Fishing the method question

Philfish

I am using 4 inch hooklengths for method fishing. Does thicker line mean less bites on the method or does it not matter. Also does a braided hooklink on the method spook the fish more than mono on the method.

I experimented with a few different line diameters on my last fishing trip but results were inconclusive. I would prefer to use braid or thicker mono but if it reduces bites significantly then it would be counterproductive. Fishing a weedy pond with carp up to 10lb.

Paul22

Site Supporter
Hi...... carp have poor eyesight so line visibility isn’t something I’d worr about too much.
.20 line would be spot on with carp up to 10 pound that’s about 8 or 9pound line from memory.
If you are worried about the line been too stiff which .20 isn’t try doing what Andy kinder does he uses a snap link swivel instead of a plastic quick change bead The theory is the swivel moves easily and the line will pivot on the swivel.
That’s the theory anyway........
I like to use The drennan quick change beads I find them pretty good.
When a carp or large bream for that matter takes a bait from around a method feeder it sucks it in and is hooked before it knows anything is wrong.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Within reason no the hooklength diameter has no effect. With braid check the fishery rules allow its use.

The point about The Method is that the fish root in the pile of groundbait or pellets and suck the hookbait up with it. So much so that people have experimented and caught using a bare hook.

The question is also asked about using a thicker/stronger hooklength than mainline and the worry that the mainline will break first. Simple answer is that the hooklength being shorter will not withstand the shockloading that leads to breakages. The longer and more stretchy/robust mainline will withstand those shocks better.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
If you are worried about the line been too stiff which .20 isn’t try doing what Andy kinder does he uses a snap link swivel instead of a plastic quick change bead The theory is the swivel moves easily and the line will pivot on the swivel.

I
I use a very small quick change swivel, I find it works really well. I agree with @Paul22 and think .20 is plenty strong enough. Personally I wouldn’t use braid. Most fisheries frown on braid hooklenths anyway.

Paul22

Site Supporter
Another thing I forgot to mention is I wouldn’t use braid as it can be detrimental to the fishes welfare 🐟

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I find the 4” guru hook lengths fantastic. The 6” however I’ve had numerous break for no reason
Could of been a bad batch as every one broke on the knot