Fishing and social distancing

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I’ve been 3 times since we have been allowed and to 2 different fishery’s. I chose 2 that have plenty of space and openness. No one needs to pass me within 2mtrs and these fishery’s advertise that they have rules to follow. While fishing the fishery’s seem to be sticking to their rules and be well organised. But I still see people turning up 3 or 4 in a vehicle, clearly not brothers unless they have different mothers. Surely to help stop the spread these should be turned away. Take yesterday, 3 lads in one van, sat in 3 pegs but 1 landing net. Back and forth to the cafe every 20min. Stood as a group in doorway smoking and chatting. 1 even borrowed a chair from the cafe to fish on. It meant I went all day without a brew, I starting shaking. I’d had thought cafes, hairdressers etc (when open) would need to disinfect chairs n tables after each use.
Anyone else been and seen wrong doing.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
havnt been purely because i know i would see stuff like this, total madness and yes they do have to disinfect.

my neighbour owns a chain of shoe shops, new rules are any pair of shoes that are tried on then have to be isolated for 3 days, all shelves, seats etc have to be disinfected every 30 mins, i didnt ask if these were rules from the government or from another body etc.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve been down the canal twice and once to a commercial and I have to say all the anglers have been brilliant. Easily distanced a good 3M when passing each other and easily over 15M on pegging and I’ve not seen anyone come in the same car save for fathers and sons. Lots of people with hand sanitizers as well so can’t complain at all so far around here but guess it’s completely dependent on where you go. Must confess me and my grandad have sat about 10M apart. Figure there has to be a bit of common sense when we live just a few hundred yards apart and the only places either of us have been outside the village in 2 months is when we’ve been fishing together so I’m sure we could sit on top of each other and be safe. 10M to still be in ear shot is perfectly safe and enough to be seen to be doing the right thing.

Only downside on has been on the canal where despite there being enough room to pass you a good 20M it seems nearly half the walkers pass you at just over 2M. I think it’s plain bad manners as it takes no effort to deviate off your route a little more to make it much safer.

sampower

One thinks we are further through this pandemic than it appears.. as a council worker, it’s become apparent that distancing measures are becoming less important. MY missus and mother in law are nurses, one working in ICU and one an anaesthetic nurse - their opinion is that thing is on its way out - government knowing this have given freedom for people to move which evidently means people will flout the guidelines - it’s almost been two weeks now and cases aren’t on the up, no new spike imminent. It’s about time people stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and start living their life - the government aren’t walking us all in to a new spike - despite anyone’s beliefs (I personally think they’re a crock of sh*t) they aren’t stupid enough to be naive to what is happening - they know people will forget to distance and will flout the guidelines. If they thought this was going to cause a risk of this worsening or not slowing down, they’d of kept lockdown. The financial impact of a new spike would be far worse than continuing the ongoing lockdown, and considering their primary focus is the economy and not our safety, it clearly demonstrates that they know the risks are diminishing.

I get the news panics people still, but as always we shouldn’t be reading this rubbish. If you let headlines influence what you do then more fool you. Get out, go fishing, ignore others!

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
That depends what area you’re in. My sister in law is a nurse and here in the north west we are still getting it bad. Our line has only slightly dropped. London’s has gone off a cliff so yes I can see them walking around more relaxed but not everywhere. The results are 3wk behind so the effects of easing lockdown will shown from June.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Only downside on has been on the canal where despite there being enough room to pass you a good 20M it seems nearly half the walkers pass you at just over 2M. I think it’s plain bad manners as it takes no effort to deviate off your route a little more to make it much safer.
Fence pins and red and white striped tape should keep them away😉. Used to stake the tape round my motor to stop cows licking the paintwork years ago.

genesis

Living Leg End
Site Supporter
The old broadsword or claymore mine very effective. I know a chap who has some.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have been putting my landing net behind me if I see someone that looks thick coming as that forces them to go at least 2.5M from me. I was thinking of making a sign to remind the thick people that there is a pandemic going on but a mock up mine field might be more fun now you all mention it ;)

genesis

Living Leg End
Site Supporter
I have been putting my landing net behind me if I see someone that looks thick coming as that forces them to go at least 2.5M from me. I was thinking of making a sign to remind the thick people that there is a pandemic going on but a mock up mine field might be more fun now you all mention it ;)
Many years ago a mate of mine got sick of walkers and anglers asking if he had caught owt, so he had a t-shirt made up and printed on the back. "Yes I am fishing. No I haven't caught anything. So don't fooking ask me. We used to watch in the matches as they approached him and read the back of his t-shirt then quickly moved on :D

160642fishing

Site Supporter
It's not just passers by,I fish a commercial where the owners or staff will insist on standing on the edge of the lake asking if I've caught,just when you've started getting bites in the shallow margins,when I politely ask them not to do it they say "oh it doesn't bother them here",now I spread rod bags and anything else I don't need to hand down the peg.

davylad

Site Supporter
I reckon it's a bit early to start thinking this thing is going away, I mean there's only roughly a 1/4 million that's contacted the virus in the UK, yet the population is over 60 million. That seems to mean the lock down is working. Only time will tell when people start mixing again, I reckon until we get a vaccine it will always be a threat. To just casually dismiss it is stupid, so please Sam, keep away from me cocker. ;)

Paul.P

One thinks we are further through this pandemic than it appears.. as a council worker, it’s become apparent that distancing measures are becoming less important. MY missus and mother in law are nurses, one working in ICU and one an anaesthetic nurse - their opinion is that thing is on its way out - government knowing this have given freedom for people to move which evidently means people will flout the guidelines - it’s almost been two weeks now and cases aren’t on the up, no new spike imminent. It’s about time people stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and start living their life - the government aren’t walking us all in to a new spike - despite anyone’s beliefs (I personally think they’re a crock of sh*t) they aren’t stupid enough to be naive to what is happening - they know people will forget to distance and will flout the guidelines. If they thought this was going to cause a risk of this worsening or not slowing down, they’d of kept lockdown. The financial impact of a new spike would be far worse than continuing the ongoing lockdown, and considering their primary focus is the economy and not our safety, it clearly demonstrates that they know the risks are diminishing.

I get the news panics people still, but as always we shouldn’t be reading this rubbish. If you let headlines influence what you do then more fool you. Get out, go fishing, ignore others!
Oh, I do hope your right ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????