Free TV license for over 75

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
George Osbourne started it - just saying :)

62tucker

Site Supporter
So if your over 75 and bringing in 20,30,40, grand a year because of your age you get a free license
But if your say a 25 year old with 2 kids earning under 20 grand you have to pay.
Then you get people complaining about tax rates for the well off. Strange folk about.

Last edited:

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
You are splitting hairs here. The majority of pensioners are on a basic pension.

My neighbour, Joan, is 82, living on a pension, she gets free rent and does not pay council tax and does not get pension credit, for the last 7 years she has not paid for a TV licence but from next year she may well have to. She may well have to give something up to pay for that privilege.

I and my wife do not get pension credit, at the moment I pay for my TV licence by Direct Debit monthly. One my TV contract has finished in a years time I will be cancelling it, just keeping the broadband and phone line (which I never use) at the same time I will cancel my TV licence and I will have informed the BBC that I no longer watch live TV. If the TV licence goons (Captiva) want to knock on my door they will be greeted with one word. Goodbye,and they would have no right of access to my property.

62tucker

Site Supporter
You are splitting hairs here. The majority of pensioners are on a basic pension.

My neighbour, Joan, is 82, living on a pension, she gets free rent and does not pay council tax and does not get pension credit, for the last 7 years she has not paid for a TV licence but from next year she may well have to. She may well have to give something up to pay for that privilege.

I and my wife do not get pension credit, at the moment I pay for my TV licence by Direct Debit monthly. One my TV contract has finished in a years time I will be cancelling it, just keeping the broadband and phone line (which I never use) at the same time I will cancel my TV licence and I will have informed the BBC that I no longer watch live TV. If the TV licence goons (Captiva) want to knock on my door they will be greeted with one word. Goodbye,and they would have no right of access to my property.
I not splitting hairs at all.A pensioner on here has already said on here he gets over £2000 a month pension. No mortgage etc. And a free tv license
Your neighbour gets free rent and pays no council tax. Why shouldn’t all over 75 get that then.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
George Osbourne handed over the financial running of the BBC, effectively handing over the purse strings.
The BBC were no longer restrained by budget and were then able to increase TV licence fees as they wished, which they did.
This then gave them more money to spend (on whatever) which they did.

They now find themselves in a position where they need to realise more funds to meet their bills, bills that they have in the main created themselves after all they are in control of their spending, so the easiest way to do that is to cancel any free licences and raise more income from increased licence sales - so they pick on the easy targets to fund their lavish incomes.

The BBC should never have been given the financial running in the first place, they were not a business, they were the British Broadcasting Corporation, paid for by the Brits, owned by the Brits, and there to serve the Brits.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Imagine how much a company would pay to go down in history as the first company to have an advertisement shown on the BBC!!

The enforced tax we have to pay even when we don't watch the recycled shite they show is getting beyond a joke now, it's about time they were reigned in and made to justify the costs, reveal ALL wages paid and to whom, provide full reciepts for all spending with no approximations allowed, every penny should be accounted for and the finance records should be made viewable to the public without any hindrance or excuses.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Do you think the likes of John Cleese, , Micheal Caine, Judi dench. And all over 75 year old millionaires should get a free tv license . £150 to them is 🤷‍♂️🚶

me

Lenny Henry is a hypocrite. He was on ITV news slagging off the bbc for wanting to scrap free TV licence and that the government should subsidise the bbc. Lenny Henry works for the bbc earning a massive wage (hes with 7 million pound just off his presenting) . Gary linker earns 1.3 million .May be if the people who are employed by the BBC didn't get paid such high wages Inc the BBC directors ect then the BBC would need as much money so would be able to afford to still give out free TV licences

spark1

Site Supporter
So if your over 75 and bringing in 20,30,40, grand a year because of your age you get a free license
But if your say a 25 year old with 2 kids earning under 20 grand you have to pay.
Then you get people complaining about tax rates for the well off. Strange folk about.
Cause someone's old don't mean they are skint. Every benefit should be means tested.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Cos someone’s patriotic and loves England don’t mean their racist.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Oh yeah forgot about them 😉

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lenny Henry is a hypocrite. He was on ITV news slagging off the bbc for wanting to scrap free TV licence and that the government should subsidise the bbc. Lenny Henry works for the bbc earning a massive wage (hes with 7 million pound just off his presenting) . Gary linker earns 1.3 million .May be if the people who are employed by the BBC didn't get paid such high wages Inc the BBC directors ect then the BBC would need as much money so would be able to afford to still give out free TV licences
Lenny Henry is worth £7 million but this is not from mainly presenting on the BBC, in fact he spent several years not working for the Beeb, he has had sell out tours in Australia, New Zealand and the UK over the years, and his television work is not limited to the BBC.

I do not see how he is a hypocrite, he works and earns his money therefore has a right to give his opinion.

The BBC has broken the deal it made with the government when it was given cart blanche to make changes to the cost of the TV licence, they agreed for being allowed to make increases they would give free licences to those over 75

spudnudd

What seems to be never mentioned is that to be exempt for a TV license at the age of 75 a person as to apply for it so all the wealthy pensioners that do not need to apply are fekn it up for the ones that do.Next will be the buses passes because a---oles like Cliff Richard etc. are applying for them.The system aint working because i was speaking to an ex banker that as lived in Brazil for several years and he gets the winter fuel allowance and after phoning up to say he does not need it the reply was just forget about and keep it.The payment is direct to his bank account every year as it must be to lots of ex pats that have left this country.This moning on Jeremy Vine show a lady phoned in and said that state pension should be raised to £200 per week for all and that would mean everyone would pay their way i think thats the most sensible answer but will any government lift us from being one if not lowest state in pension in Europe will they fek.

Chervil

Site Supporter
What seems to be never mentioned is that to be exempt for a TV license at the age of 75 a person as to apply for it so all the wealthy pensioners that do not need to apply are fekn it up for the ones that do.Next will be the buses passes because a---oles like Cliff Richard etc. are applying for them.The system aint working because i was speaking to an ex banker that as lived in Brazil for several years and he gets the winter fuel allowance and after phoning up to say he does not need it the reply was just forget about and keep it.The payment is direct to his bank account every year as it must be to lots of ex pats that have left this country.This moning on Jeremy Vine show a lady phoned in and said that state pension should be raised to £200 per week for all and that would mean everyone would pay their way i think thats the most sensible answer but will any government lift us from being one if not lowest state in pension in Europe will they fek.
Funny I was thinking about the experiments that some countries have carried out with "Universal Basic Income", where everybody, whether you work or not get given the same amount of money by the government and you receive nothing else. I was trying to find out how much Finland paid when they tried it on a small number of people and found it was £475 a month. But what also came up was this:

"All the means-tested benefits – apart from housing benefit – would be taken away and every adult would pocket, for example, £100 per week, plus an additional £50 for each child they have."

Not sure about the you will get more for pushing out more kids bit

Other countries have said it would cost up to 30% of GDP. As a comparison we spend just under 10% of GDP on the NHS at the moment and 2% on Defence, so we are not talking small change here.

breadflake

Site Supporter
Caught a little of that Jeremy Vine show this morning, the lady arguing for the case said 20% of over 65s
were millionaires, 1 in 5 ? .

Blanks

Site Supporter
The answer is to stop watching telly, I did 30 odd years ago.
A) you are not filling your head with innane dross
B) you are not paying for all the luvvies and spongers to live the good life.
It's win, win.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Cause someone's old don't mean they are skint. Every benefit should be means tested.
If they are as efficient at means testing as they are at sorting out the workshy and benefit scroungers, it will probably cost us money😯