Free TV license for over 75

62tucker

Site Supporter
What’s you thought on this. Seems it’s going to be means tested.
Do you think someone with plenty of money but over 75 should get a free tv license

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Why not. Last week we were heaping praise on them for protecting the free world. This week they are told they have to pay to watch TV. Meanwhile Boris wants to give tax cuts to the rich.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If it’s free in prison it should be free for Pensioners simple as, why should someone who heaps misery on people then still costing the tax payers to keep in a cushty jail be given stuff that some call a luxury ?

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
It makes it a bit difficult to answer when the question is phrased with the caveat "with plenty of money". My own view is that, they should get the free TV irrespective of how much personal wealth they have, it is a right in much the same way that the NHS is a right, A&E do not turn you away if you are wealthy. If you work all your life, contribute to a pension and pay full NI, why should you then have to suffer when others, who have not been as conscientious, gain all the benefits. We send millions abroad in foreign aid, subsidise people here illegally, pay benefits to people who have never worked and have no intention of doing so and spend god knows how much paying to ensure we reach the final of the Eurovision Song Contest. I think we, as a country, should re-prioritise and start building a great, proud nation again. As I said in a previous post, you can tell how good a country is by the way it looks after its old folks.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was looking forward to a free TV licence in 3 years but as we do not receive Pension Credit we will not be eligible.

I think I might just tell the BBC I no longer watch live TV but only use catch up and Netflix and cancel my licence.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I was looking forward to a free TV licence in 3 years but as we do not receive Pension Credit we will not be eligible.

I think I might just tell the BBC I no longer watch live TV but only use catch up and Netflix and cancel my licence.
If I was in power Geoff mate, everyone over 65 would have free TV, EA licence, Dentistry, Spectacles (not just the eye test) and Travel.(y)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If I was in power Geoff mate, everyone over 65 would have free TV, EA licence, Dentistry, Spectacles (not just the eye test) and Travel.(y)

Plenty of money about to look after the Boat people though, plenty for retuning and home grown terrorists, plenty for foreign aid and politicians expenses why not for our oldies ?

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Plenty of money about to look after the Boat people though, plenty for retuning and home grown terrorists, plenty for foreign aid and politicians expenses why not for our oldies ?
We often sing from the same hymn sheet mate, shall we pitch for the next general election as the UK Commonsense Party?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
If the Government stopped benefits for those who are able to work but refuse to do so the money saved would pay for a free TV licence for everybody! (PS I know that it's the BBC who have made the decision).

160642fishing

Site Supporter
The UK is to hand over £98m to India despite the country - which has spent almost the same on a lunar probe - now giving out more foreign aid than it receives. As part of the UK's aid budget, the Department for International Development (DfID) willgive £52m this year and a further £46m in 2019/20.

You couldn't make it up !

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
What annoys me most about the BBC is their political bias, they should be non political and give a balanced view but they fail in this department.

You will have noticed great coverage about the environmental protests in London, but next to none over the repeated marches in support of soldiers being charged for crimes in Northern Ireland during the troubles. These crimes committed in the name of the British government, why are not the people who forced the troops to serve in Northern Ireland standing up for the troops.

Apart from a couple of exceptions their standard of programmes has fallen over the past few years, and has been stated by another member surely it is time to start showing adverts. They could gain good money for giving five minutes just before the hour on adverts without interrupting programmes which is the most annoying thing about adverts on commercial TV.

davylad

Site Supporter
Why should someone on pension credit get a free licence, and someone just below the threshold not get one? The one who gets PC might not have worked all their life but the one just below might have. Don't forget it doesn't stop there, the former will probably be claiming all sorts of other benefits, as once you're on the system all sorts of other doors start opening.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If the Government stopped benefits for those who are able to work but refuse to do so the money saved would pay for a free TV licence for everybody! (PS I know that it's the BBC who have made the decision).

I can’t wait till the next time I get a reminder for my tax, I’m gonna send back that Diane Abbot is my accountant 😉😉

Chervil

Site Supporter

You can do it, if you don't use BBC iPlayer
If you never watch BBC and only watch all your programmes using the catch up services of other channels, it may be possible for you to legally ditch the licence, saving yourself £154.50 a year.

Steve57

Site Supporter
Adverts is the answer and we all don’t pay, f£(k me for what the BBC put on the ads would be better viewing 👍
There isn't enough advertising money available, which is why ITV never ask for the playing field to be levelled whenever this question is raised.

You can do that as long as you don't watch any BBC programs either when broadcast, which includes recording a live transmission, or by using BBC IPlayer.

I was a fraction late replying there.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
You can do it, if you don't use BBC iPlayer
If you never watch BBC and only watch all your programmes using the catch up services of other channels, it may be possible for you to legally ditch the licence, saving yourself £154.50 a year.

Or to put it another way, just a smidgeon under £3 per week.
Why shouldn't it get means tested? My railway and state pension combined net me an income greater than £500 per week. That's more than many families are on and I don't have rent or a mortgage to pay. Sure there's thousands of pensioners that are scraping along but there's also plenty like me with a decent income enjoying free bus travel and free prescriptions as well as reduced rate entrance fees to lots of places.