Fast Flowing River Feeder Fishing

dacko

Hi

Anyone got any tips on holding bottom in fast flowing water.

I seem to have a problem with the tip being pulled round no matter how high i have the rod up and no matter how much weight i use to hold bottom

NoCarpPlease

1. cast upstream (or to hit bottom directly in front)
2. point rod in the air and downstream (almost parallel to your own bank)
3. let out a large bow of line (fish for drop-back bites)
4. use a stronger quivertip (I have them up to 8oz test curve for flood conditions)
5. fish closer in to your own bank

smiffy

The tip will bend over and you will be looking for dropbacks. If the tip doesn’t bend then lower the rod until it does or fish with the rod down. The aim is to balance the feeder with a bow so that it just holds bottom. It doesn’t even matter if it breaks out now and then,with a bit of practice you will be able to tell the difference between a feeder breaking out and being dislodged by a fish. When it breaks out it encourages you to wind in and recast,introducing more feed. Dead cow weights can be a real help in balancing a feeder. Most fish will hook themselves against the weight.
Carbon tips are a must.
The only fish I’ve known to pull the rod first before it drops back are big Bream. Oh,and Barbel of course ;) they just keep pulling,,,,,,,,and pulling.

dacko

The tip will bend over and you will be looking for dropbacks. If the tip doesn’t bend then lower the rod until it does or fish with the rod down. The aim is to balance the feeder with a bow so that it just holds bottom. It doesn’t even matter if it breaks out now and then,with a bit of practice you will be able to tell the difference between a feeder breaking out and being dislodged by a fish. When it breaks out it encourages you to wind in and recast,introducing more feed. Dead cow weights can be a real help in balancing a feeder. Most fish will hook themselves against the weight.
Carbon tips are a must.
The only fish I’ve known to pull the rod first before it drops back are big Bream. Oh,and Barbel of course ;) they just keep pulling,,,,,,,,and pulling.
Lovely thank you

mattnewark

Sounds like you had the same problem as me when I first started........

You need a rod with a bigger test curve, for example, I tried using 90g feeders with a drennan puddle chucker...waste of time in a decent flow.

I now use 2lb test curve barbel rods, and cast upstream with 6oz etc etc.

I save the other rod for using 60g in low flow.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
that 6lb line works out at around 0.16mm

are your target fish going to reach that size and be liable to break it ?

if not, you could try dropping down a bit to 0.14mm which is around 5lb, or even 0.12 4lb'ish

it might not sound much, but cumalavity (?) its a fair bit less resistance in the flow, less sail effect

Nunachuk

Site Supporter
I fish the river Ijsell in Holland, (also called the Rhein in Germany) and we use feeders with claws.

Jonb

Site Supporter
that 6lb line works out at around 0.16mm

are your target fish going to reach that size and be liable to break it ?

if not, you could try dropping down a bit to 0.14mm which is around 5lb, or even 0.12 4lb'ish

it might not sound much, but cumalavity (?) its a fair bit less resistance in the flow, less sail effect
What 6lb reel line is 0.16mm? I want some lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not a fan of prestretched lines on my reel, my crappy casting technique makes me have a habit of cracking off 😂😂😂
Unfortunately, clothes line doesn't come in 0.16 :LOL:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It is, or I just continue with Maxima and not worry 😂
You cant go wrong with Maxima for river feeder fishing Jon. Just the right amount of stretch and very abrasive resistant. My other go to is Daiwa sensor if Im not fishing over too many rocks and boulders. 👍