front drag/rear drag or backwind

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy44

Site Supporter
was talking about this on another post. which do you prefer, i was bought up fishing waters like the Trent and the like were we always used 1lb bottoms and 20/22 hooks. i used to have my rear drag set to near zero because we never knew what size fish we were going to hook and the drag was quickly adjusted if it was a bigger fish and use my finger to hold the line. i still use the rear drag (depending on which reel) and prefer to move the drag up and down if its a bigger fish. i personally could never get the hang of backwinding

CJROSCOW

Clint
set my rear drag to near breaking point of the hooklength. people tend to favour front drags as being smoother but the reality is there;'s not a lot in it with modern reels. Don;t get back winding, are reactions arn't quick enough

rodring

I'm a big fan of Fighting Drags got them on my Feeder and waggler set ups[:T]

grumpy44

Site Supporter
i think i was a bit to heavy handed for backwinding. now days i have my rear drag set to 3/4 but still go up and down on it when playing bigger fish

crag p

I only use front drag now, have it set quite light then use my finger on the spoolif I need to slow it down, I know it's different but works for me

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Both. Use front drag TDR.
Set drag near b/s of line but flick anti reverse off when playing fish, backwind if feel necessary.

pole addict

Always used to backwind when fishing light bottoms.

Use the drag now as i am usually on a commie using thicker lines.

I think the reason was that the drag, front or rear, wasn't sensitive enough to use with 1.5 lb hooklengths and below.

carphauler

Originally posted by CJROSCOW

people tend to favour front drags as being smoother but the reality is there;'s not a lot in it with modern reels.
Not sure about other reels but when i updated my Shaky mach 3 rear drags to mach 3xt front drags,the difference was amazing,the rear drags were sticky and slipped uncontrollably even after much fiddling and greasing/oiling and not oiling.

maver1

Originally posted by crag p

I only use front drag now, have it set quite light then use my finger on the spoolif I need to slow it down, I know it's different but works for me
this works well for me aswell. allways set the drag even if I do use the backwind, been caught out by sudden lundges before

backwind .... whos holding the net? LOL

Last edited:

masterofnone

Front drag for me, never got the hang of the backwind, and I think the front drag reels are much smoother.

phat abbot

I prefer front drag reels but don't actually use the drag preferring to back wind. done me all these years so I'm not going to change now.

Last edited:

Ron Clay

For light tackle and fish such as roach I back-wind. Above about 4lb bs I use the drag and I have to say that I prefer the rear "fighting drag". This to me is one of the best innovations to be applied to the fixed spool reel, I even prefer it to the bait runner.

gibby

Historically, the clutches on fixed spool reels were not particularly efficient and it took some pressure to get them to start in the first place. The Mitchell clutches were particularly sluggish and those on the Ambidex reels even worse. After anglers began to loose fish to hook pulls or breaks, back winding became the norm. Also reels in those days did not run on bearings, were nowhere near as smooth and if you played on the backwind, the fish did run under some pressure.

Clutches on modern reels are a lot better, you can rely on them to give line so I cant really see the point of back winding. Personally, when using a fixed spool I set the clutch loosely, trap the spool with my finger on the strike and if the fish is of any size and needs playing, controlling the pressure on the spool with your finger, in much the same way as you would play a fish using a centre pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.