Frozen Maggots

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
The last day I fished was a Winter League match in March 2017, and the leftover maggots, in Krill powder, I brought home to freeze for the next time I fished.
I have not been since that day.
The maggots were placed in a bag and vacuum packed then put in my bait freezer.
During this lock-down period I thought I would clear out the freezer.
They look as plump and colourful as the day they were frozen.
I put these out for the birds etc. this morning.

IMGP0010.JPG

IMGP0011.JPG

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mum would go mad if I started putting maggots in the freezer. She found some maggots crawling in the garage fridge today after they sweated and escaped a few days ago. I thought I'd got them all up and that's why I've bought some maize flour. Those do look very fresh though.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Oddly enough, I put a pint of reds out for the birds at different locations and they’ve not touched them, yet the birds down at the ponds where I fish help themselves

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
The dead reds have not been touched yet.
I tried some before with my sisters chickens and they ignored them.
I'll see tonight with the foxes and badgers.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I put a baitbox of red and white mixed maggots out for the birds a couple of years ago. All the white ones were taken but strangely, they left the reds.
since then though, they have taken all colours.

legs230258

Site Supporter
My other half asked if I fancied Spaghetti Bolognese for tea as she had taken a bag of minced beef out of the freezer. Not very happy when I told her it wasn't minced beef but a pint of red maggots in a white freezer bag ! Hard hat area for a while but I'm sure she'll calm down !

Rick123

I put some 2mm soft pellets out I'd not used, thought the birds would go mad. Nothing didn't seem to know what they were I reckon?

Badger61

Red maggots are full of dye that isn't good for much. The red dye kills maggots when they put too much on. Fluoro dye is even worse. It's a real balancing act for the breeders. Sometimes when a gallon of fluro maggots turn up at the shop with good colour, you'll get 2 pints of dead when you put them through a riddle for the first time. The chicken/duck keepers that visit our shop only take whites. A guy that keeps finches takes pinkies but waits until the feed spot has cleared to get rid of contaminants. I wouldn't feed my pet fish red/fluros.