Free TV license for over 75

spudnudd

Caught a little of that Jeremy Vine show this morning, the lady arguing for the case said 20% of over 65s
were millionaires, 1 in 5 ? .
So the point is why do the 1 in 5 claim benefits when they don't need to do so.The lady on Jeremy Vine also said by giving all the £200 per week state pension the ones that already have other forms of income[private pensions etc] will pay tax on it so the government will take a proportion back. When i look scrapping the TV license for the 75's unless you are on pension credit which means if your total income could be a few quid over the limit then you have to pay the£154 means you are that amount less than the ones on credit at the stroke of a pen.

This reminds me of the now state pension system[ANOTHER COCK UP] the old school had to pay in for 44 years and now get £129 the new system pay in 30 years and get£169 all the political parties agreed to this with the powers at b stating there was winners and losers ffs. I'm a loser i'm on the old system so in future i can see a lot of my generation having bus passes and fuel allowances taken away also as the ones in charge use the excuse the young generation need looking after.There is nothing quite like putting one section of the population against another but in the young ones case they must think about their future and once these benefits are taken away god help them trying to get them back in the future when they reach old age.I now end my rant for today (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
This reminds me of the now state pension system[ANOTHER COCK UP] the old school had to pay in for 44 years and now get £129 the new system pay in 30 years and get£169
Not quite accurate. I worked from the age of 17 until I retired. My basic pension was £120 when I retired but because of different governments having different incentives I actually received well over that amount. In the 1960s the government brought in GPC (graduated Pension contribution). For every £40 I paid in NI I received an extra 6 old pence a week on my pension, worked out to an extra amount on my pension. That did not last for long, a change in government brought a different incentive.

Then we had Pre 97 additional State pension and a Post 97 additional state pension schemes which added a further amount (over a quarter of the base figure) meaning an improved total pension. The basic pension rises at a set rate every year, the last increase gave me an extra £4 +. (I am not going to give you my exact pension)

Chervil

Site Supporter
General question, why was the age set at 75 and not retirement age, does anyone know?

160642fishing

Site Supporter
One in five pensioners are millionaires,I've never heard such a load of bo**ocks in my life,where do they get these figures from,I dare say that loads of pensioners south of Watford could be living in properties worth a million pounds but that hardly makes them cash millionaires.

spudnudd

General question, why was the age set at 75 and not retirement age, does anyone know?
They thought most of us would be kicking up the daisies before 75 same as when state pension age was set at 65 for men but the the women in those days mostly paid a small national insurance contribution so they got retirement age of 60 and only got a small pension.All the figures are worked out by civil servants sat on their ar-es in full knowledge that it will not effect them with their fat cat pensions in their retirement bit like todays politicians.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Sign the petition.

Tried to sign but won't accept my email address.

spudnudd

Not quite accurate. I worked from the age of 17 until I retired. My basic pension was £120 when I retired but because of different governments having different incentives I actually received well over that amount. In the 1960s the government brought in GPC (graduated Pension contribution). For every £40 I paid in NI I received an extra 6 old pence a week on my pension, worked out to an extra amount on my pension. That did not last for long, a change in government brought a different incentive.

Then we had Pre 97 additional State pension and a Post 97 additional state pension schemes which added a further amount (over a quarter of the base figure) meaning an improved total pension. The basic pension rises at a set rate every year, the last increase gave me an extra £4 +. (I am not going to give you my exact pension)
Not sure everyone was entitled to graduated pension as i'm sure but not certain the self employed payed a different NI contribution at basic rates but one thing for certain the less you earned the less you got.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Is it True MP's get Free TV licences ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Over 75 year old ones do. Even if there millionaires

Chervil

Site Supporter
Is it True MP's get Free TV licences ?
No. Someone was having a bit of a rant about it the other day, so I had a look. It seems that some have claimed them off expenses for their constituency offices. Which, as its their place of business, I must admit I found it hard to get worked up about personally.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If its claimed on expenses it free then :mad::mad:

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
In 2001 after a report from Ofcom the National Union of Journalists response was that the licence fee allows the BBC to "retain independence" from both commercial and political pressures

I do not think independence from political pressure is working at the moment and has not done so for some years.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I sure you need another license for a workplace if there is someone at your home watching another tv.

grey

Site Supporter
As far as I'm aware, the government announced free BBC licence to the over 75s about 7 years ago and that they'd pick up the bill. Osborne came along a few years later and said the BBC had to fund the costs!!!

If the BBC isn't state funded, why should it have to offer free licences to help bolster the pension benefits?

spudnudd

The BBC as got money from the EU and also our councils with grants etc so seeing the EU gets money from our government and our councils[for research etc.] thats all been paid for by our taxpayers i would say it is at the moment being partially state funded.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
When i was a kid my mam got a Telly licence as we had got the final reminder, She had gone out and bumped into the reminder man in his van telling him, son is in the licence is behind the clock, He knocked on the door asking me to see the licence, i said my mam aint in and i dont know where it is, he said its behind the clock, i said F***** meeeeeee that detector van is good innit ;)

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
The petition won't accept N. Ireland postcodes. I've notified them of this.