Falling in

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We've all done it at some point or another, a soggy leg, or a full dunking, haven't we?

My infamous occasion was on a Maggotdrowning match at Lindholme Lakes when I stepped back to adjust my box when setting up and straight off the edge of the platform into a 3ft margin lol.

What happened and how did you manage a soggy ending :D ?

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
As an Ex soldier, falling in has a whole different meaning ! lol

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only done it once, in the hot summer of ‘76. Sat on a stretch of the River Kenn (New Blind Yeo) known as the gravels, it was an awesome roach and bream river. Quietly sat there minding my own business, when the bank gave way, must have been undercut, depositing me and my Shakespeare plastic seat box into the river.

I managed to get everything out and fully expected it to have buggered up the peg, but within 20 minutes hooked and landed a pristine 1lb 10oz roach, from just past where I’d been swimming 😀

Simon Walsh

Winter league on the Trent and Mersey canal late 80’s. Stepped on the tow path fell straight in, head went under. Stripped off and hung my clothes on a barb wire fence behind hoping they would dry, carried on fishing in my soaked boxer shorts. Then my top 2 came off far bank, I got in swam across. and brought it back. The lads around we pissing themselves

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When i was a kid and part of the school match fishing team i was walking along the towpath heading to my peg, my dads old rod bag and wicker basket slung over my shoulder and the towpath gave way...i went in and instead of reaching for the hand held out for me i started feeling around on the bottom of the cut for my dads basket, it meant the world to me and i wasn't losing it!!

Oh and i dived for a members rod at the MDs fishin at Elvington, ended up with my head under the water and two cracked ribs...but i managed to get hold of the rod and it still had the bream on the end lol

Silverfisher

I’ve never really truly fell in but was on very muddy swim on the wye once where the undercut bank gave way beneath me whilst playing a fish which did result in getting wet feet.

Best example of seeing someone fall in was my uncle sliding down a wet bank into the Thames. Was only a foot deep in the margin but the good bit was him grabbing a branch to pull himself out only for it to snap whilst he was halfway up the bank resulting in him sliding back in!

Also watched my grandad push a bank stick into a beach like Thames swim only for it to go in easier than expected so his momentum took him straight over the top of it for a little walk into the river.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
River Trent on a soggy bank
. It had been raining all night and setting up I was trying to get my seatbox to some something like level. Bent down to open the top to get a stickfloat out, tripped on my landing net and in I went. Luckily it was only up to the waist as I'd grabbed some shrubbery. I still fished the matched managing 3rd place.

Smeatons Lakes. The Burrows.
Again it had been raining. I managed to get my gear down to the waters edge except for my rods, went up the bank to bring them down and slipped on a rotten apple, slid down the bank and in. I lost my gigs, lighter, mobile phone and sunglasses.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Haven't fallen in accidentally whilst fishing, Did jump in off the platform to retrieve a No 8 section that had rolled into the drink, watched as it stood up on it's end and sank like a u-boat at Meadowlands two weeks ago. Luckily enough it was a shallow sloping margin and first dunk of my arm retrieved it. :D

90sGear

Site Supporter
Once when I was a kid, mum dropped me and a mate at the basin on Exeter canal. Middle of winter ice about and for those that know you sit a good 5ft clear of the water. In I wen after leaning forward too far,t four layers on plus Wellington's. Managed to grab a rope near a boat but couldn't climb out and my mate couldn't pull me out. He runs to call my mum meanwhile a stranger walks past and pulls me out. Queue two hours shivering until mum arrives with towels and a flask equally scarry and funny!

sjmclean

Forgot I didn't have waders on when getting my box back from the water few weeks ago, two very wet legs.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I did skip down the bank once. Soaked to the skin. But even worse was when I dived in after my mates kid who had fallen in. Phone destroyed. Clothes soaked and nothing to change into except oilskins which are not the most comfortable when you have to drive a bus full of wheelchair users home. Still the main thing is the kid was ok even if he still will not go swimming. Lol

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
rescuing a hooked up float in a bankside bush,

I wasnt leaving an original ultra cane and balsa avon hanging there

pulled the branch closer with my landing net, leant forward and done a double pike with two 180 twists and a tuck into the river stour

head under the lot, my grandaughter near wet herself laughing

another time, rescuing the dog,

tuppence worth was in the bankside bushes looking for rats no doubt,

heard, rustle, rustle, rustle, sperlosh !

needed to jump in to lift him back out

canal mud smells, it smells really bad, had to drive home in just my t shirt and kecks

god knows what woulda happened iffin I had been pulled over

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Had to fish the dog out of the canal a couple of years ago. We had a canal boat for a year on the Shroppy. Comes out of the pub and everyone gets into bed to watch a bit of telly. I go out & climb on the roof to put the aerial up. As I did so, I heard a big splash. The dog had followed me out through the covers & decided to have a midnight swim. It was decidedly unfunny, trying to haul half a ton of wet German Shepherd out of the canal, believe me. He spent a very miserable wet night on the floor.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Month ago at Port Talbot Dock, fell into 6 inches of water but it was a glorious sunny day, soon dried out. Following week if I had fallen in it would have been into 10meters and a tad nippy.

rudd

Stepped off a platform when playing something large, kind of fell sideways/backwards, top half into brambles, bottom half into lake. Carried on playing fish from that position whilst the other chaps all p!ssed themselves laughing. When I politely asked if one of them wouldnt mind passing me my landing net (I was stuck), I do believe one or two really did have to water the plants as their hysteria peaked!

On a beach have been hit and drenched by a wave in December on Suffolk coast - not nice.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Not exactly falling in, but got equally wet.

Mate and I fishing the River Humber estuary, trotting for flatties.
We were standing on little islands of that rough grass, having waded out about an hour before high tide was due.
Yet the water came up, and came up, and when it should have turned, continued to come up.
Some silly sod had miscalculated the high tide time, and it was now too deep to wade back to shore.
At least it was August and the water was warm.

We carried on fishing, the water up to our armpits.
Much to the amusement of a chap in a yacht who sailed between us and the shore.

nejohn

Stepped back once on the muddy bank on the Tees at Yarm (before the barrage was built) and disappeared into about 8 feet of cold water I did manage to keep my brand new hardy match rod and Abu 506 above water but that was about the only thing that didn't get wet.....after they stopped laughing my mates said it was like king Arthur throwing Excalibur into the lake and a hand appeared out of the water to catch it
Ever since that day I always take a change of clothes in the car when I go fishing