Eyed hooks in smaller sizes

Slandteacher

Looking for some advice. The lake I am fishing requires a minimum of 15inch hooklink. Have been using banded pre-tied Preston KKM'B at 15inch for hard pellet fishing put looking for suggestions for hooks to use for baits directly to hook. Could I just cut off the banded sections and fish baits like maggots and meat on the hook itself (although this seems a waste). Or would it be better to tie up some rigs myself. Never tied spade end hooks hence it would be using eyed hooks (hence the post title). What advantages do spade ends have over eyed hooks if any. Thanks in advance

gobby1

Can't see a reason for imposing a 15" hooklength for float fishing. Have you checked it's not for ledgering only?
If they have just fish straight through.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
you can defo cut the band off and fish as a "normal" hook.

Spade ends tend to offer a smaller gauge wire as the wire is "flattened" for the spade rather than wound for the eye which requires a little more meat.

15" inch sounds a bit over the top for pole float hooklengths

I tie all my own hook lengths, its very rewarding, cheaper and of course I can only blame myself if it all goes wrong !

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The 15 inch rule is correct for pole rigs. The fishery is Angel of the North and the owner, Ann has confirmed this in post 24 of this thread.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Spade end hooks tend to be lighter and thus supposedly better to use for smaller baits as the lighter weight of the hook helps presentation i.e. the bait behaves more naturally.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
you can buy eyed hooks down to a 20 in barbless just tie them yourself or some companies like Guru do 15" hooklengths pretied.

Slandteacher

you can buy eyed hooks down to a 20 in barbless just tie them yourself or some companies like Guru do 15" hooklengths pretied.
Thanks. Would you say tie to eye or tie knotless knot style and just trim hair right down. Thinking it would be less bulky than a knot tied to eye

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I do mine knotless knot style, but you have to make sure the line passes through the eye twice, the other alternative is to whip them on like spade ends (use a hook tier if needed).

Slandteacher

I do mine knotless knot style, but you have to make sure the line passes through the eye twice, the other alternative is to whip them on like spade ends (use a hook tier if needed).
Yeah, use knotless knot for my carping. Thanks

Paul22

Site Supporter
If eyed hooks are your preferred choice I would tie them myself and use a palomer knot to tie them....... if you cut a band of a hair rigged hook and use bait direct to the hook it doesn’t hang right as the knot less knot turns the hook up on the line which is ideal when hair rigging but not fishing a bait direct. I also think it’s a waste of an hair rigged hook and costs more.
A palomer knot lets the hook sit straight and is a small but super strong knot.
On modern commercial waters or well stocked ponds I don’t really see any disadvantage using eyed hooks indeed I use them myself as even silver fish tend to be bigger and plentiful.
On canals and natural waters I can see the advantages of using spade end hooks but it’s not essential.

Slandteacher

If eyed hooks are your preferred choice I would tie them myself and use a palomer knot to tie them....... if you cut a band of a hair rigged hook and use bait direct to the hook it doesn’t hang right as the knot less knot turns the hook up on the line which is ideal when hair rigging but not fishing a bait direct. I also think it’s a waste of an hair rigged hook and costs more.
A palomer knot lets the hook sit straight and is a small but super strong knot.
On modern commercial waters or well stocked ponds I don’t really see any disadvantage using eyed hooks indeed I use them myself as even silver fish tend to be bigger and plentiful.
On canals and natural waters I can see the advantages of using spade end hooks but it’s not essential.
Thanks. Great advice. Any hooks you would recommend for commercials.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Normally 911 for me but, if you prefer or are more confident using eyed hooks then I recommend Preston PR 36 in sizes 14,16 and 18. Great strength for big angry carp.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
A few years ago I had three PR36 hooks straighten on me in one session.
I returned them to PI for their comments. They sent me a couple of packets of PR38's, which were better, but a bit heavy in the wire.

Then I came across Guru Pellet Waggler hooks, tried them, and have used them ever since. Very sharp, relatively light, the eyes are neat and well formed, and never had one straighten out on me.
I tie them using a knotless knot, both with and without a hair / band.
The only thing to be aware of, the sizes are bigger than normal, a size 20 Guru is more like a standard size 16.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Found out yesterday that the pr 36s have been discontinued and looked pattern wise that they have been replaced with KKM-B, these also look to be an improvement as they are matt finish rather than the brass colour the 36s were.