Fishing and mental health

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I finished work 2.5 yrs ago 1.5 yrs early, I was completely hacked off with the whole shabang and was a very angry Man.
When I retired I took up fishing and the difference is amazing I dont think its all down to retiring because I feel more calm and relaxed just prior to a session and after, even if it twer a blank.😁😁😁

Me and my lad

What a great thread! My Doc prescribed fishing when I succumbed to mental health issues. More than that I went on a dating site and put that I needed to be near water for mental stability...it was surprising how many ladies felt the same. Therefore the fishing helps and I am testament to its healing qualities

derwentboy

Tell you what we have come a long way indeed really when you have men (fishermen) talking about their mental health in such a way on an online forum such as this and how angling helps them. This is far more healthy than 'stiff upper lip and just get on with it was never like that in my day' because times/working lives are far more intense these days than they were. I think forces veterans set some of the best examples of this of being open about mental health given some of the experiences that they have gone through.
Back to the fishing, I can't quite quantify it but it helps me immeasurably.When your sole point of concentration is catching a fish and the skill involved in doing it (be it chasing a trout in a rocky mountain stream or waiting for a summer tench lift bite) takes you back milennia. They were fishing back in the Stone Age so nothing''s changed. There's nobody breathing down your neck asking you why you haven't caught x amount of fish by y oclock and that your target keepnet deadline is looming and if you don't meet it your rod will be taken off you and given to another angler. To me in our working lives we have been riding on a tidal wave of imported American management bullshit babble for 30 odd years now....mission statements/targets/performance/criteria....you can't just go to work, do your job, do it well and go home anymore. Fishing keeps lives simple and some may say stupid.......I'm happy for that because it helps get me through.

Joe C

Tell you what we have come a long way indeed really when you have men (fishermen) talking about their mental health in such a way on an online forum such as this and how angling helps them. This is far more healthy than 'stiff upper lip and just get on with it was never like that in my day' because times/working lives are far more intense these days than they were. I think forces veterans set some of the best examples of this of being open about mental health given some of the experiences that they have gone through.
Back to the fishing, I can't quite quantify it but it helps me immeasurably.When your sole point of concentration is catching a fish and the skill involved in doing it (be it chasing a trout in a rocky mountain stream or waiting for a summer tench lift bite) takes you back milennia. They were fishing back in the Stone Age so nothing''s changed. There's nobody breathing down your neck asking you why you haven't caught x amount of fish by y oclock and that your target keepnet deadline is looming and if you don't meet it your rod will be taken off you and given to another angler. To me in our working lives we have been riding on a tidal wave of imported American management bullshit babble for 30 odd years now....mission statements/targets/performance/criteria....you can't just go to work, do your job, do it well and go home anymore. Fishing keeps lives simple and some may say stupid.......I'm happy for that because it helps get me through.
Wholeheartedly agree with this. I don’t know whether mental health issues have risen in the last few years or whether it’s always been around and people were scared of being judged, but it’s brilliant that it’s so openly talked about now. I can’t help feeling like the rise of technology and anxiety disorders go hand in hand though. That’s Part of the reason I think why doing something which is so primal like catching fish is very good for the mind, even just being away from my phone for a few hours makes a big difference.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
A survey (via the EA) dropped into my email inbox last week - all about fishing and mental health.

View attachment 23144

I got halfway through it before giving up - all the questions were of the multiple tick box type - you know the ones with headers like strongly agree, somewhat agree etc etc.
But the way the questions were worded it seemed they were assuming the user (ie the person filling in the survey) already had various underlying mental health issues - mainly to do with anxiety. I'm not really sure what the term means but reading various articles online it appears that what I would class as nervousness (job interview, meeting a new client, going to the dentist etc) should actually be classed as anxiety and I should get counselling and be on some sort of medication. What a load of rubbish.

Anyway since there wasn't a 'not applicable' option I left the boxes blank but then every time I tried to submit the survey it kept telling me it was incomplete - to be honest I should have given up earlier - after I'd navigated my way through the six different possible genders and a similar number of sexual orientation choices. This is a survey aimed at anglers ffs.

I'm sure whoever it is behind this research will be able to gain some valuable scientific knowledge regarding the mental health of anglers once the data is compiled - what they're gonna do with this knowledge is anybodies guess - maybe we'll get angling on the National Health :p

Simon
I absolutely agree with you there about the allusion of the respondent being a sufferer of anxiety.. I actually completed the survey and thought as an angler of 50+ years and a non anxiety sufferer, I thought it pretty pointless.