Fishing the pole in the wind

adz1189

Site Supporter
Just wondered if anyone had any tips on this. Expecting about 18mph in North Yorkshire tomorrow. Really enjoying using the pole lately but didn’t know wether to avoid it tomorrow if there’s a good ripple on the water and maybe opt for the method instead?

DooGie

Site Supporter
Depends which direction the wind is blowing in. An 18mph wind is ok if it's on your back, slightly less covenient in your face but if it's a side wind then forget it. It's when you get a sidewind that starts spinning you round on the seatbox that you know you made the wrong choice :)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Bad idea if the wind's from the side and you are fishing sloppy paste!
:mad:

Zerkalo

Backshots a great call.

I was fishing a canal on a whip today, only a gentle breeze but against the tow of the canal. I was dipping the tip under the water and dragging to sink the line but a backshot would have probably been the answer.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Long lash 2-3ft between pole tip and pole and back shot. I have used 3 no.4 shot about 12ins from the pole tip and have presented a float in strong winds laying line on the bottom. A strung out bulk 1inch apart starting from your hooklength. But, if your pole wants to go with the stronger gusts don't fight it, you might end up with bits of carbon everywhere.

T.I

I tend to fish either rod or pole but don't often take both. When the wind is forecast much past 15 all day it's rod and line for me.

The water condition isn't the problem particularly, it's more confidence holding the pole against the wind or deciding to go with the wind, limiting yourself to fishing short, dealing with the wind changing direction, gusting etc.

It's possible and I guess some may enjoy the technical challenge but it's not for me.

davylad

Site Supporter
I fished in quite a strong side wind yesterday, and it wasn't too bad, until all of a sudden the lake started towing as powerful as I've probably ever known. I could have put a stick float on, it lasted for around 20 minutes, then completely stopped. The wind didn't change direction, and I couldn't think why it happened, it was as though a sluice gate had opened, crazy.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Had it the other week and it wasnt pleasant. Echo the above really, backshot, heavier float, more line between pole and float.
I only ended up fishing about 6-7m.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
All of the above but, unless its a float only match I wouldnt use one personally. Main thing is .... Presentation. I love to fish a pole but, the last couple of sessions on the Aire & Calder would have been impossible with a pole. Probably would have landed me with a hefty repair / replace bill.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Just wondered if anyone had any tips on this. Expecting about 18mph in North Yorkshire tomorrow. Really enjoying using the pole lately but didn’t know wether to avoid it tomorrow if there’s a good ripple on the water and maybe opt for the method instead?
18mph is not much really. Sounds normal

adz1189

Site Supporter
Well it wasn’t too bad in the end! I started out with the backshot and around 2-3 feet between pole and float but the wind never really got to what the forecast predicted so around mid morning I shortened the distance to the float and did away with the back shots. Struggled on the 11m line had a few skimmers, roach and F1’s but had around 50lbs of F1s and carp on the top kit in the last 2 hours! Thanks for advice all sure it will come in handy on a proper blowy day!