Following On... Silvers on the Waggler

Maverick

Site Supporter
Following all the great advice you have given me so far and having purchased all the terminal tackle I now need to fish for silvers, I have turned my attention to the Rod needed.

I only own 1 float rod. A Carp Pellet Waggler which is awesome through the summer months and does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak. Now I know this rod will be to powerful and no doubt I will be bumping lots of small silvers off on the strike.

Although a lot of you have mentioned 13ft rods and I fully understand why, they wouldn't be practical for the lakes I fish in the winter due to the tight pegs and amount of trees.

Therefore I'm looking for an 11ft soft action budget rod that will fit the bill. I don't mind second hand, so I'm looking for recommendations please.

I'm sure you'll ask what the budget is :D As cheap as possible to do the job.

Thanks

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Maver abyss x are very good budget rods that feel like a rod three times their price of about 40 quid.

david white

Site Supporter
Although neither of the following are cheap they are what I use so therefore I feel comfortable to recommend either
11 ft I use a Cadence CR 10 #1 float rod ( save % discount by buying at an open evening or day event also on occasions there are buy a rod get a free reel deals )
12 ft I use a Normark microlight 2000 ( the original pre 2000 version is also a super rod at considerably cheaper price
neither are ‘ cheap as possible options ‘ but buy cheap buy twice is good proven advice

matt withers

I can certainly recommend the drennan matchpro ultra light, 11', it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for

nejohn

I would have a good look at the Frenzee precision fxt 12ft, nice light action aimed at silver fishing on commies, but make sure you get the 12ft not the 11ft as the 11 is much more powerful, I picked one up in bobco and bought it, not had a chance to use it yet but it feels nice in the garden. My view was it wasn't a bad rod at £130 RRP but for £80 it is very good value, don't think bobco have any left as I think I bought the last one but found this on eBay

Silverfisher

I've also had a couple waggles of the frenzee precision and it does indeed feel like a nice rod at the price they are going for at the moment.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
My recommendations would be if c£100 ish Drennan Ultralight 11ft. Or c£60 ish Browning CK F1 Micro 10ft (has to be F1) . Use both and very pleased with both. Frenzee Precision Wagglers, I have all three 10'6", 11'6" and 12'. And take them during visits to usual day tickets where a mixed bag silvers and lumps can be caught. The 12ft is softer and will be kind to silver fish and never feels over gunned BUT will handle large Carp and stop them. The 11'6' I use as what most would term "Pellet Wag'" Multi casting heavy wagglers large baits. The 10'6" for tight swims, narrow water and before I tried the Browning CK F1 10' used for winter silvers with no ill effects. But now the CK F1 along with the Ultralight are my winter silvers go to rods. BTW, at a Cadence road show the 11ft ~1 defiantly caught my eye.

JLK

I'd recommend trying the rod you have. Then see how you feel about getting a dedicated silvers rod once you've seen what its like. You over complicate things. Keep it simple. :)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Not used one, but a mate has Jarvis Walker carp rods and they seem up to the job of catching big carp, these seem ok for the money,

marcusp

Drennan ultralight in either 11’ or 12’ depending on the depth of your venues. You wont get a better silvers rod for the money. Its perfect

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Maverick is looking for an 11ft rod for silvers so why are people recommending 12ft rods and one post is a carp rod ?
I mentioned a carp rod as it was from the same maker I put a link to, only because I had knowledge of the maker, not the rod I linked.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Following all the great advice you have given me so far and having purchased all the terminal tackle I now need to fish for silvers, I have turned my attention to the Rod needed.

I only own 1 float rod. A Carp Pellet Waggler which is awesome through the summer months and does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak. Now I know this rod will be to powerful and no doubt I will be bumping lots of small silvers off on the strike.

Although a lot of you have mentioned 13ft rods and I fully understand why, they wouldn't be practical for the lakes I fish in the winter due to the tight pegs and amount of trees.

Therefore I'm looking for an 11ft soft action budget rod that will fit the bill. I don't mind second hand, so I'm looking for recommendations please.

Thanks
I like tf gear rods in the budget range I have a 10ft float very strong also quite supple at the other price range I use tri cast rods superb but expensive. The tf gear float rods are excellent too and fairly cheap.found the 10 foot rod for £29.99 at fishtec.they have other sizes too..if not your cup of tea look on bobco they have a great range of different float rods

Last edited:

Maverick

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Plenty there for me to check out (y)

Silver fan 82

I like tf gear rods in the budget range I have a 10ft float very strong also quite supple at the other price range I use tri cast rods superb but expensive. The tf gear float rods are excellent too and fairly cheap.found the 10 foot rod for £29.99 at fishtec.they have other sizes too..if not your cup of tea look on bobco they have a great range of different float rods
I also use TF Gear rods and reels sometimes. For the price they are good rods. Ive caught low double figure carp on both their quivertip and float rods with no trouble. Good sport indeed.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I also use TF Gear rods and reels sometimes. For the price they are good rods. Ive caught low double figure carp on both their quivertip and float rods with no trouble. Good sport indeed.
My wife had a 16lb carp and loads of small roach on the 10 foot float rod

Silverfisher

For those of you that have them whats the line rating on the 10ft tfgear float rod and does it fairly traditional float rod action?

I bought the 8-10ft tfgear compact allrounder to use on my little boat but whilst it’s good with the feeder tops it’s too heavy as a float rod (is an Avon really) so now it just goes in my bag as a sort of do anything third rod to compliment my daily drivers of the 13ft Drennan acolyte Ultra float rod and the 10ft Shakespeare wand feeder rod. At the silly price they are selling it for atm it might be worth me taking a punt on the normal 10ft tfgear float rod for the boat if it is actually a proper float rod?

Last edited:

nejohn

Maverick is looking for an 11ft rod for silvers so why are people recommending 12ft rods and one post is a carp rod ?
I recommended a 12ft rod as the rod was suited to the OP's original description of what he would like to use the rod for and is available at reasonable cost, I could have recommended 11ft rods but other posters had covered the drennan match pro ultralight and things like the Hardy supero, Garbolino G max light comercial rod are all in excess of £150 which I thought may be excessive being as though the OP just wanted to try the method. Also in reality the difference between 11 and 12ft rods is not great and actually the 12ft might be better for faster line pick up for shy biting silvers in winter, unlike the bites that he is used to on the pellet waggler

Kojak

Thanks
I and others on the woodlands silvers league use the Cadence 11ft match #1 it has a progressive action with a lovely soft tip section, it’s very light and slim, casts a float very well and most of all you can strike into those silvers without any fear of cracking off on light hook lengths (I usually fish 0.08)👍
£100 off the website including delivery