Float Shotting for Floats marked in Grams

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
Good evening all,

I’ve decided to make my own rigs recently but I’m confused about what shot weights to use.

I’ve seen all the charts on line that explain the 4x12, 4x10 float conversations but I don’t use floats like like, my floats are all in grams (0.1g, 0.2g etc)

My apologies if I’m coming across a bit thick or if this has been asked a million times.

So here is the question: roughly, what amount of shots and what size shots should I use for the following floats?:

(I’ll be using split shot but I also have stotz)

0.1g
0.2g
0.3g
0.4g
0.5g
0.6g
0.7g
0.8g

For example:

0.6g = 8 x No 8 shot

Thanks in advance

Rick

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
Thanks EmmaEmma but I still don’t get it...

I’ve just had a play with it and I can configure a 0.6g float as follows:

2 x no1s
Or
3 x no 4s
Or
5 x no5s

So what’s right? I’m sure it’s just me not grasping the whole concept of the calculator.. 😫😳

Rick

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
Cheers Keith,

But it still don’t think it’s answers my question. I’ve seen all the charts but i just don’t see how they help me? (😳) hence why I’ve asked what shots to use on each sized float. Maybe I’m asking the question wrong?
Would make sense if I asked what shotting would you use on all the floats I’ve asked about?

(Yes I really am that stupid before anyone says it lol)

Rick

emmaemma

Site Supporter
They are all right. it just depends what combination of shot you want to use to make up a given weight.
So for a 0.6g float, you could use a bulk of 2 x no.4s and 3 x no.8s droppers

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
Cheers scribe, that’s the conversation chart I’ve been using but it didn’t have doesn’t have a conversion for 0.3g and 0.6g on their.

Rick

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
I like to use a lot of smaller shot, I think it increases my options. For instance, I'm fishing in 3 ft of water a 0.2 float will take 10x No11 shot this would allow me to space them out shirt button style and search through the layers with a nice steady fall of the bait, if I found that the fish were feeding on the bottom I could then bulk my shot together further down the line and just leave a couple of droppers. That will then get the bait down quicker to the feeding fish. Hope that makes a bit more sense

A 0.3 float would take 10 No 10, same scenario as above

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
They are all right. it just depends what combination of shot you want to use to make up a given weight.
So for a 0.6g float, you could use a bulk of 2 x no.4s and 3 x no.8s droppers
I see! So basically there isn’t a “go to” combination then? No wonder I’m confused lol

Thanks again Emma 👍🏻

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
I like to use a lot of smaller shot, I think it increases my options. For instance, I'm fishing in 3 ft of water a 0.2 float will take 10x No11 shot this would allow me to space them out shirt button style and search through the layers with a nice steady fall of the bait, if I found that the fish were feeding on the bottom I could then bulk my shot together further down the line and just leave a couple of droppers. That will then get the bait down quicker to the feeding fish. Hope that makes a bit more sense

A 0.3 float would take 10 No 10, same scenario as above
Yes it does indeed, I totally get the reasoning about moving shot around but the thing I’ve really taken away from your post is you’re using 10 x no11s for a 0.2g float 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻That’s exactly then kind of answer I needed.

Nice one 👍🏻

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
There is no one answer.

For example, I have some 0.2 g margin floats (all my floats are marked in grammes). I either use two No.6 shot or seven No.10s. it depends how I want to fish the rig and my likely target fish.

I use a 0.5g float in Summer that I shot with three No.10 droppers and four No.6. In Winter a similar sized float is shotted with three No.10s and five No.8s.

A 1g float could be shotted with an olivette or a string of No.6s and No.10 droppers.

Basically shot the float according to your own preferences, the conditions and what type of presentation you are looking to achieve. There is no one way, and distrust anyone who tells you otherwise.

dumdum

Site Supporter
My take on it

With a strung bulk of shot for pellet fishing in summer and winter I use number nines 1” apart, and they weigh 0.05g, so a 0.4g I use 8, 0.6g I use 12, keeps it simple!

For winter and maggot fishing I tend to use 2-3 number 11 droppers and a bulk of number nines, if it’s 0.5g I’ll use two or three number 11 shot and take that as 2 number nine give or take (it’s a bit less but it allows me to trim it up on the bank) and then 8 number nines in a bulk

Both of the above I then add stotz to trim the shot up and dot it to where I want, the reason for mixing stotz and shot is shot are more stable and less likely to move on the line for most of the rig, and stotz are easier to remove and swap about if I need to adjust if the wind gets up or the float sinks a little as the stem and line absorbs water to a degree

Guy Incognito

Site Supporter
Many thanks to you all for taking time to reply, it’s ceetainly a head scratcher.

I guess I’ll just have to

dumdum

Site Supporter
Many thanks to you all for taking time to reply, it’s ceetainly a head scratcher.

I guess I’ll just have to
Don’t over think it is my best advice 👍🏼 Stick with smaller shot as they damage line far less due to less surface area and use a good uniform shot 👍🏼 I use guru as it’s very consistent

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pole-Fisher-90 Fishing Talk 6
Pokerstar Fishing Talk 24
D Fishing Talk 14
georgie boy Fishing Talk 10
G Fishing Talk 6