Fishing line?

dcdd1

Thanks for all your comments I'm now going to use these…….. will go for 6lb waggler Preston Innovations Reflo Power Max BLUE Line Coarse Fishing......8lb feeder Preston innovations Reflo sinking feeder mono line carp fishing.

trotter2

6 lb maxima is extremely strong line I think 8lb would be overdoing it. Most of the time I use 4 lb and have landed carp up to 17 lb on that.

Silverfisher

You'd only need 10lb on the feeder if fishing big rivers for big barbel. I'd also drop to 4lb on the waggler unless you are literally going to be catching mostly double figure carp.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You'd only need 10lb on the feeder if fishing big rivers for big barbel. I'd also drop to 4lb on the waggler unless you are literally going to be catching mostly double figure carp.
I only ever use 4lb when fishing the waggler for carp and that’s in the summer, 3lb in the winter - that’s for fish 5lb to 20lb+. For fishing the lead or feeder, I use 6lb in winter and 8lb in summer, unless I want to cast a long way, then it’s 4lb or 5lb with a shock leader.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
6 lb maxima is extremely strong line I think 8lb would be overdoing it. Most of the time I use 4 lb and have landed carp up to 17 lb on that.
Ive samples using both 6lb and 8lb on the method feeder and found in the summer it makes absolutely no difference to the amount of bites I get.
I tend to use 6lb but if I know I’ll run into a few doubles I’ll use 8lb.

From a personal point of view I can’t see any need for going lighter than 6lb on the method feeder.

Edit - would agree 4lb is sufficient for the waggler though.

neil1313

Is that 10lb line on 10ft feeder and 6lb on 11ft waggler?
put 10lb on reel on my feeder rod some big monsters and a few big snags but if I use a peg that's not snaggy I use the 6lb but nearly always use a hook lengh if I use the 6lb spool of prob 3 or 4 lb but the place I fish I have been snapped on 10lb right though but always caught if I use 10lb right though but everyboby has the own chose

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Will Raison reckons 8lb mainline for Pellet Waggler fishing here. I think it all depends on venue. I have only fished a few venues where line that strong is necessary.

On my new reel I'm going to put 10lb Pro Gold for Barbel fishing and 6lb Pro Gold for Tench fishing but I might use the 6lb spool in Summer for commercial Carp fishing. At the moment in winter I have 4lb line which is doing me for feeding fishing for single figure Carp, would change that in Summer.

Silverfisher

Yeah I think 6lb is sensible if you are actively targeting commercial carp that could clear the 10lb mark regularly but for a general waggler rod I'd never go above 4lb.

8lb just seems mad for any float fishing to me unless you count using a controller float for surface fishing as float fishing, it would be a sod to cast and strike with on a float rod for starters. I always think of that episode of go fishing when Wilson got a 20lb carp out of a fast flowing and heavily weeded chalkstream on 8lb line. Now I know he's better at playing fish better than any of us but it shows what 8lb can do and therefore shows that it's only needed in pretty extreme circumstances.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah the only time I ever needed 8lb was margin fishing for lumps on rod with a pole float so I didn't need to cast with it. An extreme situation but then the kind of fishing Will Raison does is extreme in a way. Some carp will snap you at 4lb. :)

Love Will BTW had a day fishing with him once as a kid.

Silverfisher

Tbh your hooklength should always snap before you mainline as well. If there's carp in a venue I'll probably have a hooklength go on average once a session (sub 3lb hooklengths tbf) but I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had mainline go on me when coarse fishing. Thats mostly with 3lb or 4lb line as well as I only started feeder fishing alongside my float fishing about 5 years so doubt I'd have even used 6lb or above before that. Have only had 8lb go on me once on what I suspect was a double figure barbel on a rocky and quite fast bit of the Severn. I say suspect that size as the 4lb barbel I had about 10 minutes earlier came in like a skimmer on that gear compared to whatever broke me off that time.

And yeah from what I've seen on TV of will raison he does seem a nice bloke.