Go Outdoors take over Fishing Republic

Scribe

Site Supporter
Fishing Republic has recently been acquired by outdoor retailer GO Outdoors, part of the JD Sports Fashion Group. That has to be good news for the jobs of those concerned. Although i do wonder how long some of the shops will be kept open if there is a Go Outdoors store nearby. I foresee some closing and a reduced stock being moved into the Go Outdoors stores.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing Republic has recently been acquired by outdoor retailer GO Outdoors, part of the JD Sports Fashion Group. That has to be good news for the jobs of those concerned. Although i do wonder how long some of the shops will be kept open if there is a Go Outdoors store nearby. I foresee some closing and a reduced stock being moved into the Go Outdoors stores.

As Peter said last week, they bought it the day it went into administration and they are pleased to be able to secure the jobs of 100 staff across the 14 stores..... lets hope they actually open a few more.

Happy that jobs look safe though you never know what Mr Ashley will do with it.
Pentland own JD sports, i think you're confusing it with sports direct!

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
Happy that jobs look safe though you never know what Mr Ashley will do with it.
Happy
Jobs
Safe
and
Mr Ashley

Not really a set of words that are compatible with one another

Should imagine that if you work there you're braced for an out of the frying pan into the fire episode in your life

Good luck to the employees, can't be an easy time

62tucker

Site Supporter
Dear Customer,

We are delighted to inform you that Fishing Republic has recently been acquired by outdoor retailer GO Outdoors, part of the JD Sports Fashion Group. This is great news for our loyal customers who will be able to continue shopping with us.

The Fishing Republic website will be back in operation soon, but you can shop from all our UK stores now. We will continue to honour all outstanding customer Gift Vouchers and Cards.

Our Privacy Policy has been updated in line with the JD Sports Group Privacy Policy, which can be found here.

We are holding your data so that we have a record of your marketing preferences. If you would like to hear from us about our great deals, including our welcome back offers, please click here.

Yours sincerely,
GO Outdoors Fishing Ltd T/A Fishing Republic

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was in a Fishing Republic shop in Swinton just before Xmas... the lad in there told me that the main source of their woes was the idiot who sourced the store locations. They were hard to find, high rent, and minimal parking... which is a bit of a bu&&er when your trying to run a retail chain... they opened a store on a fishery near me... well 40 miles from me in an out of the way fishery called Clavering lakes... so out of the way the place only lasted 8 months. The chap who sourced the locations was sacked before the firm went into administration... maybe two years too late

Willberforce

Account Locked
I was in a Fishing Republic shop in Swinton just before Xmas... the lad in there told me that the main source of their woes was the idiot who sourced the store locations. They were hard to find, high rent, and minimal parking... which is a bit of a bu&&er when your trying to run a retail chain... they opened a store on a fishery near me... well 40 miles from me in an out of the way fishery called Clavering lakes... so out of the way the place only lasted 8 months. The chap who sourced the locations was sacked before the firm went into administration... maybe two years too late
The one in Sunderland is in the most run down part of the town..(how it ever got city status is a mystery to this very day )
The street it's on is lined with derelict warehouses, a scratty builders merchant and vacant lots...
The building itself is a converted "shed".
They have had a mural painted on the façade recently to try to tidy it up though...

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dear Customer,

We are delighted to inform you that Fishing Republic has recently been acquired by outdoor retailer GO Outdoors, part of the JD Sports Fashion Group. This is great news for our loyal customers who will be able to continue shopping with us.
I think everyone who has ever bought from them has recieved the same email....it's taken them long enough to send it out considering they bought the company the same day it went officially bankrupt!!

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter

I agree about the locations.

There are 3 reasonably close to me and at 2 there is no car park with very little parking outside and the other has a small car park taking about 12 cars.

tedstriker

I think everyone who has ever bought from them has recieved the same email....it's taken them long enough to send it out considering they bought the company the same day it went officially bankrupt!!
probably only just been confirmed by all parties, pointless sending an email before everything is confirmed

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
probably only just been confirmed by all parties, pointless sending an email before everything is confirmed

Possibly so but then why did they release a statement at the start of January?

JD Sports finally acknowledges the purchase of Fishing Republic - promises to honour existing Gift Vouchers and Cards. But is it good for the trade?
GO Outdoors, the outdoor retailer that was purchased by JD Sports for over £100M in 2016 has acquired retailer Fishing Republic the same day it fell into administration, securing the jobs of over 100 staff across its 14 stores.
Lee Bagnall, CEO of the Outdoor Division at JD Sports, says: “We’re delighted to have secured the business and are very excited about the acquisition.
“Our GO Outdoors fishing business is already significant and this gives Fishing Republic and some of our branded partners a huge opportunity for the future.”

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
That's really good to know, i will get emails from em with whats in the sale and new items, only to find out they have non in the stores that are within 200 mile of Leeds :rolleyes::rolleyes:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Go outdoors is terrible for that, fleeces in sale. Go on website and only got 1 and it’s extra small in Scotland or Wales. Useless. I did once order 2 tf gear 10 ft carp rods. Went to shop to pick them up . Half the eyes were broken.. so didn’t buy them. Went in shop a few months later and rods still on sale with broken eyes..

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
The last email I thought great I’ll order some wind breaks for when I’m night fishing

AACEFA17-DD56-40F9-B53A-BAE6CA8C885C.jpeg

Willberforce

Account Locked
In some respects..I like Fishing Republic.
By far and away, it is the best company in the UK for telling every thing they haven't got when you
query stock levels in their sales....lol.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
And after ordering, getting conformation I could pick it up in an hour, a phone call saying they were having difficulties here’s the excuse

F7D52620-F693-4D98-86C5-04E6207B4F68.jpeg

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
So when they take over i cant see much change to what they were like before no wonder they went Tits up.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
If i remember correctly there were also plenty of people who did get bargains in the sales but there was also plenty of out of stock items advertised this was down to the state the company was in.