Falling in

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
He's not the only one. Graham from TAFishing (internet angler)...ooops.

cjsid

Canal match drew my peg and was offered a redraw as was told the bank was a bit loose , being a brave soul declined , setting up realised how dodgy the peg actually was , anyway started and got off to a flyer 2lb chub and another 2lb of bits in the first hour , then nothing it just died , got up the bank let go and headfirst nose dived in the canal , stood up scowled up and down the canal and everyone put their heads down .
Anyway climbed out and because it was red hot and I was only in shorts soon dried off , anyway it fished really bad and coming to me 2lb 8oz was winning , said to to the chap 0n the scales watch that chub he's a bit lively , dropped the fish in the basket chap was a bit slow putting the lid on chub jumps out rolls down the bank me following , splash and in I go again followed by the chub .
Toys thrown out the pram tackle on back and marched off back to the car , vowed never to fish an unsafe peg again

Simon R

Site Supporter
Most recently I took an early bath at Dromonby Farm An Early Bath

That was the first for a while - probably 'cos you don't do so many stupid things when you get a bit older.
I've slipped over whilst wading on the upper Swale a few times, usually in relatively shallow water when I've tripped over a previously unnoticed rock or found a particularly slimy bit of streamer weed.

One of the daftest was during a work party at a club lake when we cutting back the previous years iris - we had a local blacksmith make us some two pronged claws that once inserted under the plant could be used to lever out the entire rhizome. I couldn't quite get close enough to one of the plants but why I thought a raft of long-dead floating weed and reeds would support my weight I don't remember. Needless to say it didn't and I dropped into waist deep water - it was only April and was freezing cold.

Simon

160642fishing

Site Supporter
'Only done it once, in the hot summer of ‘76. Sat on a stretch of the River Kenn (New Blind Yeo) known as the gravels, it was an awesome roach and bream river. Quietly sat there minding my own business, when the bank gave way, must have been undercut, depositing me and my Shakespeare plastic seat box into the river.'
Same thing happened to me on the Witham,funny how it only happens when you've fully set up and can't wait for the match to start.

'One of the daftest was during a work party at a club lake'

That happened to me as well,I'd been messing about in a small dinghy and did the classic,one foot in the boat,one foot on the bank,out went the boat,in I went and was relieved when I came up that I'd still got my glasses on.

crusty

Site Supporter
I've fallen in a couple of times, and have never seen the humour in it. I've always found it quite terrifying.

Other people falling in though is often hilarious.

Seeing my 10-year-old nephew go head first into Polly's flash, whilst still in the seating position after being told: "don't rock the chair like that it'll collapse." And being told "no it won't" :)

Ian

bigdavewsf

last time i had an early bath was at a club match ..at the weigh in ive weighed my first 3 nets in and im pulling out the 4th, i said to the lad with the sling..."this end board feels a bit bouncy john"...so just as ive lifted the net out the water...yup the board snapped, im 20 stone and that with the 100lb in the net the scaffold board coudn't take it and in i went, holding up the net out the water like bloody Excalibur,..

bryan white

Site Supporter
Don’t remember falling in..been thrown and once jumped into willow park and just caught hold of the rod butt..and that fish instantly dropped the hook,.stood there looking like a complete and utter total one

rudd

Not exactly falling in, but got equally wet.

Mate and I fishing the River Humber estuary, trotting for flatties.
We were standing on little islands of that rough grass, having waded out about an hour before high tide was due.
Yet the water came up, and came up, and when it should have turned, continued to come up.
Some silly sod had miscalculated the high tide time, and it was now too deep to wade back to shore.
At least it was August and the water was warm.

We carried on fishing, the water up to our armpits.
Much to the amusement of a chap in a yacht who sailed between us and the shore.
Salt marsh.
Estuaries can be very dangerous places as tides will come in very fast and catch people out.

fredradac

Site Supporter
Scariest episode was in the mid 1970's when for reasons I still cannot explain I always wore waders when fishing. I was all by myself fishing a stretch of the River Swale near Topcliffe from a high bank when my hook caught on a nettle overhanging the water. I reached over to free it and, yes you guessed correctly, went in. The waders started filling up immediately as it was chest deep close in and it was very difficut, not to say painful, pulling myself up the bank via the nettles and brambles!
Intriguing question - did I make it or is this a robot typing this message?

BoldBear

When I was 9 back in 1959 I was fishing the Thames with my dad when the bank I was fishing on gave way and collapsed into the river. The guy in the next swim dived in and got me back to dry land because my dad couldn’t swim in those days and neither could I.
I spent the afternoon covered in an old see through Mac with my clothes drying out on the fence behind us and every boat full of people that went past seemed to be laughing and pointing at me.

Another time when I was in my 20s a mate took a picture of me holding a nice Tench as it was getting dark and his camera flash blinded me it was so bright, and I went to return the Tench and put my foot down on what I thought was the bank and stepped head first straight into the water.

Keith

jimmcd

Not so much falling in, but yesterday I had to strip & wade in to free a tench that had me stuck in weeds just outside the reach of my net