Free TV license for over 75

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
You cannot watch ANY live TV if you do not have a licence, not just BBC. You can use any catchup TV service except BBC IPlayer.

Luckily all the TV programmes I like to watch I stream using either showbox or Cyberflix. You do need a VPN to use those services. We also have Netflix.

Chervil

Site Supporter
You cannot watch ANY live TV if you do not have a licence, not just BBC. You can use any catchup TV service except BBC IPlayer.

Luckily all the TV programmes I like to watch I stream using either showbox or Cyberflix. You do need a VPN to use those services. We also have Netflix.

Must admit I didn't realise that.

"The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.

Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and amount of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended)."

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Chervil 7 years working in the telecommunications industry in customer service (and training new staff) teaches you a lot about the rules and regulations surrounding the supply of service and the contracts which are used by the telecoms suppliers. An asset I have found useful when dealing with BT and Sky as I seem to be better informed than a lot of their staff.

BT tried to charge me until the end of a contract because I changed supplier after they put the price of broadband up. As I let them know within 30 days of being informed of the change of price they could not make me pay.

Chervil

Site Supporter
It makes it a bit difficult to answer when the question is phrased with the caveat "with plenty of money". My own view is that, they should get the free TV irrespective of how much personal wealth they have, it is a right in much the same way that the NHS is a right, A&E do not turn you away if you are wealthy. If you work all your life, contribute to a pension and pay full NI, why should you then have to suffer when others, who have not been as conscientious, gain all the benefits. We send millions abroad in foreign aid, subsidise people here illegally, pay benefits to people who have never worked and have no intention of doing so and spend god knows how much paying to ensure we reach the final of the Eurovision Song Contest. I think we, as a country, should re-prioritise and start building a great, proud nation again. As I said in a previous post, you can tell how good a country is by the way it looks after its old folks.
We are the world's 5th largest economy and to be honest I don't begrudge giving money to the poorest countries, as long as it is used for the purpose it was given for. We should be able to look after our own and others. I do begrudge giving money to countries, that can afford larger armed forces than us and nuclear weapons.
I also didn't realise, until I just looked at the figures, that we give more in foreign aid, than we spend on policing and are the only major western economy to meet the UN target to donate 0.7% of GDP to overseas aid.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I also didn't realise, until I just looked at the figures, that we give more in foreign aid, than we spend on policing and are the only major western economy to meet the UN target to donate 0.7% of GDP to overseas aid.
We also do not claim the full amount for the treatment of foreign nationals by our NHS. If you are treated in Spain, while on holiday, the Spanish government will get the cost of the treatment from the UK.

Chervil

Site Supporter
We also do not claim the full amount for the treatment of foreign nationals by our NHS. If you are treated in Spain, while on holiday, the Spanish government will get the cost of the treatment from the UK.
Interesting

Viral_post.png

The way I see it. Whilst this would only be about 7% of the £4 billion increase the NHS says it need every year it would be a start, especially if added to the £110-£280 million cost of those who specifically come here to be treated, the £1.3 billion lost in fraud and £216 million in missed appointments.

Last edited:

Blanks

Site Supporter
What about if you don't watch telly, can you have a £150 a year payment?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
the annoying thing is, the majority of folks have a sky/virgin/bt or whatever type of TV contract.... and the thinking is that if you can afford those, you can afford a TV licence... now where pensioners are concerned all the parties make a big thing about raising pension payments but if they up the pensions by £150 a year then rescind free licences, they are giving in one hand and taking with the other... politicians really are a bunch or a***holes

2ts

Site Supporter
The over 75s are the scapegoats for the shortfall caused by their equal pay blunders.Also no mention made of the extra revenue from migration to this country that off-sets the pensioners concession .If the BBC cannot manage to exist on 4.5 Billion pounds revenue then it is time to pack in.
It is not even a LOSS,as the money would not be there if life expectancy had not risen.
The government save billions from those who die before pension age,and make fortunes from those that die with no heirs,use some of that money to pay any perceived shortage.

regards

2TS

Last edited:

Chervil

Site Supporter
What about if you don't watch telly, can you have a £150 a year payment?
Dear Mr Blanks
After the last annual calculation we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tv license refund of £150. However, due to invalid account details records, we were unable to credit your account.

Please submit the tv licence request and allow us 2-4 weeks for the amount to be credit to your account.

Click "Refund Me Now" and follow the steps in order to have us process your request. All we need are all your bank details, you can trust us. Honest.

Refund Me Now ⇨

Best regards,

TV License

Chervil

Site Supporter
Sign the petition.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
the annoying thing is, the majority of folks have a sky/virgin/bt or whatever type of TV contract.... and the thinking is that if you can afford those, you can afford a TV licence... now where pensioners are concerned all the parties make a big thing about raising pension payments but if they up the pensions by £150 a year then rescind free licences, they are giving in one hand and taking with the other... politicians really are a bunch or a***holes
Shoot em innaface:D

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
The over 75s are the scapegoats for the shortfall caused by their equal pay blunders.Also no mention made of the extra revenue from migration to this country that off-sets the pensioners concession .If the BBC cannot manage to exist on 4.5 Billion pounds revenue then it is time to pack in.
It is not even a LOSS,as the money would not be there if life expectancy had not risen.
The government save billions from those who die before pension age,and make fortunes from those that die with no heirs,use some of that money to pay any perceived shortage.

regards

2TS
They're actually the scapegoats for the government pulling the plug on the B.B.C. subsidy which allowed the B.B.C. to offer free licences. I expect that the Daily Mail et al have commented on the salaries of many of the presenters but even halving that wouldn't make up for the shortfall. Besides, if you want top presenters you have to pay top dollar. Except Steve Wright. The fat barsteward is worth his weight in shyte in my opinion.

62tucker

Site Supporter
So what if your granny lives with you, you wife and 3 kids. Do that house deserve a free TV license?

Somersetlad

The Daily Mail isn't too keen to announce the salary it pays it's writers and editor. But we do know that the Telegraph pays Boris £270000 a year for writing his shite. The Bullingdon Club is still alive and well, or is it Harry Enfield's "Loadsamoney"!