Feeder Fishing, and a few questions.

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Site Supporter
So...

Fished Black Horse Lake at Linford Lakes yesterday, which is a beautiful fishery, ruined only by the rain, and my own ineptitude. I’d highly recommend it if you’re not a million miles away from Newport Pagnel. If you watch any of the Feeder Fishing Videos, Steve Ringer visits in Episode one (that’s the Steve Ringer set episode one, not episode 1 of the whole lot), and he was on Peg 7 directly opposite where me and the old man fished.

Being the divot that I am, I managed to leave two of my three reels at home, which somewhat scuppered my plans of a Long, Short, and Method line and my main plan / whole point of the trip, of getting my eye in on some super long casts (for me, so about 6 yards) with the new Distance Master 120g rod. I did have a spare spool of sinking mono (and all the spools for the other 2 reels that weren’t with me - which really improved my pre-coffee mood) though so set the Distance Master up with the Braid, and the 12’ Supera up with the Sinking Feeder Mono, and swapped the reel over when I fancied a change. Which I can assure you wasn’t remotely effing annoying :rolleyes:.

Both setups were running rigs, with a 6cm Matrix Feeder Link (pic below) with a Float Stop about 3’ Above and an SSG shot above the knot on a Twizzled Boom of about 4cm, with a Quick Change Swivel to a 15” Hooklength. Size 14 KKM.

3CFA0C1C-F851-4225-B0F1-034B2ABFF239.jpeg

On what felt like every other chuck, I reeled back in with a tangle, and usually with the maggot chewed.

Anyway. From the day, i come back with a few questions that I hope you can offer some guidance on.

1. Why so many tangles? I have fished this way before and not had nearly so many issues. The only thing I noticed that I haven’t when fishing this method before is that there was always a lot of rubbish around the feeder when the tangles happened. So a very weedy / detritus filled bottom. Would that be the cause? It was very silty.

2. With the Silty bottom, the heavier feeders plugged in. It was reasonably windy though, Left to right, so with a lighter feeder, I got a lot of bows in the line and the casts were off to the right - Is there a happy medium to hit here or is the plugging inevitable?

3. Casting. I suck. I’m okay once I’ve got my eye in, but initial accuracy is lacking. Obviously, more practice required. But. Could someone walk me through a simple technique? Is there a simple technique? My initial casts always end up with the bait across a wide area until about the 5th cast where consistency starts coming in.

I think that’s about it for now.

Thanks in advance as always

Paul

3CFA0C1C-F851-4225-B0F1-034B2ABFF239.jpeg

D

Deleted member 21081

I don’t feeder fish at distance so just a couple of more general observations:

I think it must be a compromise of weight of feeder, you’re right. However I saw an interesting video by Lee Kerry, where he said if you’re casting to silt the larger the footprint of the feeder the less it will sink. So somewhat counter-intuitively a bigger, in size, not necessarily weight feeder could help.

In terms of casting I think practice is key.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Your Distance Master 120g rod - Take it you were clipped up? What distance were you chucking to and what weight and type of feeder were you using?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the twizzled boom be longer to kick the hooklength away from the feeder? A 6 cm feeder link plus the feeder on the end will be longer than the twizzled boom. Id make the twizzled boom longer and either use a shorter feeder link or none at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: map

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Site Supporter
Thanks guys

Seems logical what Lee Kerry was saying @Deleted Member

I was clipped up at 60m on the Distance Master @Maverick - although rarely made the chuck. I think i've managed to somehow condition / train myself to chuck about 30m and so almost every chuck was about there.

In hindsight - You make much sense. I think next time i'll try losing the Feeder Link altogether and putting a running Clip on the Line.

Maverick

Site Supporter
What weight of feeder were you trying to chuck 60mtrs?

Maverick

Site Supporter
60g Window
Ideal for a 100g rod, loaded with bait it would be about 70g. As yours is 120g rod it's designed for chucking much greater distances with even heavier feeders still. Could be that your 60g feeder is not compressing the blank enough. Reaching 60mtrs with a 45g feeder is easily achieved with an 80g rod for instance.

Casting technique also plays a big part as I have found out myself over the past 12 months. Good anglers can hit that distance easily, probably with your set up as they have the correct technique. Us mere mortals have to get every aspect right to weigh the odds in our favour.

I'm not saying that is the problem your struggling to hit the distance but it is worth thinking about.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Fish to the distances you can comfortably manage,, fishing 35 mtrs well,, is better than fishing 55mtrs badly,, I feeder fish all the time,, and I don’t use feeder links,, are you fishing naturals or commercials?,, can the rig be fixed, or does it have to be free running?

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
I was having trouble with tangles when using feeder links so ive switched to a hellicopter type rig that i saw on youtube, instead of 2 beads and a swivel its just 2 knotts above the feeder (4 inch above) and the hooklength lassoed between the 2 knotts which are about 1 inch apart, problem solved no more tangles. (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm with @Minno, no need for the SSG to be attached. I fish the feeder about 80% of the time and hit 50m with no difficulty on a regular basis. Time and again I read/see anglers that have been told to use this, that and the other, and time after time tangles are mentioned. Doesn't that tell you something? I use the simplest way you can think of, get no tangles and hit the distance I want. Inline method with 4 inch hook length or open end feeder with 10 inch hook length, rubber bead/knot protector then swivel..hook length to other end of swivel. Simple, no tangles, get the distance and a happy angler.

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Seems to complicated to me, not keen on feeder links, keep connections down to a minimum, match shot size stop to swivel bore.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m with @ukzero1 on this one. I switched to an inline feeder and it stopped the tangles. I use exactly the setup he describes.

map

Try a 6 inch twisted boom with 2no8 stotz above it.
If you getting smashed maggots and not seeing the bites - shorten the hooklength.

Can I ask why your actually using a feeder link - what's its purpose ???

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It makes sense to me that if you are getting tangles using a link, then don't use one.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Feel the feeder down to the bottom and with braid you should always pull back with the rod on to the clip and straighten the tail/hooklength.
Use a float stop above the knot there is no reason at all ever to use a large shot.
The links are optional in most cases, sometimes they help other times they will hinder but they do not contribute directly to the tangle problem which is usually because a longer tail lands in a heap, the hooklength line is too low diameter, 014 Flourocarbon or thicker rarely twists, or its spinning on the retrieve as the hookbait is acting like a propeller.
Try using dead maggots hooked alternately head then tail and so on.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I'd simplify the rig ( what's the shot for?) and cast shorter ' well' than spend a session fighting to hit a distance you are struggling to. ( accepting practice will improve that).
Keep it neat / tight at a distance you can fish at - You will catch more than random chucks to a wide area ( and be less stressed) :)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
60g Window
Is that loaded or empty?.Some feeders out there when loaded can double the 'empty' weight. What I'm thinking is that you maybe be trying to chuck something that's at the rods limit therefore losing distance. I'd try something like a 40g.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Get rid of the feeder link and thread on snap link swivel to attach the feeder to. Tie a 4-6 inch twizzled loop and nip on 2 or 3 no8 stotz against the knot to act as a buffer and to kick the loop out away from the feeder.
Once your feeder hits bottom slowly drag your tip back to straighten out your hooklength. Adjust the length of your hooklength if your are missing bites or not seeing them, winding in smashed/chewed baits.