first post! and a very niche question!

JWD

Hi folks, thank-you for having me on your forum!
I've been pleasure fishing for a good few years, much less now that i'm at uni. My absolute favourite type of fishing is going and exploring waters that are rarely or never fished or wild stretches of river and seeing what they have to offer! My local rivers are the irwell and roch in bury.

With that in mind i was wondering if anyone has recently attempted a cast or two up at Deeply Vale in bury? i've been going up there for years for a bit of peace and quiet. I've only ever had minnow's from the buckhurst lodge (and then got kicked off) and tiny tiny trout on spinners from the stream connecting the two main waters!
I'm planning on heading up on wednesday and trying the lower lodge, i've been told it holds fish but i've never seen any or even the slightest bit of activity.
any advice would be very gratefully received

Many thanks
Joe

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi there and welcome...

Have you tried flicking in a few floaters or bits of bread to see if there's the odd swirl? Maybe a few floating casters?

Silverfisher

No idea about that area but feel your pain on Uni limiting fishing time. I had the avon, the stour and the itchen within easy reach of my Uni but couldn't drive at the time so my fishing back then was limited to when I was back home for term breaks when I could go with someone. Mind you had I been able to drive back then I probably would have failed my degree so probably for the best that I couldn't!

JWD

Is it a trout river?
the irwell isn't an easy river but yes it does hold some excellent trout in the upper reaches! if you're eluding to it currently being close season then worry not i am well aware :)

i have tried a coulple times throwing maggots and bread to no avail, the water is a few acres and very varying terrain, however if there are small trout in the stream before it then it follows that some larger specimens are present in the large water after it surely?

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Don't know if it's still open but Fishermans Way tackle shop on Walmersley rd used to be the place for advice on local waters when I lived over Bury way. I'd go and see if they could give you a pointer or two. I don't know the waters you mention apart from the Roch and Irwell but I never fished either of them.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
When you locate the trout jwd try tickling em, it works over the border in GODS County. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Fishing Talk 2
mickthestick The Politics Room 8
B The Club House 3
JumpinJackBream Fishing Talk 23
I Species Specific 19