fishing republic and the loss of drennan

Going back to the original thread of this conversation, Fishing Republic has not dealt with Drennan (And Vice-Versa) since November 2017, thats nearly 2 years. Yes, the account was closed due to the infamous Black Friday of 2017 and yes Drennan do abhore discounting hence the closure of the account.
Now however, we have completely new Management in charge of Fishing Republic who are focussed on building a stable and reliable business and the main aim is to regain our reputation in the industry, hence some of the things being put into place behind the scenes that people outsdie of the business will not particularly be aware of until further down the line.

We are working hard with the brands we deal with to offer a good product offering to our customers and make sure the customer service they receive both instore an online is as good as it ever was.

Yes price maintenance is illegal, however in this industry it is rife, but as our industry is so small compared to others, why would any goverment body be bothered with enforcing it? What financial benefit would they get back in return for the work and effort needed?

Although illegal, I would not agree that it is wrong. some brands would benefit from fixed retail pricing as certain retailers are destroying a particular brand to garner market share. This provides short term turnover for the brand but not long term success.

rudd

Going back to the original thread of this conversation, Fishing Republic has not dealt with Drennan (And Vice-Versa) since November 2017, thats nearly 2 years. Yes, the account was closed due to the infamous Black Friday of 2017 and yes Drennan do abhore discounting hence the closure of the account.
Now however, we have completely new Management in charge of Fishing Republic who are focussed on building a stable and reliable business and the main aim is to regain our reputation in the industry, hence some of the things being put into place behind the scenes that people outsdie of the business will not particularly be aware of until further down the line.

We are working hard with the brands we deal with to offer a good product offering to our customers and make sure the customer service they receive both instore an online is as good as it ever was.

Yes price maintenance is illegal, however in this industry it is rife, but as our industry is so small compared to others, why would any goverment body be bothered with enforcing it? What financial benefit would they get back in return for the work and effort needed?

Although illegal, I would not agree that it is wrong. some brands would benefit from fixed retail pricing as certain retailers are destroying a particular brand to garner market share. This provides short term turnover for the brand but not long term success.
Can only guess you wotk there at a high level?

No Richard online also, discounted at the checkout.
My mistake, I always thought it was instore only.
Hence I have no idea, maybe Bob's face fits whereas ours did not? It certainly was not a question of turnover.
Hats off to him if he does it and "gets away" with it. He certainly has an enviable business and a firm foundation for future, no matter who opens up in Leeds.

Simon R

Site Supporter
It's simply that BobCo don't advertise Drennan discounts specifically - it's just a blanket discount across the store.

I'm sure that if they stated "Get 10% off a Drennan Acolyte Ultra this weekend only" or something similar then Mr Drennan would probably have something to say but since it's store wide it's ignored.

Simon

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Plus Bobco don't advertise stock that they never had in the first place which was common at one point but is slowly being stopped.

Plus Bobco don't advertise stock that they never had in the first place which was common at one point but is slowly being stopped.
Who's stopping that? It looks as rife as ever from here from the usual suspects.
Admittedly it happens when people have websites not linked to any epos or stock management system.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
As you say no big deal, and for me there are plenty of alternatives, but telling a shop only to sell at their RRP just goes against the grain for me, must be old age or something,but once the shop has brought it from Drennan they should be able to put a price tag on the product whatever they wish.
They can put any price tag they wish on Drennan tackle.

But Drennan can decide not to supply them if they wish. Simple.

trotter2

It's got to be turn over, imagine how much stuff bobco sells on a bank holiday sale. To good to miss for Mr Drennan. Can't be out else. You can speculate all you like but ultimately money talks. Fishing tackle is no different to any other business.

Sam Vimes

An awful lot of tackle shops use Drennan's tight pricing policies as an excuse to be rigid on price. Fair enough, they are businesses, you can't blame them. However, it's never been entirely true that the dealers don't have some wriggle room on Drennan prices. I've managed to extract good deals on current Drennan kit from places other than Bobco. Whatever people say, it's not genuine price fixing.

However, even if it were, so what? Provided that the company concerned is fair with it's RRPs, and fixed prices aren't a rip off, then it can work to the customer's, and retailer's, benefit. Your local shop can justify stocking their kit because he knows that the big boys won't absolutely hammer him on price. A customer is also going to be happy to buy from their local knowing that they are unlikely to get an item significantly cheaper elsewhere.

The added bonus is that second hand prices stay reasonably healthy because the end of line discounters won't be knocking a £200 rod out for £75 when they are discontinued. In this respect, what Fishing Republic did a couple of years back has been damaging. Second hand buyers know that FR heavily discounted Drennan stuff. The assumption is that every Drennan rod available was bought at a stupidly low FR desperation sale price. They'll generally think that 50-60% of the FR sale price is what they should pay for a second hand item.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Any shop can sell tackle at the price they want to simple as that,even at a loss to themselves which is normally what happens before the shop goes bust mostly because they are desperate to convert stock to cash to pay the bills plus its much harder to recover tackle by the manufacturer for non payment if its out the door.
The punters benefit from getting a cheap deal but the brand suffers often through bad debt and at the same time as Sam says above the brand itself is devalued in the punters eyes.
Most Tackle firms of any size are adjusting their terms and conditions of sale so people who have never had stock of a certain rod for example but advertise same rod at a very cheap price just to get you on their website where they hope you will see its out of stock and buy something else.
There is no problem with me putting a sign up in my shop along the lines of "Free Fox reel with every spool of line bought this week" or similar but if I put that in an advert on the web it would cause problems so now the trend is to have specific terms that will close your account if you start doing stupid deals.

Simon R

Site Supporter
However, it's never been entirely true that the dealers don't have some wriggle room on Drennan prices. I've managed to extract good deals on current Drennan kit from places other than Bobco.
Almost all my Drennan gear I've bought from the local tackle shop - and I've received discount on all of it
I'm not willing to say how much but I came out smiling and the tackle shop still made a reasonable profit (y)

Simon

trotter2

I think a few guys are indeed talking about the very same shop (good shop that it is) however you have to ask nicely and be known to the owner . The full retail price is marked on the rods. I would imagine a lot more places do the same it is a competive world after all. Bobco sales are a little different and you can check the prices out online when it's a sale before you press the pay button. So it's a bit more open a far as advertising goes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Fishing Talk 18
muggins Fishing Talk 4
Dave Fishing Talk 7
Trogg The Club House 4
T Fishing Talk 2