Free Spirit vs Daiwa

Rigmann

Site Supporter
Gents
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare a 14 FS feeder to 14ft SLR?
Would be interested to hear your impressions

Thanks

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Gents
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare a 14 FS feeder to 14ft SLR?
Would be interested to hear your impressions

Thanks
I know I haven't used either rods mentioned (yet) but can I just put something to you?

Free Spirit are a relatively newcomer to the tackle market, Daiwa have been around for years and their customer service is very good. If it's all down to price, I'd sooner pay that bit extra knowing that the back-up, if needed, is there. Just my opinion, but I'd go with Daiwa. I'm not knocking Free Spirit in any way, it's just that Daiwa have a reliable customer service where as Free Spirit has a reputation to build.

SteveAmo

Free Spirit might new to the match world but they certainly aren’t new to the carp world, they’ve been making quality rods for years.

I’ve got the 13 ft Free Spirit Hi S Feeder rods and they are superb not only are they brilliant for casting above 60 metres plus but their playing action is brilliant. The quiver tips on these rods are hollow plus your can have the handle in traditional cork or the abbreviated carp style version. These rods are very well designed and made, they aren’t cheap but then again you only get what you pay for!

My friend has the 14 ft Hi S version that he uses on mega chucks.

All I know is that some folk who previously used the Daiwa SLR rods have sold them and bought the Free Spirit Hi S ones.

There’s quite afew shops now stocking the Free Spirit range so get yourself to one of these and take a look for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

By the way I have no connection to Free Spirit whatsoever, I bought them as it suits my style of fishing and it’s quality gear.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I've just got 2 x 11ft Free Spirit CTX Carp Wagglers and I'm very happy. Happy tenching I hope.

Rick123

People will always buy new items out (like free spirit) and some will stick to the older brands. I'm not gullible anymore even when a top star like Steve Ringer (Daiwa) or Rob Wotton for (Free Spirit. ) say it's good tackle. They all have sponsorship and free gear on tap, so they would say that the stuff was good. I love expensive tackle, but some £100 rods are so good now-days you would hardly know the difference. If I fished full time like the above then that investment might be worth while.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
Freespirit make superb rods. I’ve had a set of their XS carp rods for probably 15yrs & the fact that they still sell exactly the same rod in their range is testament to its popularity & quality. I also have a pair of the barbel seeker rods & they are also a top quality rod. I have the 11ft CTX carp feeder & that is also a superb rod for the money. I also own Daiwa feeder rods & to be honest, you won’t go wrong with either

jasonb

I've asked the question recently about slr rods in 13ft and 14ft fir fishing the Wye as they are classed as big river rods not just big chuck rods, be interested to know whether the free spirit is classed as a river rod and not just long chuck Stillwater.

I did have a waggle with a 13ft slr today and I have to say it won me over straight away regardless of price

NathanWatson

I've asked the question recently about slr rods in 13ft and 14ft fir fishing the Wye as they are classed as big river rods not just big chuck rods, be interested to know whether the free spirit is classed as a river rod and not just long chuck Stillwater.

I did have a waggle with a 13ft slr today and I have to say it won me over straight away regardless of price
I don’t think they are. I use the Tournament long distance rods for rivers and they’re great. Saying that, I also have a Shakespeare Agility Continental that’s almost as good, for a fraction of the price!

jasonb

Well, bit the bullet and got a couple of slr's and a tourney pro. Couldn't really afford going prices but some excellent deals came up and couldn't resist. They feel exceptional in the hand and can't wait to give them a go. Cadence rods are all sold. I've had 6 cadence rods and couldn't fault them for the money.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Interesting tips on long range casting and a look at the Free Spirit rods