Good micro barbed hooks suitable for pole fishing.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Sweetcorn, Maggots, Pellet mostly on the pole.
Whats a good suitable micro barbed hook in sizes 14-16 and maybe 18?
I'll be targeting a variety of fish, From Bream and tench to 3-4 lb, And carp from 6-10lb.
Would prefer eyed, But I'll take spade if theres no other option.
Reason I'm asking is that the tackle shops around my area have no micro barbed hooks in their stores other than micro barbed hooks for feeder fishing and such, so I'll be ordering online.

Recommendations?

lp1886

I would have recommended Kamasan B560 but may struggle for strength on the double figure carp. Therefore look at Kamasan Animals, Drennan super spades or Guru MWGB.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Why micro barbed? Most fisheries want you to use barbless and there is no reason not to.

I would stick my neck out and say you will never lose a fish on the pole because the hook has no barb.

B911 eyed for the carp and B611 spade for the silvers.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I would have recommended Kamasan B560 but may struggle for strength on the double figure carp. Therefore look at Kamasan Animals, Drennan super spades or Guru MWGB.
Thanks, I'll take a look into these. The B560's look alright at first glance!

Why micro barbed? Most fisheries want you to use barbless and there is no reason not to.

I would stick my neck out and say you will never lose a fish on the pole because the hook has no barb.

B911 eyed for the carp and B611 spade for the silvers.
The lake I'm currently fishing has tons of weed in it which the fish just shoot for every time. As soon as they take me into it I'm losing fish after fish due to the hook / line coming loose when they put me in it. Anything to stop that hook coming loose is a big help while dealing with the weeds.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If it has to be micro barb then the B520 or an often overlooked brilliant maggot hook is the Maver ES41. These are for maggot. Expect to pay £1.20 per pack of ten delivered. Good luck. 👍

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
i lose loads of fish on barbless ,no idea what i do wrong i follow all the usual advice but seem to lose loads on commercials , i then go back on the canals and rivers with a micro barb and NEVER lose a single fish

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
i lose loads of fish on barbless ,no idea what i do wrong i follow all the usual advice but seem to lose loads on commercials , i then go back on the canals and rivers with a micro barb and NEVER lose a single fish
On all methods or one particular method FM ?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Weird, what size hooks are you using on commercials?

I usually use barbless and I'm fine but on this lake, It's terrible. So much weed that I need every fighting chance I can at keeping them hooked.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If it has to be micro barb then the B520 or an often overlooked brilliant maggot hook is the Maver ES41. These are for maggot. Expect to pay £1.20 per pack of ten delivered. Good luck. 👍
Just grabbed some of those Mavers, Cheers mate!

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
Weird, what size hooks are you using on commercials?

I usually use barbless and I'm fine but on this lake, It's terrible. So much weed that I need every fighting chance I can at keeping them hooked.
between 18 and 14s
iveposted about this before and got all the usual advise but still lose far to many fish

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
between 18 and 14s
iveposted about this before and got all the usual advise but still lose far to many fish
Right, I'm guessing you 've had all the ...... Your elastic is too tight, too small a hook etc etc. But, have you tried introducing less feed content into your swim ? It could be you are attracting TOO many fish all in one go into your swim and they are grabbing at anything they think is food. Daft it may sound but, you may need to slow the feeding fish down slightly. A little less fish may result in more positive bites. Good luck pal. 👍

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
between 18 and 14s
Very weird, 14's and 16's are in my opinion the most versatile sizes for commercials. Very rarely do I go any bigger, And only smaller when targeting smaller fish.

What elastics sizes are you using? How bigger fish are you targeting? I'm no expert but I've recently found that elastic sizes count so much more than I'd ever before thought. I used to fish 16 on all commercials but now I'm opting for 10-12 as my go-to in which I find playing fish a lot more fluent with this elastic with a lot less pulls and lost fish. Anything higher on smaller carp just feels janky as hell when playing, Not sure how I was using all round 16.

Paul22

Site Supporter
I won’t use barbed hooks even if they are allowed...... I believe they can damage the fish more than barbless and on the odd occasion you hook clothing nets or fingers they damage the item when removing.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I won’t use barbed hooks even if they are allowed...... I believe they can damage the fish more than barbless and on the odd occasion you hook clothing nets or fingers they damage the item when removing.
That's a fair assumption and opinion, Though I've read plenty of posts which argues that barbless do more damage, Apparently some fisheries insist you do use micro barbes and no barbless. I'm not here to argue against either of these points though, I'm just trying to efficiently land fish that I'm hooking.

Personally, I'm fine with using both barbed and barbless as long as the angler is careful. I usually opt for barbless but I can't deal with the amount of weed in this lake. It's already really, really hard fishing with a serious lack of anything in it and when you finally hook into a fish after hours and it runs you into the 150 pieces of 2-3m wide clumps of weed and just sits in there then the hook comes loose while trying to nudge it out it's incredibly frustrating. The lake I'm fishing is ran by a committee of older fellas, They do a fine job at keeping the lake looking pretty on the outside but the lake itself is a complete mess in areas. I've offered to get my waders on and jump in the boat to rake it out to the best of my ability, I've even managed to get a small team together but so far my efforts have gone unheard so I have no other real choice unless I just want to continue flipping coins every time I spend 4 hours down there and losing the only fish of size I hook into.

I'm always very careful when it comes to fish handling and I'd say I'm very efficient at unhooking fish, And will always use a tool to remove the hook if it's too far down as to where I can't pinch the spade or eye for removal.

Paul22

Site Supporter
That's a fair assumption and opinion, Though I've read plenty of posts which argues that barbless do more damage, Apparently some fisheries insist you do use micro barbes and no barbless. I'm not here to argue against either of these points though, I'm just trying to efficiently land fish that I'm hooking.

Personally, I'm fine with using both barbed and barbless as long as the angler is careful. I usually opt for barbless but I can't deal with the amount of weed in this lake. It's already really, really hard fishing with a serious lack of anything in it and when you finally hook into a fish after hours and it runs you into the 150 pieces of 2-3m wide clumps of weed and just sits in there then the hook comes loose while trying to nudge it out it's incredibly frustrating. The lake I'm fishing is ran by a committee of older fellas, They do a fine job at keeping the lake looking pretty on the outside but the lake itself is a complete mess in areas. I've offered to get my waders on and jump in the boat to rake it out to the best of my ability, I've even managed to get a small team together but so far my efforts have gone unheard so I have no other real choice unless I just want to continue flipping coins every time I spend 4 hours down there and losing the only fish of size I hook into.

I'm always very careful when it comes to fish handling and I'd say I'm very efficient at unhooking fish, And will always use a tool to remove the hook if it's too far down as to where I can't pinch the spade or eye for removal.
I’m not having a dig at you pal ....... if it’s legal to fish barbed then it’s up to the guy or gal fishing as to wether they do or not.
I cannot really help as I don’t use barbed hooks .
Is the water clear ?

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
Right, I'm guessing you 've had all the ...... Your elastic is too tight, too small a hook etc etc. But, have you tried introducing less feed content into your swim ? It could be you are attracting TOO many fish all in one go into your swim and they are grabbing at anything they think is food. Daft it may sound but, you may need to slow the feeding fish down slightly. A little less fish may result in more positive bites. Good luck pal. 👍
thing is it usually after playing the fish for a while they just seem to twist n turn etc and there off , very frustrating , i keep constant pressure i just dontknow what i do wrong , i watch the experts on youtube and pretty much do what they do
its obviousleydown to something i do wrong if no one else has the same problem just cant seem to work out what it is

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I’m not having a dig at you pal ....... if it’s legal to fish barbed then it’s up to the guy or gal fishing as to wether they do or not.
I cannot really help as I don’t use barbed hooks .
Is the water clear ?
Oh no I know you're not, usually I'd agree with you. I've always used barbless hooks, even on Rivers but this pond the weed is pretty damn terrible, I mean if you go into any swim and look out 1-2m you'll see tons of it growing up from the bottom which you need to be aware of. To land any decent sized fish you HAVE to wear them down to the point as to where you can net them quickly and efficiently from the very top, otherwise they'll bolt down a meter or two in front of you and you'll be wrapped around tons of weed. The margins are just as bad, In the middle it's not so bad but as I've said previously, Theres big random clumps of weed just sitting in the most awkward positions and by big I mean huge. If the fish bolts into them you're done, Especially if the weed gets over the top of your elastic because I'm finding thats when the hook comes loose and then I'm getting snapped up while also smashing up my swim trying to get it to come loose.

To answer your question; The water isn't clear either which makes things worse.

Paul22

Site Supporter
Oh no I know you're not, usually I'd agree with you. I've always used barbless hooks, even on Rivers but this pond the weed is pretty damn terrible, I mean if you go into any swim and look out 1-2m you'll see tons of it growing up from the bottom which you need to be aware of. To land any decent sized fish you HAVE to wear them down to the point as to where you can net them quickly and efficiently from the very top, otherwise they'll bolt down a meter or two in front of you and you'll be wrapped around tons of weed. The margins are just as bad, In the middle it's not so bad but as I've said previously, Theres big random clumps of weed just sitting in the most awkward positions and by big I mean huge. If the fish bolts into them you're done, Especially if the weed gets over the top of your elastic because I'm finding thats when the hook comes loose and then I'm getting snapped up while also smashing up my swim trying to get it to come loose.

To answer your question; The water isn't clear either which makes things worse.
It’s a problem then pal......
Try big hooks heavy line and big baits so when you do hook something you’re going to have more chance of landing them 👍