Elderly Neighbours

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've always watched over our elderly neighbours, never in their faces, always there if needed, but not offering too often to make them feel dependant, he's 95 she's 92 and still in reasonable health although both at times a bit unsteady on their feet.
It's only the past month that he's given up driving, although his ten year old Skoda had only 11,000 miles on the clock. He had to keep asking his gardener to cut back the bushes on his drive, not because they were overgrowing but because he was driving into them when reversing out :)

Anyway this morning she had a bad fall and required a trip to hospital in an ambulance with a badly broken wrist :(
He was all shaken as well but also had a vital hospital appointment to attend early afternoon.
The lady neighbour on the other side went down to the hospital with her whilst I sorted him out, made sure he was okay, assured him I'd chaperone him down to his appointment, and between us all kept relaying information from either of them to the other :)

The taxi arrived to go to the hospital and such a gentleman he is he apologised for not wearing a tie, bless.
Anyway off we went, and three hours later returned; it ain't half funny listening to someone stating their date of birth as .... 1923
95 years is a lot of time, been there seen and done a lot, including spent most of WW2 in Africa and Burma

The other neighbour got in touch to say that his wife was being discharged but didn't want to get a taxi as she wasn't suitably dressed, still being in her night clothes and dressing gown - "I'm on my way" I replied and played taxi for the next hour in my wife's car, it wouldn't have been right to have to bundle the pair of them into the Hilux :D

Anyway, they're both back home again now, battered and bruised, sore and uncomfortable but as he said, they're still together - aww

Geesh, talk about a busy day, but its great to help out and better still is the appreciation received for being there - as I said to him, you were there for us, it's only right we should be there for you (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think we should all keep an eye on the elderly, especially in this day and age. Far too many rip-off con-men etc..even the idiots of the young generation are only too willing to take advantage. I'm a pensioner myself and when I see a few of the local idiots round here, it makes me wary.
What makes me smile though is seeing an elderly gent or even a couple wobbling home after a few jars after a good night out. After what they've been through in the past they deserve it. (y)

grumpy44

Site Supporter
sadly Dave not many like you now. people full of good intentions but few follow it through.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle !
Site Supporter
Good on you Dave.
There's not many would be so kind.

Actually I could do with a lift to hospital* if you're interested?

*Every day...'cos that's where I work :LOL:

daniel121

Account Closed
Site Supporter
Nice job Dave.

'Old saying once and Adult twice a Child' I can tell you it's true, it's the thing I fear the most. I still my have marbles yet.

I'm not as quick witted as I once was though.

Fish-lips

Account Closed
Site Supporter
Nice work David.. Nope there aren't many around who would help out a elderly neighbour, nowadays ya be lucky to know ya neighbours let alone if there elderly or not.

As a kid at Christmas my mum would dish up 5 extra plates for 5 elderly people who was alone at Christmas, I'd always get a new bike usually one with a bag or basket on and I'd deliver this food to them poor old ens,

Spend a little time with each of them and go back home, how grateful they was for a little company and bless them give me a few pence for this gratitude.

If parents educate there kids to respect and care for the older generation. Maybe just maybe when I might b in need someone will help me

Fishy

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
sadly Dave not many like you now. people full of good intentions but few follow it through.
Actually I don't agree. In my experience the vast majority of UK-born-and-bred citizens will help in an emergency in any way they can.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Well done Dave.

Made me wonder recently, I was standing by my car which happened to be in my son's drive.
Son had power-washed the drive at the weekend, and it was immaculate.
A flatbed transit pulled onto the verge outside, and a chap shouted to me
"Do you want yer drive cleaning Sir, it's a right mess!"

I told him that it wasn't a mess, and it wasn't my drive.
"**** off then, you gormless old tw@t" was his charming reply.
Good job I'm not quite as doddery and senile as I obviously look, I would no doubt have been royally ripped off.
:unsure:

Total

Site Supporter
Actually I don't agree. In my experience the vast majority of UK-born-and-bred citizens will help in an emergency in any way they can.
^^(y)
I actually agree with this. I've witnessed and experienced this many times, certainly in my part of South London.:)

daniel121

Account Closed
Site Supporter
^^(y)
I actually agree with this. I've witnessed and experienced this many times, certainly in my part of South London.:)
I agree too but I'd say the vast majority of people period will help in emergency, I firmly believe the majority of people are good.

Luckily I've never a person I wouldn't help if they were in serious danger and I could, even people I dislike.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
My neighbours in the sheltered bungalow scheme in which we live know my car is always available if they are stuck. (If I am well enough)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No praise required, it's something I've always done :)

A year and some ago we were doing a loft conversion a few doors up the street and just happened to see a con man with a van and pair of ladders who'd picked the wrong day to try to con my neighbour - it got resolved and he went on his way.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Isn't it grand to help out. Well done Dave.
My helping older folks is as a hearing aids maintenance volunteer for Action on Hearing Loss servicing and repairing hearing aids in clinics, care homes and home visits. My three visits this week were: 95, 89 and 101 years old . It means so much to them and their families.
My "turn" will come: I'm 74.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Scalper with a conscience!!!
It was enjoyable for me doing 'meals on wheels' for a year a while back and the olds really appreciated having a couple of mins of banter before tucking into their grub...
On a few occasions, we had to phone home to get an ambulance out to deal with them as it was out of our remit to do.....
One old lady had bad diarrhea :poop: everywhere and she was sh*t up from head to toe when we found her on the floor....
She was soooooo apologetic and we tried to assure her that's it's all OK!!!

Tell ya the truth guys...I'd sooner visit 'Dignitas' than end up like that!!!

No Sh*t!............:poop:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Every morning before i get in my van for work i make sure the old Lass over the road is ok, Be it some shopping, a morning Paper or even a gas bottle for her heater she's well covered. Even when me and Gert are away the young Owls make sure she's good.

Arch

Site Supporter
Yep same here. Mow nextdoors lawn, shift snow from 4-5 neighbours driveways when required and as i'm a Sparky, any electrical faults, i'm first call.

It's nice to help.

tonerain

Site Supporter
Tell ya the truth guys...I'd sooner visit 'Dignitas' than end up like that!!!

No Sh*t!............:poop:[/QUOTE]

My Mum had her 99th birthday last Wednesday.
In a care home with 'nowt to look forward to.
So I entirely agree with you.

She's always been a religious person but I'm the opposite. If her god existed and was a benevolent god there's no way he/she would allow her to live in such a sad state.