Feeder reel - 180-240g?

rd115

Looking for a lighter reel, i fish with a very light 10' Daiwa yank bank mini method feeder rod. Currently paired with a MAP ACS 4000 but it's a tad heavy for this rod.

I only fish about 30-40 yards max, biggest fish i catch are bearly doubles, could i get away with a 2000/2500 size reel? If i ever need long chucks i'll get a bigger rod to pair with the MAP reel.

Backwind is a must so this probably rules out most Shimanos.

I reluctantly looked at the Daiwa TDX's (how much? o_O) but a 2500 reel is still 240g weight, anyone know of anything lighter (and cheaper)?

Looked at the Daiwa 17 Fuego LT too but doesn't really look like a feeder reel, and looks like absolutely no-one has used/using one in the UK but it's exremely light, but no quick drag.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Check out the Cadence reels. I've just got a CS5 with a rod deal recently. The quality and the low weight surprised me.

Used it once so far on a 13' float rod. Very good line lay and smoothness.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The Daiwa 18 Ninja LT might be just what you're after. It comes in a few sizes (including 2500). LT stands for Light and Tough, not sure of the actual weight of the reel but it's worth a look.

rd115

Check out the Cadence reels. I've just got a CS5 with a rod deal recently. The quality and the low weight surprised me.

Used it once so far on a 13' float rod. Very good line lay and smoothness.

The Cadence reels look like they really fit the bill, smell like Daiwa TDR in sheeps clothing (but a lot lighter!) Considering the CS8 or CS10 in 3000 size (only 212g) but i could step up to a 4000 being only 240g, decisions decisions!

Shame they haven't got quick drag but for the money i'm sure i'll cope :)

davepellet

personally for any feeder fishing I'd never use anything smaller than a 3000 sized reel, purely because of the spool size, I like a relatively wide spool for the feeder, don't know whether I'm deluding myself but I always think smaller spool, more chance of line twist

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have a Legalis 3012, lovely reel, here is a smaller legalis on ebay, may suit your needs.

rd115

I've bit the bullet and gone for the Cadence CS10 in 3000 size. The spool is only 2mm less diameter than the 4000 so thought that was a fair compromise to get the weight down from 240g to 212g.

It'll take 110m of 6lb Maxima on the shallow match spool and I only cast about 35yds max so that should be comfortable I think.

I'll let you guys know what I think once I have it compared to the MAP ACS 4000. The MAP 4000 real weighs about 355g for starters o_O

lucc

Lightest and cheapest are the legalis lt 2500, great reels.
the xh, 205g and 87cm per turn, 58€ + shipping.
Take advantage of being in the EU before 10/31....;)

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I've bit the bullet and gone for the Cadence CS10 in 3000 size. The spool is only 2mm less diameter than the 4000 so thought that was a fair compromise to get the weight down from 240g to 212g.

It'll take 110m of 6lb Maxima on the shallow match spool and I only cast about 35yds max so that should be comfortable I think.

I'll let you guys know what I think once I have it compared to the MAP ACS 4000. The MAP 4000 real weighs about 355g for starters o_O
You’re a day too late, Cadence were doing a buy one get one free on the CS10 about a week ago which ran out yesterday. Email James at Cadence, there may be something he can do for you

Last edited:

rd115

You’re a day too late, Cadence were doing a buy one get one free on the CS10 about a week ago which ran out yesterday. Email James at Cadence, there may be something he can do for you
Was looking on their website yesterday and no sign of it :confused:

Oh well I only need the one reel anyway. If they're really nice they might just send 2 anyway lol

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
It was on their Facebook page. I would email James, he’s a very decent guy & you’ve got nothing to lose