Drennan Acolyte 15ft vs Cadence CR10 15ft

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Does anybody have any experience with both rods?

The good lady is on about getting me a nice rod for my birthday and I'd like it to be something a bit special. Longest rod I currently have is 13ft, but I'd like a 15ft rod as I float fish the river most of the time.

Obviously the Cadence is a bit cheap but sounds comparable (thinking the #1?). The money isn't so much an issue as this rod will be a keeper, so I'm more interested in getting the better rod.

I'm leaning toward the Acolyte purely for the fact I can't handle the Cadence (as far as I'm aware), whereas my local has the 15ft Acolyte in stock. The Cadence does really intrigue me though.

Any opinions very much appreciated.

Even if you own one rod or the other I would be happy to hear your experiences with the rods, or any alternatives in a similar bracket. Only stipulation is that I would like a brand new rod.

Thanks

jasonb

Site Supporter
I have both rods and to be honest if you put the 2 side by side and picked them up and had a waggle the acolyte would stand out a mile as lighter and crisper. on the bank using them exactly the same. if you had both rods in your bag you would always get the acolyte out first. that's not to say there is anything wrong with the cadence rods its just its hard to get anything to compare to an acolyte,

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I have both rods and to be honest if you put the 2 side by side and picked them up and had a waggle the acolyte would stand out a mile as lighter and crisper. on the bank using them exactly the same. if you had both rods in your bag you would always get the acolyte out first. that's not to say there is anything wrong with the cadence rods its just its hard to get anything to compare to an acolyte,
Thanks mate. I have the 12ft Acolyte Carp Waggler which I have found to be really good and so light, so it makes sense. I've bought a new centrepin so hopefully that would get some use on whatever rod I do end up with.

Appreciate it pal.

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I'm in the similar predicament, between ,14ft acolyte and the vertex 14ft
About £80 difference or a secondhand acolyte same as new vertex.
Only pleasure fish so erm!

Silverfisher

I reckon if it was a choice between a used acolyte and a new vertex there’d be less risk with the latter just in case the former had been misused/possible damaged. If you can afford a new acolyte though I’d doubt you’d regret it. I find it that good that I actually feel quite professional using mine haha

bricky72

Site Supporter
I’ve a 13and 14 and 3 x 15 acolytes and to be honest they are best float rods made in my opinion I’ve mates who have cadence/ Daiwa etc and when they use any of mine can’t believe how light they are kirtons used my 15ft last winter on waggler fishing for roach and couldn’t believe it was 15 ft it was that light and balanced and I’ve hooked some very large pike on them ( after the Trent roach I’d hooked ) and was in no doubt they handle it

For the extra money I’d go acolytes everyday

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I’ve a 13and 14 and 3 x 15 acolytes and to be honest they are best float rods made in my opinion I’ve mates who have cadence/ Daiwa etc and when they use any of mine can’t believe how light they are kirtons used my 15ft last winter on waggler fishing for roach and couldn’t believe it was 15 ft it was that light and balanced and I’ve hooked some very large pike on them ( after the Trent roach I’d hooked ) and was in no doubt they handle it

For the extra money I’d go acolytes everyday
Cheers pal, I've put my order in, 15ft Acolyte Plus it is!

Thanks for the help all ;)

bricky72

Site Supporter
Cheers pal, I've put my order in, 15ft Acolyte Plus it is!

Thanks for the help all ;)
I’ve got 15ft plus but not had chance to use it yet all other acolyte are ultras

Got the feeder rods as well in 13-12-11 they again are great rods

david white

Site Supporter
I’m sure you’ll be happy enough with the acolyte but in all fairness the Cadence 15ft #1 is a cracking buy ( no history of tip breakages either ) interestingly it appears that only one reply above actual compared the rods side by side which seems strange considering your initial request

bricky72

Site Supporter
I think the acolye snappolyte thing was just an issue with the earlier models as I haven’t heard of many breakages in the last few years that have come from anything other than misuse.
The snap thing was lot of user handling ie line wrap around tip and then striking etc I’ve had mine 4 years and no issues

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I think the acolye snappolyte thing was just an issue with the earlier models as I haven’t heard of many breakages in the last few years that have come from anything other than misuse.
This is my take on it after reading about them.

I don't see any way that it can affect them all up to today else there would be outrage due to the popularity of them.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I’ve got 15ft plus but not had chance to use it yet all other acolyte are ultras

Got the feeder rods as well in 13-12-11 they again are great rods
Sounds like you've got some gear mate 😎

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I’m sure you’ll be happy enough with the acolyte but in all fairness the Cadence 15ft #1 is a cracking buy ( no history of tip breakages either ) interestingly it appears that only one reply above actual compared the rods side by side which seems strange considering your initial request
I appreciate that not a deal of people will own both rods, which is why I mentioned that I'd be happy to hear general opinions on either rod.

Thank you for your help mate

Silverfisher

I think bricky has got it spot on that a lot of the breakages came from people missing wrap arounds, probably both when striking and casting. Its common sense that a lighter and finer rod tip will be more susceptible to snapping in such situations than a thicker heavier one so its just a case of looking what you are doing. Whether the drop in number of breakages is a result of drennan improving the rods or just from increased awareness of what not to do with them I'm not sure but I certainly don't worry about mine. I focus more on how much better my casting, striking and general float control has become since I got it!

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I think bricky has got it spot on that a lot of the breakages came from people missing wrap arounds, probably both when striking and casting. Its common sense that a lighter and finer rod tip will be more susceptible to snapping in such situations than a thicker heavier one so its just a case of looking what you are doing. Whether the drop in number of breakages is a result of drennan improving the rods or just from increased awareness of what not to do with them I'm not sure but I certainly don't worry about mine. I focus more on how much better my casting, striking and general float control has become since I got it!
Yes, I've not had much experience with a 15ft rod, but I fully expect it to require a little more finesse which is fine with me. It won't be a rod I'll abuse as it'll be a gift, so I look forward to mastering it 😊