Dunton Bassett Pit, Leicestershire

WickerDave

Saturday afternoon was a trip to my default winter venue Dunton Bassett Pit which is club controlled and only about 3 miles from home. This is a small pool that is very heavily stocked and is too easy in the warmer months, but it is a reliable venue for some winter short session action.

On arrival there was no-one there so I chose to fish the far bank which gets the warmth of the low afternoon sun without you having to look directly into it. Despite it being an old sand/gravel pit with depths up to 14 feet it is a good venue for surface fishing year round. A few mixers thrown in as I was tackling up got some immediate rises so the main plan of attack was to fish surface baits.

DSC04638.JPG

DSC04640.JPG

The fish continued to rise to loose mixers all afternoon, but were more reluctant to take the baited hook than usual. I did have some success with a mix of chub, F1s and small carp all between 2lb and 3lbish. The chub look dark and old now so may be on their way out. Brief spells fishing shallow and on the bottom got little interest.

DSC04643.JPG

DSC04647.JPG

A couple of slightly better carp taken late on boosted the final total to 10 fish for 30lb.

The old reports for the venue are at Dunton Bassett Pit.

WickerDave

A better afternoon today on a deserted fishery. 24 fish, mostly F1s of various sizes, 6 carp and a single chub, for a total 57lb. All surface caught again.

The biggest F1 was a venue personal best at 3.5lb, the biggest carp was a decent one for the venue at 7lbish.

DSC04661.JPG

DSC04660.JPG

WickerDave

It's still fishing well despite the colder weather. Today's afternoon session resulted in 25 fish for 55lb, mostly F1s to 3lbish, with 3 small carp to 4lbish and 3 chub to 3lbish. All surface caught again on banded or cork mixer.

DSC04713.JPG

Pickard1

It must be stuffed if they are still feeding on the top in this weather!

Which club ticket is it?

WickerDave

It must be stuffed if they are still feeding on the top in this weather!

Which club ticket is it?
Yes, "very heavily stocked" was probably an understatement! There's lots of silvers as well if you fish a smaller bait, including some very good perch that I've managed not to catch so far.

It's Broughton and Dunton Angling Club, as Tony (notneeded) has replied Wigston Tackle in South Wigston should be able to deal with membership, which is currently £30 a year with a £5 reduction for OAPs. It was the only water they had but they have recently acquired the small pond off Back Lane in Leire that used to be a Lutterworth Angling Club water until they folded.

WickerDave

It's a club members only pool with no day tickets or guest tickets, so it can't be booked by other clubs.

There is a match side to the club and they fish matches on the pool on a Tuesday evening when the evenings are light enough. They also match fish other local venues (Holme Farm, Jansons, Toft, Peatling, Friezland and Shearsby in 2018) every Sunday from May to October.

silver fox

It's a club members only pool with no day tickets or guest tickets, so it can't be booked by other clubs.

There is a match side to the club and they fish matches on the pool on a Tuesday evening when the evenings are light enough. They also match fish other local venues (Holme Farm, Jansons, Toft, Peatling, Friezland and Shearsby in 2018) every Sunday from May to October.
Cheers Dave

WickerDave

I was surprised when I arrived for this afternoon's session to find the pool three quarters covered in thin ice that was slowly melting. Fortunately my preferred area of the pool was the clearest, and the ice actually seemed to have concentrated the surface fish into that area. The final surface tally was 24 F1s to 2.5lb, 3 carp to 3lb and 2 chub to 2.5lb, all on banded mixer.

DSC04719.JPG

A second rod floatfished on the bottom fairly close in got a few bites and ended up with 4 F1s and 1 carp of a similar size to the surface fish, one of the rarely seen and thin bream at 2lb (the bream don't seem to do well in this pool for some reason) and a 6oz roach.

The final tally for the session was 36 fish for 64lb.

WickerDave

Still mostly frozen early yesterday afternoon despite an air temperature of 10 degrees, but an island of free water fully surrounded by thinnish ice soon had fish rising in it. Some stones thrown and then the first fish caught cleared a path to it, which got bigger as the ice began to slowly melt.

The fish were smaller than usual, with the newish stock F1s showing, now mostly 8oz to 12oz. The biggest fish was a 2.5lb chub. The final tally was 28 fish for 38lb, with 22 fish from the surface on banded mixer with a few smaller fish on method feeder or float.

WickerDave

The membership renewal letter came today, with two relevant rule changes :(. One rod only now, fine in the warmer months but a useful option gone for the trickier winter days. More importantly, no feeding of floating baits. You can still use a floating hook bait, but can't feed for it :mad:. It looks like I should have gone to the AGM but there was no warning these changes were being considered.

notneeded

Site Supporter
You may find the new rules are mainly for when they have a match on the pit ?
I cannot see it effecting you on your days out unless there are other club members on the water and your floating feed floats into their pegs .
I would check with wilf .

WickerDave

I'll check, but there was no mention of matches in the letter at all, so these appear to be new "at any time" rules :(.

WickerDave

They were feeding well in a bare fed margin today, this shows the water colour due to the blue dye used for weed control too...

DSC05143.JPG

DSC05146.JPG

WickerDave

A steady afternoon here yesterday after a slowish start. 21 fish for a 40lbish total, mostly F1s with 4 small carp, 2 chub and an 8oz roach, all from the surface on banded mixer.

The only other person there was a first timer there, the father of a thread reader who has defected to golf. @Pickard1 maybe? He was catching well on the pole all afternoon.

Membership is now full, there is a waiting list for the 1-June renewal.