Fill my winder tray

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have two 13 winder trays, that's 26 winders in total that need filling and I want some new pole floats. Give me something to tie up during the corona season.

What floats would you buy and why? I see SRG and NG already but I'm useless at picking out the right patterns online.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Just had a set of 6 SRG floats delivered yesterday. They are 0.3g chianti (2 of each - black, red & yellow tips). Cost £7.99 on Amazon
I'm a bit clueless when it comes to stems.
I'd get a mix of slim bodied like chianti and some for when the water's a bit deeper or choppy. Have a look at Neil of the Nene's blog. There's a good section on floats in that.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm thinking of going for Drennan floats. Like the look of AS4s (Pencils) and AS5s and Margin Crystals to cover most of my commercial fishing. To be honest the Margin Crystals will cover most of my pole fishing on commercials. I already have a few floats but want 26 new ones. Think I'm covered for my canal fishing at the moment.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
For Silvers and F1’s then Malman F1 Titan, and Carbon. For Carp Dusty or Rob with either a carbon or Titan stem.
For margin and snake lakes Elko and possibly Speedy for that surface skim.
Also have a look at Hillbilly floats Neil does a good range.

Scribe

Site Supporter
I Have refined my pole floats down now from having all sorts of floats I have settled on 3 patters for most of my fishing.

When you can get back on the bank maybe try a selection until you find patterns you like for shallow, on the deck and far bank / margin.

But don't take my word fir it....

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Depends on you’re venues, species, shallow,deck, edge, mudline etc... personally I’m not one for simplifying down to 3 or 4 patterns !! It’s impossible, I use a float I believe is correct for each situation , not making do, for the sake of trying to keep to a minimum...others will disagree....also you’re going to get loads of different answers, floats for me are a personal thing and I like to do my own thing

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I have two 13 winder trays, that's 26 winders in total that need filling and I want some new pole floats. Give me something to tie up during the corona season.

What floats would you buy and why? I see SRG and NG already but I'm useless at picking out the right patterns online.
You won't get much better than NG in my opinion I'd go for a mix of 4x10 4x12 4x14 4×16 a few margin floats in 4x14 short style and few short style for up in the water and far bank. I do like his virtually unbreakable range fibre glass stems

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One thing I think local tackle shops fail at is having a good selection of pole floats. Normally they are on a foam display and I can pick a couple out of the same size but that means my collection at the moment is all over the place with patterns and sizes. I'd like to be able to bulk buy a good selection. Thanks for all replies. It will be an ongoing consideration.

acart8426

RW Dinks & RW Maggies ;)

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
I Have refined my pole floats down now from having all sorts of floats I have settled on 3 patters for most of my fishing.

When you can get back on the bank maybe try a selection until you find patterns you like for shallow, on the deck and far bank / margin.

But don't take my word fir it....

I followed the exact same advice last year and have narrowed my floats down to 3 or 4 patterns.
Did my fishing the world of good

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Ive done the same dusty

I have 4 patterns from nick gilbert that cover near all my fishing

and two patterns from niel at hillbilly floats

you get used to how those float react in any given situation, or shotting pattern

far simpler that way, and Ive found, far more effective

acart8426

Depends on what your fishing for and depth

Agreed with above , reduce your patterns makes it a lot simpler , on a commercial your still looking at 5 patterns although two have the same body but different stems

Wire stem chianti style for pellet ie rw dink up to 8ft max
Carbon stem chianti style for maggot up to 8ft max
Margin/Mudline float probably get away with the same float pattern teardrop short glass stem
Deep swims 8ft plus probably a chimp style body wire stem
Shallow probably 3 different patterns dependent on depth

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Problem I have with pole fishing in Summer I only usually have two lines? A margin line and an up in the water line. Takes out the need to have too many patterns. Already have Jigga floats for up in the water, could do with a few dibbers maybe. Actually I often us e the same dibbers for shallow and the margin.So I could buy a load of floats and never really use them, especially as I'm planning on fishing the waggler a lot more this year when I buy an Excellence rod.

carphauler

I only use rugby ball shape that I make myself but I would recommend buying anything in a chianti shape as this seems to be the goto shape at the moment.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
NG for me, If in doubt give give Nick a ring and explain what you want the floats for and he'll recommend some patterns/sizes to suit . ;)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing I think local tackle shops fail at is having a good selection of pole floats. Normally they are on a foam display and I can pick a couple out of the same size but that means my collection at the moment is all over the place with patterns and sizes. I'd like to be able to bulk buy a good selection. Thanks for all replies. It will be an ongoing consideration.
Tackle shops don’t stock many floats because so many people are buying them from the bespoke float makers, some of which are very good and actually make their floats, turning their own bodies etc. down to those who assemble bought components, some well, some not so well and pass them off as bespoke.

I tend to use Malman Roobs, a couple of Hillbilly patterns (Neil makes great floats), Chianti’s and a couple of patterns I make (assemble) myself. I also use NG Gimps in the winter, his non handmade range and I find these to be really good value.

feldri

Site Supporter
Another shout out for Nick Gilbert. Emailed him last year and told him what type of fishing I wanted them for. He emailed me back with a selection he recommended. Had a look on the website and picked out his suggestions and 2 more. Ordered 45 floats and received them within a week. Even got 10% off for being a drowner. Top Bloke.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I use Drennan Tuff Eyes for 80% of my fishing because you can change the colour of the tips in seconds. I don't understand how anglers can use the same colour all the time whatever the lighting or water conditions.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Problem I have with pole fishing in Summer I only usually have two lines? A margin line and an up in the water line. Takes out the need to have too many patterns. Already have Jigga floats for up in the water, could do with a few dibbers maybe. Actually I often us e the same dibbers for shallow and the margin.So I could buy a load of floats and never really use them, especially as I'm planning on fishing the waggler a lot more this year when I buy an Excellence rod.
If you buy a tri cast excellence I'd recommend you buy the ones in two equal sections as I had problems fitting my tri cast in rod bags made up ...they are very good rods