For the love of angling

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know i've mentioned it before but i used to be a "spy" along with a few other anglers and we'd attend anti meetings etc and report back what was said/done/planned.

One of the things a certain antiangling group used to do was surf every angling site they could, they would post something that would get the anglers up in arms and then screenshot it all after editing the original post so it read something totally different.... they'd then post the screenshots to make it look like the anglers were the bad guys.
Thankfully forums have "evolved" now to a point where, like on here you can't edit the post after so long.

Another group used to go through angling sites looking for photos of fish with blood showing, again screenshotted and used as "proof" that anglers torture and kill the fish which is why, even now i ask people not to post photos of fish with blood showing.

Another of their favourites was to search forum classifieds, looking for phone numbers and addresses, how many people would appreciate their phone going at all times of the day and night, their door being knocked or weird parcels arriving?

Of course they also used to google themselves as well, just to see what posts would show up which is why i used to replace the letters of their names with ** in peoples posts, it used to cause me a bit of grief and i think there was a few complaints made but at the end of the day, if the latters aren't there google can't find them and they don't come looking, even some website owners now have their names set to stars in the autocensor!

I've been accused of being paranoid, even though i've been at the meetings where all of the above has been talked about and plans made, i've had people contact me and say "you were right" after they've posted their phone number and within hours they've started having weird calls.

Even had an ex-member from here go to another forum and try to be clever, taking the pee out of me and laughing at my paranoia..... then he posted some stuff for sale along with his landline and he ended up having to unplug it because he was getting calls in the early hours which was waking his wife and kids up... he admitted, i was right.

Sadly i can't risk going to meetings anymore, my face is "to well known" now due to photos on forums and social media...... but Lloyd Thornton lives on and one day...he may just shave off the beard, grow back his hair and rub 3 day old sweaty socks all over himself so he can smell bad enough to go and join the antis again ;)

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I don't think that you are paranoid, better that than complacent.
Angling is a field sport and field sports are under pressure right now. If and when the antis get their way with shooting, will they be satisfied to concentrate on climate change etc.?
We should be aware that the aims of antis are political and not morally motivated by the wellbeing of fish.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
The type of tactics you are describing are despicable especially bringing issues to a persons front door and trying to mess with there mental well-being, These people are some of the biggest cowards alive.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The type of tactics you are describing are despicable especially bringing issues to a persons front door and trying to mess with there mental well-being, These people are some of the biggest cowards alive.

You have to take into account that these are the same kinds of people who think sending parcels containing all sorts (including explosives) to peoples homes is acceptable, a few years ago there was a disabled guy fishing on the banks of the river Cam (i think, i can't remember for sure) sat in his wheelchair and a bunch of anti's tipped him in and left his fishing partner to get him out while they ran off!

bluemack

Site Supporter
Am i correct in saying the "anti,s" planted a bomb amongst the cars in ireland a good few years ago,killing several anglers,
i,m talking 35/40 years ago.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Am i correct in saying the "anti,s" planted a bomb amongst the cars in ireland a good few years ago,killing several anglers,
i,m talking 35/40 years ago.
Possibly, but there was a lot of things going bang back then so it could of been anyone of them!

bluemack

Site Supporter
You are correct Trogg,but i seem to remember the "anti,s" getting the blame for it.(i may have be wrong though).

GeoffW

Site Supporter
The spread of mink throughout the country is another thing we can thank the animal rights crowd for😕

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
A lot of these people don't care about fish in my opinion its just a excuse to project all there negativity and malignant anger onto a group of people

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The spread of mink throughout the country is another thing we can thank the animal rights crowd for😕
I used to work at Weston Park a long time ago, going to work one morning the lad who was driving said "look at that carpet it almost looks alive" as we went down Ivetsy bank, i looks up and says "it is alive you knob, that's mink the antis let go from that place down the road" there must have been 50 or 60 mink tightly packed together running across the road and it really did look like a carpet laying across the road.

The local chicken farmers lost a lot of stock and god only knows how many eggs were destroyed, sadly the mink spread out along the river Penk and followed it down into Stafford then up the Sow into the marshes nature reserve... the vole is gone, the wildfowl almost vanished and even young children were being bitten...but it's ok, so long as those poor scared mink weren't killed the antis are happy to see our native nature destroyed by an invasive species!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tinca Steve Fishing Talk 6
Chervil The Club House 6
Trogg The Club House 10
banksy Fishing Talk 20
F Fishing Talk 23