Feeder bite alarm homemade

kaziu21

Hello, I've created a homemade feeder bite alarm. I want to show you how it looks and works. I used Arduino Mini to contol it, 3D printer to make a case for it and power bank to power it. I am very proud of my work but I want to know what you think about it.
Bite alarm method feeder

Last edited:

jasonb

Site Supporter
you've done a good job, making an electronic audible bite alarm is not easy and beyond most anglers. External battery pack rather than internal sealed batteries is perhaps not a good idea as anglers want compact and simple.

What are you intentions for doing it? Is it just something you wanted to do for yourself or do you think you can try selling alarms?

The market is saturated with cheap effective Chinese alarms tlhrough to high end delkims so any commercial gains are pretty much non existent.

Well done all the same.

kaziu21

Thank you very much for your opinion.
Provide some links to alarm signalers to the feeder.
I built it because I could not buy such signalers anywhere in Poland.

kaziu21

You send me links to the carp alarms but I am talking about feeder one. It works differently than carp alarms, it signals degree of deflection, when carp types signals pulls of vein. I saw lots of carp alarm but i didn't see any feeder type alarms.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having watched the video I can see the difference between yours and a normal carp type alarm, however whilst it looks a good idea, and certainly works, the tip moving gives the angler an indication of a bite so kind of makes the alarm a secondary indicator, doesn't it?

Sam Vimes

You send me links to the carp alarms but I am talking about feeder one. It works differently than carp alarms, it signals degree of deflection, when carp types signals pulls of vein. I saw lots of carp alarm but i didn't see any feeder type alarms.
I understand what you have tried to achieve, and it's an interesting idea. Generally, the average bite alarm, intended mainly for the carp fishing market, depends on the use of bobbins and/or baitrunners, yours does not. However, the way a Delkim detects a bit is also a bit different to the average roller based bite alarm, and it may have done a similar job to yours, without the need to use baitrunners and bobbins. Have you done much testing yet? My concerns for your current design would revolve around the rod recess being a little shallow, perhaps a really violent take might see the rod jump out of the rests. How well does the alarm cope with a wind that causes the rod to move and, presumably, the alarm to sound? What happens when your battery pack comes to the end of its life and you can't get a replacement of the same dimensions? If you've any thoughts of going commercial with your design, I'd suggest that using common battery types, and an internal battery compartment, might be a good idea.

c oo ki e

o_O
Site Supporter
love it!
big respect to you for developing this. i think it's fairly innovative although obviously a bulky prototype.
interesting to see that you used arduino circuitry, i take it you are a hobbyist?
i will be watching this thread as it develops.
many thanks (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A very interesting project, but as @Sam Vimes has noted, the recess is a little shallow. Also in the video, there are times when the tip gives the indication before the alarm goes off.