Fish food

TrickyD

Site Supporter
With the fishing on hold for the foreseeable future, how will all the fish in man made overstocked commercial fisheries survive ? Without the daily bombardment of anglers pellets/boilies or whatever, will most owners be out feeding the fish, as the fish may be unaccustomed to fending for themselves.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
A fish, being a cold blooded animal, has a fairly low metabolic rate. They are able to survive quite long periods with little food. Just consider what happens in Winter.

Have no fear, commercial fisheries will still be really easy places to catch 200lb every visit once the crisis is over.

Warden

Site Supporter
They are and still will be fed on a daily basis running a good fishery involves knowing exactly what stock is in the water knowing what feed they need daily how much food goes in over a period of time this can be worked out by the amount of pellets sold on the day and the health of the fish one of the reasons (not the only one)some fishery's ask you not to throw your bait in at the end of a match. knowing what bait is going in affects the catch rate a venue that is match fished regularly will not need as much extra feed adding as one that has just been used for pleasure fishing.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The weather is also getting warmer so there will 'naturals' to feed off, bloodworm, insects etc.

rd350lc

Good point , but I'd be more concerned about Cormorants scoffing everything in sight with no folk about .

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The thing with some of the newer fisheries is they may have lined or puddled bottoms, also very sparse,if any, bank side growth, so they may not have the amount of natural food for the head of fish.Spawning is also on the horizon, with fish needing to eat more, so here could be a higher amount of predation on young than usual .

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
I hear Fish can last quite a while without Food but not so long without Water

carphauler

They are and still will be fed on a daily basis running a good fishery involves knowing exactly what stock is in the water knowing what feed they need daily how much food goes in over a period of time.
I think that's a little bit optimistic, from some of the fisheries I fish and have fished, I can almost guarantee that there's no way the owners will waste money throwing in pellets for no profit.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I would certainly hope that as the weather improves and waters warm up that fishery owners will be feeding the fish in their overstocked ponds - otherwise they will starve to death. Don't forget that most commercials are stocked at levels of generally 6 to 8 times in excess of EA recommendations so the fish, when active, are hungry most of the time.

There's a local fishery near here called Renny Lake - the guy who owns it previously had another pond down the road (Stony Lane) During the foot & mouth outbreak in 2001 he wasn't able to access the fishery for around eight weeks (nor was anybody else) With the assistance of the EA and DEFRA he finally got access - after having to pay for a full risk assessment to be carried out. The lake was stocked with carp, a few chub and roach that had bred uncontrollably. The EA took away a few fish for analysis - the roach were on the verge of starving to death and the carp only a few weeks behind - the only fish that were prospering were the chub - mopping up all the semi-lifeless roach.o_O

The majority of fisheries would face the same scenario if they had to close down for any length of time but unlike the F&M outbreak the owners should still be able to gain access and keep the fish fed.

this can be worked out by the amount of pellets sold on the day and the health of the fish one of the reasons (not the only one)some fishery's ask you not to throw your bait in at the end of a match.
Although a fishery may know how many pellets have been sold they have absolutely no idea how many have been fed - it may have been a poor day and the angler may have fed only half what he's bought - another day he might feed both what he'd bought on the day and left over pellets from previous visits.
Lakes used purely for match fishing normally have bait limits so a rough estimation of how much has been fed can be deduced. Pleasure fishing lakes generally don't have these limits so the amount fed will vary between practically nowt to somebody who's read the latest article in carpy monthly and spods in enough bait for a 10 acre lake into a half acre puddle - I've seen it happen:p:rolleyes:

Simon

Silverfisher

Tbh if a lakes population can’t sustain itself on natural food for a couple months at this time of year then it’s disgracefully over stocked in my opinion.