Free TV licence.

Puckleman

Site Supporter
As I will soon be 75 I need to know how to claim my free TV licence. Do I need to apply for it or does it happen any way?

stikflote

Site Supporter
You don't apply for it, they should send you a letter telling you you have no need to pay,

they sent me a letter a good few months early.
I dont think we should have to pay at all ,but not much we can do about that

Philocalist

FWIW, this applies to the oldest resident in the house, who may not necessarily be the current bill-payer. A quick phonecall to the licensing place sorted it after a mate had his (very old) father in law come to stay permenently - THEY even suggested the swap of the licence into the old guys name, did it over the phone AND refunded against the existing licence!

Chervil

Site Supporter
As I will soon be 75 I need to know how to claim my free TV licence. Do I need to apply for it or does it happen any way?
Enjoy it for the next year mate.

Must admit, I didn't realise that the cost of free TV licences was funded by the government. I'm sure the BBC could make some cuts somewhere.
In this age of streaming, I really do believe that they should get rid of the licence and move over to subscription.

Last edited:

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Apparently we over 75 year olds are now much wealthier than when the free licences were introduced,where does that come from ?,the derisory increase in the state pension is more than offset by rising prices and most private pensions only rise in line with inflation,if at all,this will lose the Tory government an awful lot of votes,I can hear Corbyn laughing from here.

mark67

I can not remember the last time i watched a programme on bbc1 or 2 the only ones that will benefit from this are the the ones that will get a big pay rise from it at the bbc

Chervil

Site Supporter
I can not remember the last time i watched a programme on bbc1 or 2 the only ones that will benefit from this are the the ones that will get a big pay rise from it at the bbc
I honestly cannot remember the last time I watched anything on terrestrial TV, from any channel. I very occasionally watch a bit of iplayer, I would suggest my wife is the same. Therefore I would rather have a subscription service, much like Netflix, Sky and Amazon. The one thing I would miss would be the BBC news on line, which is the first thing I look at with my cup of tea in the morning.

Last edited:

jimbo1946

Its appears thst in order to qualify for a free tv license you or someone in your household has to be in receipt of Pension Credit.Just seen it on the TV!

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Apparently we over 75 year olds are now much wealthier than when the free licences were introduced,where does that come from ?,the derisory increase in the state pension is more than offset by rising prices and most private pensions only rise in line with inflation,if at all,this will lose the Tory government an awful lot of votes,I can hear Corbyn laughing from here.
Ah, but this isn't a Tory cut. Policy decision was to leave the BBC board to decide what to do about over 75s. Gives them a plausible deniability.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Get rid of Liniker and all the other overpaid prima wotsits. Give five hundred quid to ever changing faces, I would be quite happy
to have say a lower league footballer or a county cricketer as presenters.

The BBC paid the unfunny cretin Ross millions a year, enough said.

Mind you I would not want to be without auntie but I`m fast getting peed off with all the hop type adverts, BBC radio is now infected
with this infantile nonsense.