Fishing Republic - The End?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
sad to hear - wishes are with staff at this sad time.
As i said, people read to much into it, they have suspended trading in their shares...they haven't gone bankrupt or decided to close down...well, not at the moment.

Phoenixicus

The educator
Problem is though when threads like this start on social media platforms they soon become distorted and then the impact is buyers are more reluctant to buy from the retailer-thus potentially worsening the situation.
It is a very vicious circle.

Shame I have used them a lot in online sales
This is the key.

Why invest in a chain of massive shops and suffer all the costs that go with them when 95% of tackle sales are now done online?

Discount stores belong online.

Why not just have a small shop with 2 staff doing bait, hooks, floats, feeders, yearbooks etc and where online purchases can be collected?

cockneybob

CockneyBob
Site Supporter
Problem is though when threads like this start on social media platforms they soon become distorted and then the impact is buyers are more reluctant to buy from the retailer-thus potentially worsening the situation.
It is a very vicious circle.
Your right with what you say Keith, I have had a few items off of them with no problems, they have even been quick to respond and to resolve a problem when I had one,
As said they suspended trading in their shares...they haven't gone bankrupt, It could better if they close some of there shops that are not too productive to cut down there overheads an concentrate on the on line sales

P_C

Site Supporter
As i said, people read to much into it, they have suspended trading in their shares...they haven't gone bankrupt or decided to close down...well, not at the moment.
I think everybody is aware of the situation Trigg. Staff have every reason to be worried.

JayBee

Site Supporter
I personally, will not mourn the demise of FR. Will never, ever use them again after the debacle of their 2017 Black Friday sale, where they took my money for non existent stock, refused to answer either phone or emails, and caused a lot of hassle to get a refund (still out of pocket).

On the other hand Bobco are brilliant, great range of products, very competitive pricing, they answer the phone (Chris Kendall gave me some great, valuable advice), respond to emails, great communication and service, So much so, that I have Bobco vouchers on my birthday and Christmas lists, I feel like a valued customer and trust them.
I feel for the FR staff, especially at this time of year, but you can't sell the deck chairs off the Titanic at below cost to keep your business viable!.

P_C

Site Supporter
Bobco are great. Huge choice, personable, fast shipping, good prices and great sales. I hope they don't change anything any time soon.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Site Supporter
Bobco are great. Huge choice, personable, fast shipping, good prices and great sales. I hope they don't change anything any time soon.
Oh, erm, somethings changing soon. But I'm confident it'll be for the good, watch this expanding space :) In the short term, I'm back at work tomorrow after a days fishing & hoping to see at least of my ill colleagues is back. Health absences have hit service a bit recently, that I hope will be changing in a positive way.

P_C

Site Supporter
Oh, erm, somethings changing soon. But I'm confident it'll be for the good, watch this expanding space :) In the short term, I'm back at work tomorrow after a days fishing & hoping to see at least of my ill colleagues is back. Health absences have hit service a bit recently, that I hope will be changing in a positive way.
Well I hope it's not BobCo trying to become AnglingDirect or FishingRepublic! Looking forward to it.

PSST You might tell the tech guy to change the 'Summer Sale' bit.

Davebhoy

Site Supporter
You’ve got to be a pretty well run business to thrive in retail at the moment and Fishing Republic doesn’t seem to have got the basics right recently

Not to say they can’t turn it around but it’s going to be an uphill struggle

Good luck to everyone employed there

foxy1964

I used Climax Tackle for years before A.D took it over in Sheffield because of the service you received, but as soon as A.D took over no one seemed to have time to speak to you as you were walking round.

Climax was and still is a huge store but the old manager and boss had a different ethos than A.D did in this particular shop (although it may have changed now), with the customer always feeling welcomed.

I'm hoping to find a decent local tackle shop for my bait and accessories when i come over to Pontefract as I'm spoilt here in Sheffield with a number of local tackle shops i can use, you can't beat a good local shop with the emphasis being on the good, but A.D does have its advantages when looking for certain things within a store, but with the internet now you don't need it, although you still need to sit on a box etc before buying it

Totally disagree about Climax, I went in there twice, while working in the area. looking to buy a couple of rods and was totally ignored while the staff got on with there phone calls and chatting to some old codger spending a fiver if they were lucky. Yes it was a big shop, but the layout sucked and without help from the staff you had little hope of finding anything. Sorry all this great shop come and have a cuppa and a chat is baloney, if it stops genuine customers finding what they want and buying it, they're supposed to be businesses not social clubs, I suspect their bank managers would agree!

jononcb

Taken from Retail Gazette.

More than 100 jobs are in jeopardy as Fishing Republic desperately seeks emergency funding to continue trading.

Fishing Republic, one of the largest fishing retailers in the UK, warned investors today that its future was in “significant doubt”.

Late last month it was reported that “certain major shareholders” would no longer provide financial support after sales were “significantly affected by strong competitive pressures”.

READ MORE:

Fishing Republic on the brink of collapse after shares suspended

Its shares were subsequently frozen on the AIM market, and the retailer is now scrambling to secure funding to cover its immediate costs in order to continue trading.

Its incoming new chief executive Daniel Quinn, who was due to start on October 17, also said he would postpone joining the company after the news, while its current boss and former executive chairman James Newman holds the fort.

Quinn previously worked at JD Sports and Tesco and was drafted in by former Tesco Boss Sir Terry Leahy, who owns a 9.3 per cent stake in Fishing Republic, in an attempt to turn Fishing Republic around.

The retailer posted a pre-tax loss of £2.5 million in September, up from a £117,544 loss a year earlier.

jononcb

If anyone is after a bargain new seatbox FR have now reduced the price of a new Matrix S36 box down to £210.