Drag or Backwind?

rudd

Spent most of my life using clutch until recently.
2lb+ Perch on 2lb hooklength with a 20 hook - prefer to bacwind if needed as Perch dont give a clean run but kind of jiggar jagger not taking line off clutch smoothly.

Silverfisher

Can’t say I’ve been keeping score but there are a lot more back winders like me than I expected. And yes I have just got back from a new years party and I’m wasting time on here instead of going to bed lol

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
You know I didn't think you could waste time on here, news to me !

Silverfisher

Well not generally but at 1 in the morning I was using up time better spent sleeping!

smiffy

Always backwind. Learnt how to do it on small rivers where you couldn’t give the Chub an inch.
Hand on heart I can honestly say I’ve never had any problems playing fish this way. Ok,I’ve had my knuckles rapped once or twice;)
I always feel the fish through the rod and can sense what it’s going to do,something I don’t feel on the rare occasion I’ve used a clutch. When I’m clipped up,which is often,I’d have no idea how close to the clip I am using a clutch. I know by reel turns how close I am when wound down tight and exactly when to open the bail arm and pull the line out if I need to.
I don’t think there’s a right or wrong in wether you use a clutch or not but I personally play em this way.

trotter2

On modern reels the clutch is simply so good you could use that no problem. Or do a bit of both.
But being a closed face reel user I backwind 100%. I have no problems dealing with anything if you catch an express train let go of the handle and let the reel run. The 501 is a great reel for that.

Arch

Site Supporter
I'd say the advent of the bigger fish we're catching these days requires the clutch to be used more often than backwinding, especially on commercials that have larger fish in them. In this thread, most of the backwinders seem to be folks who were brought up fishing rivers and stillwaters after smaller fish in general than is around today. I know in my own fishing, on the odd occasion I fish Meadowlands or similar I'll use the clutch, on the river, I'll backwind.

Paul.P

Ivan Marks stated that he never used a clutch, always backwind. I copied The Master and never changed. Have never used a clutch since and that must be around 45 years fishing.

I don't want some mindless mechanical device giving line, I'll decide when.
As much as I respected Ivan, you just can't compare the reels of today with those used when Ivan was fishing, & yes, I would never use a clutch with those old reels, & until i bought a shimano couple of years ago ( without backwind facility ) i always backwinded myself, however, now i've got used to fishing with a good quality clutch, i wouldn't go back to backwinding now. If any of you fish Wagtail lake at Float Fish Farm, you'll know that if you don't fish the clutch, you'll get snapped off more often than not, cause the bites are just to viscous & quick to successfully backwind. I personally think ( & i was one of them ), that we get stuck in our old ways, when you've been used to backwinding for 30-40yrs, there's little chance your gonna embrace just using the clutch, doesn't matter how far they've advanced.

Sam Vimes

I'd say the advent of the bigger fish we're catching these days requires the clutch to be used more often than backwinding, especially on commercials that have larger fish in them. In this thread, most of the backwinders seem to be folks who were brought up fishing rivers and stillwaters after smaller fish in general than is around today. I know in my own fishing, on the odd occasion I fish Meadowlands or similar I'll use the clutch, on the river, I'll backwind.
I'm reasonably convinced that it's an age thing. With some exceptions, the majority of ardent backwinders I know are over fifty. They were largely brought up on reels with untrustworthy clutches. Even if they go on to buy reels with a good clutches, they often won't use it.

I'm just to say younger than 50. I started out with poor reels and good reels with poor drags. Largely catching small fish on more natural waters, it didn't matter much. As soon as I could, I bought the best reels I could get. Fast forward to now and I'm mostly trotting rivers with centrepins (I wasn't brought up with them). When I'm on stillwaters, decent fixed spool reels, with the best possible drags, are my preference.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I used Mitchell Match reels I back wound, now with modern reels, I always use the clutch/drag, I have it set so that when a fish is under the rod tip it gives when they lunge, rather than get a hook pull. It was a bit different 30 or 40 years ago, we weren’t fishing for 20lb+ fish in matches......

Silverfisher

I think you've got it pretty much right there Arch at least in my case.

As I very rarely target carp, Barbel or pike the biggest fish I'm ever aiming to catch is maybe 6lb tops (bream, tench, chub) which are easily controlled on the light gear on the backwind. More often than not I'm targeting roach, perch, Dace, skimmers, crucians, grayling etc that'll top out at a couple pounds or so. You very rarely need to give line to such sized fish but when you do I feel way more in control on the backwind than the clutch. The venues I fish don't have many carp but I've still hooked enough by accident over the years and whilst I'm really not fussed if I land them or not anyway I have lost less of them since I started almost exclusively back winding about 5 years ago.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Myself I've always used clutch and never had too much problem with line twist.
The only time line twist would be an issue is if you try to retrieve line when the clutch is in operation (ie the spool is rotating), otherwise it isn't a problem.

Personally I prefer to backwind - firstly 'cos that's what I've always done having used closed-face ABU reels and Mitchell Matchs with their famously 'sticky' drag in my younger days - and secondly because I feel more in control when dictating how much line the fish is taking by my actions rather than by a spinning spool that is not the easiest thing to adjust mid-fight.
I do adjust the drag most of the time (when I remember:oops:) so it will just give line to account for that final lunge at the net.

Incidentally the only original ABU closed-face that would backwind straight out of the box without requiring the removal of the infamous 'part 5579' was the last one to be released the 501 - an example of a manufacturer actually responding to feedback from it's customers. The ABU closed-face reels were designed as spinning reels (the catalogue description for the larger 507/508 even states they're suitable for salmon and sea-trout) and were never meant to be used for inching stick-floats down the Trent. However since that was the major usage for the UK market and since competitors (Shakespeare, DAM, Ryobi etc) were on the verge of releasing their own closed-face reels with the backwind feature included ABU got in first with the 501 and gained a couple of years of sales before everyone else caught up - and then of course ballsed it up by dropping the entire range for the hopeless Diplomat series - but that's another story ;)

Simon

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The only time line twist would be an issue is if you try to retrieve line when the clutch is in operation (ie the spool is rotating), otherwise it isn't a problem.
Yeh that's bad practice I got out of that habit. I wind down with the rod.

Silverfisher

If I had a pound for every time I've had to tell my grandad to stop winding against the clutch because he can't hear he's doing it having forgotten to turn his hearing aids up or sometimes even put them in! Is quite funny watching him look perplexed as he tries to figure out why he's not making any ground on the fish ;)

Arch

Site Supporter
It wasn't until I started Barbel fishing 5 seasons ago that I'd ever used a clutch. All my Shimano Supermatch RE's had the clutch tightend down fully and I backwound. Now I do a bit of both. Barbel and match Carp, I'll use the clutch, the rest I'll backwind.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It wasn't until I started Barbel fishing 5 seasons ago that I'd ever used a clutch. All my Shimano Supermatch RE's had the clutch tightend down fully and I backwound. Now I do a bit of both. Barbel and match Carp, I'll use the clutch, the rest I'll backwind.
The RE is not and never will be the best reel for barbel fishing 😳 it's a great float reel though.

Arch

Site Supporter
LOL. I use 5010s for the Barbel. Daiwa TDM's for the Carp.

All the Shimano spools will interchange though, so that's a plus.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
As much as I respected Ivan, you just can't compare the reels of today with those used when Ivan was fishing, & yes, I would never use a clutch with those old reels, & until i bought a shimano couple of years ago ( without backwind facility ) i always backwinded myself, however, now i've got used to fishing with a good quality clutch, i wouldn't go back to backwinding now. If any of you fish Wagtail lake at Float Fish Farm, you'll know that if you don't fish the clutch, you'll get snapped off more often than not, cause the bites are just to viscous & quick to successfully backwind. I personally think ( & i was one of them ), that we get stuck in our old ways, when you've been used to backwinding for 30-40yrs, there's little chance your gonna embrace just using the clutch, doesn't matter how far they've advanced.
I agree with your last sentiment. I am very comfortable backwinding and see no reason to learn a new technique at my age no matter how good the modern reels are.

I also think that a person's technique in playing fish has an impact. Both with rod and pole I employ a very soft elbow/arm and will react to a fish's lunges initially by allowing the arm to unbend. I do wonder if those that rely on a clutch employ a much more rigid arm thus necessitating the use of the clutch.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Tackle Talk 2
D Fishing Talk 38
G Fishing Talk 25
A Fishing Talk 36
J Fishing Talk 0