Drag or Backwind?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This thread seems to come up occasionally but I'm wondering what people do now?
Obviously both have their advantages. Myself I've always used clutch and never had too much problem with line twist.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I use a mix of both. If I feel the fish warrants it, then backwind, otherwise I use the drag.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I use both, but must say I'm tending to use the drag more. Since I got my daiwa front drag reel.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Me too Zerkalo. Never had a problem with twist either. I know the clutch has saved a few breakages. Especially when barbel have made that last dive for freedom.

Sam Vimes

Both, when appropriate. However, with any reel with a really good clutch, the need to backwind is far less.

Arch

Site Supporter
Backwind for me. Although, for the bigger fish that are around now, using the clutch has become another option for me.

MrTencherson

Site Supporter
I use the clutch to play fish (after all that's what it's designed for) additionally, the carp in my local pond will go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye so at my age I'm not fast enough to play on the back wind so I lose less fish with the clutch.

That said I do play with the clutch setting while playing the fish, usually start off pretty loose for the initial run and tighten up when needed and slacken off again when under the tip if there's a chance of a last minute dash.

I'm not an expert angler so my method works for me and my limited skill level.

Al

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Me too Zerkalo. Never had a problem with twist either. I know the clutch has saved a few breakages. Especially when barbel have made that last dive for freedom.
Also the sound of the clutch is something I am used to hearing!

I use the clutch to play fish (after all that's what it's designed for) additionally, the carp in my local pond will go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye so at my age I'm not fast enough to play on the back wind so I lose less fish with the clutch.

That said I do play with the clutch setting while playing the fish, usually start off pretty loose for the initial run and tighten up when needed and slacken off again when under the tip if there's a chance of a last minute dash.

I'm not an expert angler so my method works for me and my limited skill level.

Al
Same for me! I set the clutch very loose especially on my old Shimano 2500 reel, it has landed me fish big and small, and then work the rear drag to give a bit more pressure when needed. Like you say, I'm not a pro, but it works for me.

Now my new Baitrunner reel has no anti reverse switch so I'm going to have to get used to that as well as front drag which seems awkward to me having never used it but I've heard it's meant to be smoother.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used to backwind all the time but now tend to use the clutch as most reels nowadays can be fine tuned compared to the reels of old.
The other issue with newer reels is they are that free-running that without the anti-reverse engaged it's easy to find the reel unwinding line off the spool which can cause tangles or at least a bump when striking, if you haven't noticed the slack.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Make sure your clutch will give line easily then use your index finger to control the spool. backwinding is for knobs.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For most my coarse fishing I use light gear and personally feel more in control of fish with it on the backwind. That way I can feel when I should give line and how much rather than rely on the clutch to do it, only have myself to blame if something goes wrong then! That's purely for coarse fishing with light float and feeder rods with 3-6lb main lines, 2-4lb hook lengths and 14-18 barbless hooks though. For sea fishing where you are using heavier rods, stretchless braid and bigger barbed hooks I only use the clutch as there is not much that can go wrong then.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Ivan Marks stated that he never used a clutch, always backwind. I copied The Master and never changed. Have never used a clutch since and that must be around 45 years fishing.

I don't want some mindless mechanical device giving line, I'll decide when.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Back in the day the clutches on the vast majority of fixed spools were rubbish so it became the norm to tighten them right down and backwind.
Nowa days clutches are much improved and can be used with confidence. As for using the clutch producing line twist, it's an absolute fallacy if used correctly.
It only happens if you are trying to retrieve line while the clutch is allowing line to be taken.

Sam Vimes

Wonder how many closed faced ABUs had the reverse pawl removed so you could backwind ??
Most of them. It doesn't take long to realize that the clutch on them is appalling. It makes pretty bad clutches look good.

Nicky Dodds

Backwind although I don't always have my hand on the handle...depending which reel I'm using I may use part of my finger to apply frictional pressure to the drum or rotor.