Drop shotting vs small lures/spinners

CarpCatcher86

So far one thing I haven't tried is drop shotting.
Is there any real advantage drop shotting compared to using small light spinners and lures?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Drop shotting is for mainly close in work around structures, drop-offs, pilings platforms etc, or afloat, with lures/spinning you can fish further out... both good methods, depends what you want to do

Jurgiaushas

Drop shot is a killer method for me during colder periods of year. Especially afloat when fishing bigger depths, starting 15 ft deep and up to 60 ft. Works great for zander and perch, wouldn't say that's the same case with pike.
When fishing from shore, I'd say paternoster method, carolina or jig rig works better, because you can make the same slow retrieve, but you can cast more further out - drop shots tends to work best when the main line is more on the vertical angle side.

Last edited:

CarpCatcher86

Drop shotting is for mainly close in work around structures, drop-offs, pilings platforms etc, or afloat, with lures/spinning you can fish further out... both good methods, depends what you want to do
To be honest I don't usually fish that close in, even though I have on occasion to get close to cover/snags.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
To be honest I don't usually fish that close in, even though I have on occasion to get close to cover/snags.
Well then, I think you just answered your own question... I'd mix it up a bit with some jelly lures and jigs too

rudd

Drop shotting can work from bank further than you think but not at distance.
You need to use a bigger weight 😁 but:
A couple of issue's - rods casting capability, a 5-7g rated rod will only cast 10g the same distance as 7g - the blank cant be compressed any further.
Then consider in winter a very very almost non existent slow retrive may be needed - a side or lip hooked drop shot rig with main line at a low angle will result in the hook catching debris or snags, you could fish it weedless but that defeats the object of fishing the drop shot. May as well fish carolina/texas/jig.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Fishing Talk 2
kevin o connor Fishing Talk 1
Liquorsnurf Fishing Talk 7
Blast Tundra Tackle Talk 7
G Fishing Talk 12