Fishing pole and Rheumatoid arthritis

catzeyes79

Hi
Does anyone have Rheumatoid arthritis and use a fishing pole.

I'm trying to get back into angling after many years away and my father in law has suggested a fishing pole.

Can you get rests for poles instead of holding them all the time?

Thanks in advance.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi there and welcome..

In answer to your question, yes there are rests available, and in a number of styles. If you want a couple you can screw into a normal bankstick there are these..

To fit chairs and seatboxes, these..

No doubt others will be along to post others, or give advice.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Type ..... ' Fishing pole support and rod rest ' into eBay and see if this will fit your box. Sorry, I couldn't get it to copy. 👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Type ..... ' Fishing pole support and rod rest ' into eBay and see if this will fit your box. Sorry, I couldn't get it to copy. 👍
Did you mean this one mick?...

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20 years now and my main problem is in my wrists. I find it painful using a rod especially waggles,though feeder is easier. 95 % of my fishing is now done with a pole and mostly no more than 8 metres.
I have for many years used an old penrose pole support with a mini roller on the end so together with a back roller I can easily ship out and then transfer the pole over my knee to fish.
On my left I also have a mini roller attached to the front leg of my box which I use to slide out my landing net.
To be honest if I it wasn’t for my pole I would have given up fishing some time ago. I will see if I can find any photos of my set up( I’m sure @Peter has probably got one )

catzeyes79

Ukzero and Mick thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

I had been searching Google and YouTube but didn't come across any of these.

👍😁😁

catzeyes79

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20 years now and my main problem is in my wrists. I find it painful using a rod especially waggles,though feeder is easier. 95 % of my fishing is now done with a pole and mostly no more than 8 metres.
I have for many years used an old penrose pole support with a mini roller on the end so together with a back roller I can easily ship out and then transfer the pole over my knee to fish.
On my left I also have a mini roller attached to the front leg of my box which I use to slide out my landing net.
To be honest if I it wasn’t for my pole I would have given up fishing some time ago. I will see if I can find any photos of my set up( I’m sure @Peter has probably got one )
Dave,

This sounds very similar to me and in part why I stopped. Any pics would be great so I could have an idea of how you have setup.

Thank you so much, this makes me feel a bit easier and hopefully I'll be back fishing soon 😁😁😁😁

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not sure I have Dave, but I'm sure we can take a couple of clear pictures showing your set up over the weekend, :upthumb:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
No problem, I'll post them on here on Monday when we are back. ;)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Ukzero and Mick thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

I had been searching Google and YouTube but didn't come across any of these.

👍😁😁
No thanks needed mate, We're here to help each other out if we can. :upthumb:

Last edited:

Scribe

Site Supporter
@catzeyes79 I have a metal pin in one wrist which does play up now & then especially in Winter. I have a small Preston Eva Pole Roller on a short L-arm on the rear leg of my seat-box and have used one on a bank stick to support my first pole a Middy M3 13 Metre pole when using it at full length. Being a margin pole it's a lot beefier and hence heavier at 13 Metres than my now main pole Daiwa Whisker XLS which I can handle with no problems. I would recommend using a V roller as it will aid with shipping in & out compared to just a standard rest. The only problem with using a V pole roller on a bank stick is having to move the bank stick around if you want to fish different areas. If you fish using a seat box then maybe a bump bar would help

I still use the V pole roller on my seat box as it's great for setting the correct height for my main pole rollers. Getting the right height, to ship the pole in & out will help, as your not bearing the weight of the pole, from the nearest pole roller to where you want to fish.

I am going fishing tomorrow so will take a picture of my setup and post it.

Preston small/large V Pole Roller

catzeyes79

@catzeyes79 I have a metal pin in one wrist which does play up now & then especially in Winter. I have a small Preston Eva Pole Roller on a short L-arm on the rear leg of my seat-box and have used one on a bank stick to support my first pole a Middy M3 13 Metre pole when using it at full length. Being a margin pole it's a lot beefier and hence heavier at 13 Metres than my now main pole Daiwa Whisker XLS which I can handle with no problems. I would recommend using a V roller as it will aid with shipping in & out compared to just a standard rest. The only problem with using a V pole roller on a bank stick is having to move the bank stick around if you want to fish different areas. If you fish using a seat box then maybe a bump bar would help

I still use the V pole roller on my seat box as it's great for setting the correct height for my main pole rollers. Getting the right height, to ship the pole in & out will help, as your not bearing the weight of the pole, from the nearest pole roller to where you want to fish.

I am going fishing tomorrow so will take a picture of my setup and post it.

Preston small/large V Pole Roller
Thank you very much.
I like the idea of the v rollers as a start on bank sticks until I can afford a box.

Seeing pictures of people's setup will be invaluable.
👍😁😁

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Hi
Does anyone have Rheumatoid arthritis and use a fishing pole.

I'm trying to get back into angling after many years away and my father in law has suggested a fishing pole.

Can you get rests for poles instead of holding them all the time?

Thanks in advance.
Got "end plate changes" in my spine. Oh the joys of fishing the pole with that going on

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Got collapsed discs... steroid jab and 2 nerve ablations and its still no better... getting up or down is done carefully and sitting straight is imperative

baz1

Had arthritis for 50 years and now Parkinson,s so can feel for you and your problem. Lots of suggestions will come your way from this forum. I had to sell my long pole and bought a Browning margin pole, for the lightness. I too use a pole rest, using the two front legs and rest the pole on it and the butt between my legs in the cup on my box. No stress in either of my wrists this way or my arms. Obviously problem for me is that I cannot catch any fish. All the best young man, do not give up, keep trying and you will succeed.