son packed some basics and left for the local river.

One of my aims for this year was to catch ‘new species’ which considering I have barely touched the bank I did manage a first with a nice Grayling on ledgered worm on the river. (My son happened to be with me then too)

Well knowing that I had today and tomorrow remaining before the close of the year I set out to catch a Pike, something I had targeted a few times with a lightweight lure rod to no avail. Today after reaching my normal favoured spot where a smaller river/stream meets the main body I started casting out, not a single knock... I then stood on a small mound and casted upstream and let the lure run with the flow until it met an overhang snag under my feet, that’s when I saw the pike rush out to take the lure but miss, I lifted the rod up and dropped it back in and bang, right in front of me it was on. The fish bolted down and I let off the clutch as the rod is really fragile and I feared it would buckle. I shouted for my son to bring the landing net which was still half way up the bank not set up!! I made him hold onto the rod whilst I screwed the landing net together, took the rod back and scooped him up.

What a buzz and a great moment to share another first with my son (who rarely fishes with me) and a great end to fishing the river which I had never touched until this year.

I told my missus today that I wanted a pike and this was my last chance this year! Anyway sorry for the essay, I’m just happy to be back fishing!

View attachment 25202
View attachment 25203

What weight would you think this was? It was well fed for its length, my guess is around 5lb max.
Dont think youre a million miles away from its weight, 5lb seems about right

duudiz

Stream stalker
Site Supporter
Nearly went out again today but had a lazy one instead...

Question, how far will Pike roam in a small river? If I fish this this same swim again will I likely bump into this same fish? How many Pike will occupy a swim? Hard questions to answer I’m sure but I’m keen to do more predator fishing this year before the rivers close.