Effective Cormorant Control?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Does anyone have any experience and ideas on how to deter cormorants from lakes? Shooting is not an option.

I am seeking advice from anyone or club that has had success in deploying non lethal and non invasive methods of control. In the main I am looking for advice relating to snake type lakes though effective controls for larger bodies of water would also be of interest. Any methods that do not require the presence of people would be of particular interest.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
On our club water we have horticultural 2" square mesh net at 3 metre height suspended over the water. In order to prevent birds flying into the net we have streamers of bird scare holographic tape tied in. It seems to work.
PM me if you need further info

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
I hear that high powered laser pens might work, I have seen one in the flesh and it will burn a hole in paper at close range but from a distance scares the birds off

tikkaman

I have also seen them used in the summer on duck that take your floating baits.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
On our club water we have horticultural 2" square mesh net at 3 metre height suspended over the water. In order to prevent birds flying into the net we have streamers of bird scare holographic tape tied in. It seems to work.
PM me if you need further info
So is the entire pond covered in netting? Surely not?

bigdavewsf

we used to have our club water strung all along it with cds tied to them, the glittering and shining was meant to scare them off, we also had a few scarecrows dotted around with hi vis coats on...worked for about a week then they just dive bombed through the lines and ignored the scarecrows..we took the lines down as you could only really pole fish with them up and it looked s**t...we dye our water now and that has seemed to keep them away only getting visited on a couple of occasions by the death even though they have a permanent nesting area at a lake a mile away

GeoffW

Site Supporter
So is the entire pond covered in netting? Surely not?
No, there are nets suspended from ropes across the pond at about 3 metres high with enough room at the bottom for ducks and moorhens to swim under. The net interrupts the cormorants flight path for take off

squimp

Site Supporter
My experience suggests that the best deterrent is having somebody on site as much as possible.

I run a small complex of lakes In the Cotswold Water park and The cormorants have effectively emptied them of silver fish over the past 15 years. 20 plus years ago I could have caught a few pounds of roach in every peg. Two years ago the stock hit rock bottom and I had to resort to restocking to try and kickstart the roach population. Now I have a licence to shoot 3 birds per year !

the good news I that now I have somebody building a house on the lake and the fact that they are on site 8+ hours per day has made a huge difference. Simply making a noise every time we see a bird (flying or on the water) has worked for us. We now have a flourishing roach stock with fish now pushing a pound as well as juvenile fish.

on the 2 smaller lakes on site we now have to use strings 6” above the water and they work for us too.

PAB

Site Supporter
Small spinners work if you can get near them in the first place then un hook carefully and relocate as far away as posable taking care not to hurt them

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Small spinners work if you can get near them in the first place then un hook carefully and relocate as far away as posable taking care not to hurt them
I am not sure if you are joking because they are very large birds and would rip and eye out if they got a chance

Reactions: PAB

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter

TonyA

Site Supporter
My local snake lake has cheap rope from bank to bank every 10 metres os so about 0.5 m off the ground. It interferes with take-off and landing.
It seems to work.

Backwoodsman

if you can provide sufficient evidence of a major problem, you may well get a license to shoot them. I was told that the reason for the influx of the damn things was overfishing of sand eels In the North Sea. This was the natural feed grounds for these birds, obviously they have headed inland to new feeding grounds. Must admit I have never seen as many of these birds inland they are all over the place.

Warden

Site Supporter
Can never seem to get photo's on same page as text,these worked a treat at Howbrook keeping the cormorants off as people have said feet on the banks are the best deterent,

Silver fan 82

Does anyone have any experience and ideas on how to deter cormorants from lakes? Shooting is not an option.

I am seeking advice from anyone or club that has had success in deploying non lethal and non invasive methods of control. In the main I am looking for advice relating to snake type lakes though effective controls for larger bodies of water would also be of interest. Any methods that do not require the presence of people would be of particular interest.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Are explosives an option?

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dont know if it will work but might be worth a try. You can buy kites that look like birds of prey which are tied to long fibreglass poles. I know a few farmers use them to deter pigeons , just might work. They can be bought at most agriculture supply shops !