Drowned at Dromonby

Simon R

Site Supporter
Just a short report on the first of the three match Friday evening series at Dromonby Farm.

It was wet - very wet. The rain started as I was pegging out about 4.30pm and never stopped, varying from annoyingly persistent to bucketing down. It was a pretty horrible night. The forecast also predicted that the wind would strengthen coming from the north-east so I placed the majority of the pegs on that side of the pond. Perhaps unsurprisingly there were only six of us present.

I pulled out peg six which is a little hemmed in by the pegs either side although there was no-one on peg five. In the margins I had a clump of reeds to my right and an overhanging tree to my left, so I’d fish those lines looking for a carp and 2+2 / 10m looking for anything that swims. The margins got a pot of Coshida, corn & 4mm pellet and while that ‘settled’ I had a look out on the 2+2 line just pinging a few maggots at the float. Normally this approach will bring a fairly instant response from the ponds hordes of small silvers but they seemed to be ominously scarce.

I finally snared a couple before having a look in the margins – there was no movement in the reeds – normally, at this time of year, the stems would shake as fish moved amongst them – they never moved all night indicating a complete absence of carp. The other margin was equally quiet, although what was very strange was that usually feeding Coshida will draw roach from far and wide and they’ll knock hell out of your hookbait, at least until a carp turns up and they scatter. That didn’t happen the float never moved but it wasn’t due to the presence of a carp but the complete lack of any fish at all.

Elsewhere I didn’t really know what was getting caught – I saw Rob on peg 10 land a couple and George had a few off peg 12. I’d heard some fishy sounding splashes coming from Chris on peg seven but due to the incessant drumming of rain on my brolly I had no idea what Rob W and Peter had on pegs 2 and 3 and I wasn’t about to go and have a look.

I returned to catching the bits – very often the activity of feeding fish will grab a passing carps attention and prompt it to have a closer look – I had three carp on my ‘light’ gear in the corresponding match last year. But there wasn’t a sign and shouting time at 9.15 I was fairly sure I’d be looking at last spot.

Rob W. had fished the tip across to the island all match with various wafters as hook bait and weighed 29lb 4oz

Peter had caught the majority of his fish on the pole, after his first three chucks saw his feeder sail majestically into the island – if he’d spent a little less time fishing for squirrels he might have won being only 3oz adrift of Robs weight.

I had a paltry 3lb 14oz of bits and never saw a sign of a carp all night.

Chris caught on the waggler – 3 dead reds being the bait of choice – he was an ounce short of 13lb

Rob B. was complaining of advanced hypothermia but did have 17lb 7oz to warm him a little

He lost out to his Dad on this occasion though as George tipped 23lb 9oz onto the scales for 3rd place.

Next match we’re at Rising Sun on Sunday and the second of the evening series is Friday June 21st - room for guests at the latter but club members only for Rising Sun

There’s likely to be a venue change for the match on June 30th – it appears the cormorants have practically wiped out the silvers stock on Lockwood Beck – anglers are sitting all day for a single fish or nowt at all – so unless sport improves dramatically in the next week or two we’ll be going elsewhere – not sure where yet – Renny don’t do Sunday matches in summer any more, Hilton is shut, Rising Sun is full, Brafferton can fit about eight of us on – which probably isn’t enough so if anyone has any bright ideas shout up – please don’t suggest anywhere that insists on fishery pellets or has lists of rules so long that it takes an hour to read them.

Simon

Attachments

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Very nice write up with some great pics Simon. Thanks for sharing that with us. Well done fella. You didnt want those pesky carp anyway did ya ? 👍😄😄

Simon R

Site Supporter
Not for a few years Bry - we had matches on there for a couple of years
2008 & 2009 but I can't remember what the winning weights were - or why we stopped going.

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Has been mentioned but the £12 day-ticket price kinda puts people off
Puts me off for a start :p

Simon

SJJB

Simon
Tees valley lakes is good Simon. You have to use fishery feed pellets but they are cheap like £2 a bag. You use their keepnets and landing nets also so you don't need to dry yours...