Fancy a drive?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
We've all seen the boy racers with their twin overhead cam two litre giant exhaust lowered suspension pavement burners tearing up the roads. Now, as any fool knows it's easy to drive at speed in a straight line but taking curves at speed does involve a little skill. For about £25 quid for one lap or a booking of ten laps for about £270 you can drive a real racetrack. Here's a small selection of people who's egos wrote cheques that their driving skills couldn't cash.
It's at the Nordschlieffe or to give it it's popular title the Nurburgring.
Enjoy.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
One or two of them were going to need a bit of bodywork !,how daft have you got to be to take your own car on a run like that,I can't see any insurance company being very sympathetic.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have been there not to drive but viewing,it is a difficult circuit and gets busy at times not the place for the faint hearted or inexperienced driver.
The problem is that people see other more experienced drivers mostly passing them at speed and try to keep up very quickly reaching the point where ambition exceeds ability and you can see the results,speed is not the problem by itself,inappropriate speed for the conditions is.

floatfisher44

Was always told getting a vehicles speed up was the simple bit,stopping it was the clever bit.!

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
What of course I forgot to mention is that it's also a tribute to seatbelts and the crashworthiness of modern vehicles. Try pulling stunts like that in a Mk1 Cortina or an Austin A55 in 1964 and you'd be in real trouble.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@RedhillPhil If you believe that any fool can drive at speed in a straight line,I think you need to watch this and then decide.bearing in mind most of the crashes are experienced racers in some very well tuned cars. Mind you I am talking proper speed here 0-325 Mph in 3,90 Seconds and a quarter of a mile gone !

feldri

Site Supporter
What baffles me is why someone would take an estate car on a racetrack!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There were some fast estate cars, Suburu, Volvo both made flying machines, and some of the Hondas weren't far behind them on the speed stakes

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
@RedhillPhil If you believe that any fool can drive at speed in a straight line,I think you need to watch this and then decide.bearing in mind most of the crashes are experienced racers in some very well tuned cars. Mind you I am talking proper speed here 0-325 Mph in 3,90 Seconds and a quarter of a mile gone !
Now, you know and I know that I was talking about "normal" road cars. Not over-engined dragsters. That's a totally different ball game.

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Volvo T5 estate, Audi R6 estate are bloody quick cars. My SaaB Aero estate has 250 Swedish horses under the bonnet and really shifts in the 30-70 time.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Volvo T5 R - seriously quick but the RS6 Avant 0-62mph in 3.7 seconds :eek:

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Couple of British plates on those motors

Wonder how everyone explains to the missus how the family car came to be mashed up

dumdum

Don’t know much about aerodynamics then? The way the air leaves the rear of an estate car effectively acts like one big spoiler, sucking the rear of the car down to the road... it’s not by chance Volvo swapped from using saloons to estates in BTCC 😉

Estate cars handle better than saloons of the same spec due to this reason alone.

carphauler

A Mercedes E63 AMG wagon, 612bhp,0-60 in around 3 seconds, faster than most ferraris.
Audi RS6 wagon, similar figures, there are a lot fast estate cars.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
They should try driving a fire appliance on a blue light run, through Cardiff at night in the rain persons reported, great fun Waheeey😊

sly

all the bit better gear and still aint got a clue
Site Supporter
If my round ones were a lot bigger I would like to go round it on my Daytona