Flybe ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
The airline Flybe is in trouble, being that it has to pay a tax bill that is thought to be around £100 million

the majority of this bill apparently comes from the inposistion of the UK passenger tax, which is applied to all domestic passenger flights and currently costs each passenger £26

now this is paid by the passenger upon booking a flight and is collected on behalf of the UK revenue, by each and any airline

flybe is part owned by virgin air, the stobart group and the USA's delta airlines, all large conglomerates that are profitable and have reserves of cash money

yet the government is looking into cutting some of the tax bill, to allow flybe to continue in business

the tax bill that has been collected by flybe that is, the tax that was paid to them by the passengers

so the collected tax has presumably been used for other purposes being as they have been paid it, yet failed to pass it on to the revenue offices

so in effect, the UK taxpayer will be picking up the bill for missapropriation of collected taxes that the airline has been using for other purposes for a long while. being as a £100 million is a fair few £26 levies (maths experts compute)

I wonder what would happen to other business's that fail to pay their collected taxes or VAT,

now its understood that flybe is a regional airline that connects places that others do not, those far away hard to get to places, and in those cases is a useful thing

but its hard to see why the public have to foot the bill for mismanagement, when the airline has such investors and shareholders as it has ?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
No doubt if it was Mr Man on the street he would have his house took off him ☹☹

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Usually it's a bailout to protect jobs, but how many people are directly employed by Flybe ? not that many I would guess. Time people started to realise that if they want something, it will cost them. Stuff ,in general, is far too cheap, which causes over production and in the end, a greater pressure on the environment. Let them sort their own problems out, charge more, or go bust, and as far as I'm concerned, the more airline that go bust, the better.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Purely down to the size of the business and how many employees there are. A one man band would go to prison for half of what big companies get away with.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Usually it's a bailout to protect jobs, but how many people are directly employed by Flybe ? not that many I would guess. Time people started to realise that if they want something, it will cost them. Stuff ,in general, is far too cheap, which causes over production and in the end, a greater pressure on the environment. Let them sort their own problems out, charge more, or go bust, and as far as I'm concerned, the more airline that go bust, the better.
I can't see what overproduction has to do with this Tricky,it's a simple case,as Mick says that they have not passed on money they have collected on behalf of HMRC,if Flybe cease trading no doubt other airlines will pick up their routes.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I can't see what overproduction has to do with this Tricky,it's a simple case,as Mick says that they have not passed on money they have collected on behalf of HMRC,if Flybe cease trading no doubt other airlines will pick up their routes.
I was referring to the world in general, things being sold as "must have" at low prices, as a result, we buy newer and "better" items, and the old stuff gets dumped. Years ago holidays abroad were a luxury, sometimes a once in a lifetime moment, and now, people jet off for long weekends at a whim because it is so affordable, so in a way holidays are being "overproduced" and sold as low as possible to fill seats. If they charged enough to cover any expenditure, they would be able to pay the taxman. Hard as it may be to admit it, I'm with Greta as regards to flights.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I once phoned HMRC to tell them I was going to be a couple of weeks late paying in VAT due to a late paying customer to be told it was their money, where was it, and I'd no right to use it in my cashflow.

There was no negotiation and I got their equivalent of a yellow card and a new none negotiatable payment date, or else.
And it wasnt millions

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Usual balls being spouted without considering there is more to what is going on and the reasons why this is happening.

A lot of UK businesses use Flybe and flights and airlines are subject to location,flight allocations etc

Some areas of the UK are dependant on Flybe operating in their region and if they disappear there may not be any alternatives.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I once phoned HMRC to tell them I was going to be a couple of weeks late paying in VAT due to a late paying customer to be told it was their money, where was it, and I'd no right to use it in my cashflow.

There was no negotiation and I got their equivalent of a yellow card and a new none negotiatable payment date, or else.
And it wasnt millions
I used to physically take my VAT payment in to a place in Pontefract. One day I received a call from them saying that they had not received payment and that if it wasn't paid in in the next five working days they were going to fine me. I explained that I had taken it in personally and had a receipt for said payment. A week later they found the payment but, never apologised.

Chervil

Site Supporter
The government sorting their friends our yet again, Flybe part of Richard Branson's Virgin Group
I don't think Branson owns that much of Virgin Airlines any more, only about 20%. And Flybe is owned by Virgin Atlantic and two other groups, so Branson's holdings may not be that big.
Listening to an employee of Flybe on the radio last night, who was basically saying that, allegedly, Virgin and Delta, wouldn't mind if it went bust, as they could then get its Heathrow slots.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

And it wasnt millions
The inland revenue wouldn't pay me tax back they owed me over £5000 because the said I was employed by and umbrella company but I was set up to be my own director employing myself how does that work ...all one way owe them they want it owe you you struggle or dont get it..wish I had a good lawer to sort this out .If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful..

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
They sent me a Bill for about a Grand whilst sorting a Previous Claim where my old sc60's were been processed. I got a letter saying i was due 3.5k but until i payed them they would not release it. I payed em and 7 days Later a Cheque for 3.5k dropped through the door, would it have been easier to deduct one from the other and everyones happy?

robert d

Site Supporter
They sent me a Bill for about a Grand whilst sorting a Previous Claim where my old sc60's were been processed. I got a letter saying i was due 3.5k but until i payed them they would not release it. I payed em and 7 days Later a Cheque for 3.5k dropped through the door, would it have been easier to deduct one from the other and everyones happy?
Have you any experience of getting tax back when working for an umbrella company I still cant believe they say I was employed ..

robert d

Site Supporter
Have you any experience of getting tax back when working for an umbrella company I still cant believe they say I was employed ..
I played 2 lots of national insurance and employed myself through an umbrella company ...makes me sick

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
No mate But some good advice is speak to an accountant, they will sort ya, i made a Ballox with My sc60's years ago and went working away earning big bucks, then i got a Red Tax letter saying they were taking action for non payment of Tax, i spoke to em but they were adamant i was trying it on, i then went to an accountant who within 36 hours had em in my Favour.

robert d

Site Supporter
No mate But some good advice is speak to an accountant, they will sort ya, i made a Ballox with My sc60's years ago and went working away earning big bucks, then i got a Red Tax letter saying they were taking action for non payment of Tax, i spoke to em but they were adamant i was trying it on, i tghen went to an accountant who within 36 hours had em in my Favour.
My accountant was the one who said they owed me £5000 but couldn't get anywhere as they said I was employed