Gizmo Angling addresses issues wth ZT-Lite

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Yes, I reported this issue with mine and got a quick reply.
The new parts are to be shipped next week. Gizmo are serious about their business and it is good to see such a quick reaction to a problem.

marcusp

Site Supporter
I have a gizmo zt carbon and love it but there have been a few issues which to dennis's credit have been resolved however Having seen others with similar problems and now this with the zt lite I do wonder if they are releasing products to quickly to satisfy demand before they have had a real test to iron out any problems

Fintank

My only gripe was the fact all the pictures and the videos of the zt lite had brass magnet holders but this wasn't what it came with, and the ones that came fitted have failed a lot. Maybe should be pictures of what is actually being sold.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
My only gripe was the fact all the pictures and the videos of the zt lite had brass magnet holders but this wasn't what it came with, and the ones that came fitted have failed a lot. Maybe should be pictures of what is actually being sold.
That was my issue, the illustrated product differed from the one delivered in a negative way. Not sure how big an outfit Gizmo are, they are great at design and development, but possibly need help with marketing and consumer relations.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I must say I've not had an issue with their customer relations having found that my emails are always answered in a timely manner.
I bought, or should I say my missus bought me one of these for Christmas (which I paid for - still trying to work that one out lol) and one of the magnet holding arms was missing.
A quick email and one arrived in the post along with a new set of magnets.

The problem I found was the magnets didn't fit the holders/arms and were slack. They also seemed to be made using a 3D printer and were of dubious quality, as I found shortly after when one snapped.

A bit of work with some Araldite soon corrected the issues, but let's be fair, that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place had the parts fit correctly.

The jury is still out on it however and I'm waiting to see how the new parts fit as one issue I have found with it that is a pain in the arris, is the current magnet holders do get in the way when tying hooks, unlike the belt driven version.

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
With all the failures of the plastic drive cog on the belt driven ones (after they stopped using aluminium drive cogs), which to be right, is a part placed underonly tiny torque stresses, you'd have thought that Gizmo would have ensured that any further plastics used would be up to the job!

What miniscule stresses can the magnet holder be under for it to break???

As Dave has said, it looks to me like the 'mag drive' magnets are in precisely the worst place possible for ease of use on the ZT Lite though I've not seen one in the flesh - one question - on the ZT Lite is there much play on the mag drive pick up?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If set up correctly there is no play at all, the magnets are incredibly strong.
TBF to Gizmo, you do need to view and use one in order to make comment as the basics of the hooktyer is the same as the belt driven one, ie from the hook tying perspective; the difference is in the drive mechanisms and again I can see what they have done in order to reduce manufacturing costs and therefore retail prices, but it could be a wrong move imho.

artist

wightangler
Site Supporter
Appreciate the thread and comments as had meant to buy one over xmas - will now wait and see if the issues will be fixed.

Fintank

To be fair the magnets, compared to the pro, are in the way. But after tying around 200 hooklentghs on it, you get used to it and get a "rythym" going. I'm more than happy with it's hook tying capabilities especially being £55 compared to £140 Which I could never afford to buy. I just wish that it came as seen in the videos and pictures because then there really be no issue in terms of defects.

Fintank

Just realised how that sounds......🤭 I meant I've tied about 200 in it, not that it takes that long for you to get used to it!!! Lol

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
In this vid the magnets are completely different to the ones that arrived with mine.

Shows a good close up at 4:40 of the jaw side. Will wait and see what the new ones are like

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I must say I've not had an issue with their customer relations having found that my emails are always answered in a timely manner.
I bought, or should I say my missus bought me one of these for Christmas (which I paid for - still trying to work that one out lol) and one of the magnet holding arms was missing.
A quick email and one arrived in the post along with a new set of magnets.

The problem I found was the magnets didn't fit the holders/arms and were slack. They also seemed to be made using a 3D printer and were of dubious quality, as I found shortly after when one snapped.

A bit of work with some Araldite soon corrected the issues, but let's be fair, that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place had the parts fit correctly.

The jury is still out on it however and I'm waiting to see how the new parts fit as one issue I have found with it that is a pain in the arris, is the current magnet holders do get in the way when tying hooks, unlike the belt driven version.
I'm in the same boat as you Dave, got one for Christmas. All I've used it for so far is making some hair rigs without the "mag drive"
I haven't had a problem with communication. What I was meaning with consumer relations is the disappointment when something is delivered not as described or broken. Even the promise to put it right will dent confidence in their products. But fair play to them for admitting a mistake and promising to get it right.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My new parts arrived this afternoon so off with the old and on with the new...

The first thing I will say is even though the magnet holders are bulkier than the previous black ones, the are not as prominent visually and likewise do not get in the way.

20190110_163800.jpg

They seem to fit better as well.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak, so I duly tied a Kamazan B911 size 18 to some Reflo Power 0.13mm and set it to tie a 150mm hooklength.
It did with no issues, bang on 150mm using the markers on the hooktyer.

So full marks to Gizmo Angling

NB. The small blue Preston boxes are 2mm out where there pegging is concerned at all measurements.
100mm is actually 98mm
125mm is 123mm
150mm is 148mm

So if using the Gizmo and the small Preston blue boxes you will need to make a 2-3mm adjustment to suit the box.
Or do what I'm doing, change boxes lol

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tbh I couldn't get on with the Guru boxes, don't ask why, just one of those things.
So I've ordered a couple of the small Matrix HRL rig cases which came highly recommended by a few members.

In all fairness accuracy of the hooklength box shouldn't make any difference if you're using the same hooklengths on your rigs. Once your rig is plumbed up and assuming all your hooklengths are the same length 148mm or 150mm is irrelevant really and the fish aren't going to measure them :)

There is enough adjustment in the Gizmo to make allowances for 2mm so again not an issue. However if you're like me, once something is bugging you you have to sort it or replace :)

Fintank

I've used the preston mag boxes and gurus. My zt was setup to the gurus and they fit the mag sticks perfectly. To be fair I always leave the non return bearing about 1/8 short of the 6"Mark which allows me to slightly stretch the hooklengths over the pegs.

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Mine which my son bought me for Christmas had a magnet missing and tbh looked like a second hand unit with scratches and marks on the aluminium, i contact Gizmo , fair enough got a prompt email reply but still waiting for the upgraded parts to arrive so it has be dissembled and put back in the box , back to tying hooks with the £2.99 matchman hook tyer .