Drag or Backwind?

richox12

Backwind although I don't always have my hand on the handle...depending which reel I'm using I may use part of my finger to apply frictional pressure to the drum or rotor.
Exactly the same as Nicky

There is no way I am using any clutch with 0.08mm and 0.07mm line.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Always backwind and control the rotor with my finger when I need too, I feel I have more control this way than using the clutch, I decide when to give line not the fish

Ted Crilly

Clutch here mostly, sometimes take it off if the fish feels a bit lungey under the rod tip when bringing em to land etc. as others above I've never felt that modern clutches let you down, the nearest i've come to that is some cheaper reels i've had get a bit juddery with the drag hard on, but on the other hand i've got 'cheap' Chinese reels that have really nice progressive drags - kastkings ;-) + Yoshikawas ;-)
For a really nice drag experience try a baitcasting multiplier and a Bass rod ringed for multis, star drag under the cranking fingers and spool under the thumb :) plus the decent carp attached to the other end of course.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Ivan Marks stated that he never used a clutch, always backwind. I copied The Master and never changed. Have never used a clutch since and that must be around 45 years fishing.

I don't want some mindless mechanical device giving line, I'll decide when.
Me dad use to winde his car up with a handle, if he was alive dont think he would bother now. :)

Fartacus

The clutch is for folk who can't backwinde :sneaky: a newbie or a noddy uses the clutch

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Nope back winding is for real men not fanny's such as yourself
Farty me duck, thank you for your kind words !

We have all had a carp pick up the bait and zoom off with no warning and with a loose set clutch there is no problem. Used my
index finger on the spool for longer than I can remember. Never had a rod disappear into the lake either but there are plenty
who have.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve perfected the art of picking the rod up and flicking into backwind in one motion so don’t have that problem. Still got the clutch set of course in case I’m slow off the mark

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
As a youngster it was by clutch as this is what I was taught, as my experience grew and venues changed it became backwind as the reels (EG ABU 506/7) simply werent up to the job but now it is 100% clutch, they are so good on modern reels. I see so many people backwinding who simply let the rotor free spool and then find it hard to regain control. Or those locking up against a fish and refusing to give line when it is absoutley necessary. To those that argue about controlling when to give line to a fish you can still do this with a clutch simply by applying pressure to the spool of the lip without the rotor spinning. I thought hard about why i use the clutch exclusively and tried to think when this approach has lost me a fish but could not think of any so guess the clutch works for me. I also like to think I am open to new things to experiment with rather than continunig "in perpetuem" with something I was taught years ago, surely having an open mind allows growth and development ? However I also get "if it ain't broke......"

Happy new year to all drowners and tight lines for 2020

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Both.
If using pins or 1950/60/70's fixed spools then its loose clutch and backwind. Abu's then clutch adjusted whilst playing the fish.
Newer reels with much better clutches then it's set clutch and finger pressure.