Football greats

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Apologies, I digress.

I’m too young to have seen Jack Charlton play but I do like the following story I heard about him.

Whilst manager of Ireland Jack became a national hero and in the way only the Irish can do he was welcomed all over.

However Jack was a bit tight fisted to say the least and didn’t like to spend money whenever he didn’t have to.

On one occasion he was in a pub and bought a round of drinks to the surprise of one of the players in his company. Despite it not being a great amount of cash he asked if he could pay by cheque. The landlord of course said yes.

When the landlord was out of ear shot, Jack turned to the player and said: ‘Know why I paid by cheque son?’. ‘Cos your out of cash?’ Was the player’s response. Jack smiled and replied ‘No, son I’ve got plenty of cash, but when I pay by cheque they always end up getting the cheque framed and I never have to pay for the drinks!’

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I watched the match when Leeds came to the Lane many moons ago when it was Charlton and co and they were the dirtiest team i have ever seen.

Different times though and nothing like today.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Another digression if I may......

Back in the 80s, as a student, I supplemented my student grant with a bit of catering work.

One such job I was working the bar on a charity golf event.

One of the guests of honour was goal scoring legend and league leading scorer at the time, Ian Rush.

Bearing in mind the event was on a Thursday afternoon and Rushie was playing in a crucial match on the Saturday, we were concerned that Rushie’s drinking might impair his performance, more so when we counted him decking at least six pints.

Taking my place on the Kop on the Saturday I’m sad to report that Rushie’s performance was indeed clearly affected by the demon drink, in fact in the three nil victory, he only scored twice!!!!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Another digression if I may......

Back in the 80s, as a student, I supplemented my student grant with a bit of catering work.

One such job I was working the bar on a charity golf event.

One of the guests of honour was goal scoring legend and league leading scorer at the time, Ian Rush.

Bearing in mind the event was on a Thursday afternoon and Rushie was playing in a crucial match on the Saturday, we were concerned that Rushie’s drinking might impair his performance, more so when we counted him decking at least six pints.

Taking my place on the Kop on the Saturday I’m sad to report that Rushie’s performance was indeed clearly affected by the demon drink, in fact in the three nil victory, he only scored twice!!!!
Two of my mates are very close pals with Ray Clemence & a few other pros. That Liverpool team were a right gang of boozers (didn't affect their success though!!) One night, I was out with them in Chester & David Johnson was in our company. He had a right skinful. It got to my round & he asked for a pint plus a double whisky & lemonade chaser :oops:
He drove home to Warrington as well.

richc

tommy smith
kenny dalgish
ian rush

no Liverpool bias honestly ;)
Don't forget Keegan, Toshack and Highway. I was a Leeds fan but have to admit Liverpool have had their share of the greats. Apart from Cloughy they've probably had the greatest manager in Bill Shankly.

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
Shankly laid the foundations and Paisley carried it on. 2 of the best managers this country have ever seen

richc

The manager who taught his players to whinge, moan and protest - I can understand your attraction :)

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
The manager who taught his players to whinge, moan and protest - I can understand your attraction :)
We won a lot by whinging, moaning and protesting then. If it were that easy to win things, then every club would have a great manager.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
I thought Giggs was the best of the modern day United greats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
62tucker Football Corner 5
Northantslad Football Corner 12
Bulldog Football Corner 3
mickthestick The Club House 0
Pompous git The Club House 30