Drag or backwind

Status
Not open for further replies.

DODD5Y

See a lot of the top anglers backwinding to play fish, i personally like to use the drag on my reel. Is there any advantages of backwinding?

smiffy

Site Supporter
I always backwind. Don't know if one method is better than the other but I've always played fish that way and feel I'm more in control.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I never back-wind and always rely on the clutch/drag, I know this can lead to line twist but I have never had a problem, a sudden lunge from a fish at the net can catch you unawares but a well set drag caters for all events, just my opinion.[:D]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by arnyking

I trust the backwind
Surely the back-wind is you.

A fish at the net makes a dash for freedom, net in one hand rod in the other. Do you just let the reel spin uncontrolled or do you drop the net?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

Originally posted by arnyking

I trust the backwind
Surely the back-wind is you.

A fish at the net makes a dash for freedom, net in one hand rod in the other. Do you just let the reel spin uncontrolled or do you drop the net?
I think when you backwind you tend to know when a fish is played out. Yes I have had my knuckles wrapped once or twice but that's all.
I learnt my fishing on a small river. The small fish didn't require a drag and the Chub lived in their typical haunts. Hitting those Chub with the drag on would almost certainly mean getting snagged within seconds.
I reckon that's why I play fish the way I do.

Daves cave

I tend to use one of my fingers just to check the reel while fish plays it self out.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
So do I, but the drag takes care of any unforeseen problems, you can't back-wind with a finger, you can only hope to stop mayhem.

dubdog

Clutch all day long. Backwind just for the old boys who refuse to change.

shropshire_pole

I always play fish off the clutch, drag systems are that smooth and good now there is no need to backwind.

Bill G

Grandad
back wind every time .just feel im in control a bit more ,and i never pick the net up untill i think the fish is played out enough to come to the net.
yes it has happened that a fish has lunged at the last minute ,but i dont stiff arm them ,im ready for it.
if you are bullying a fish to the net you will lose more to lunges than playing them out .

NathanWatson

Always backwind, i want to give line when i want to, not when the fish wants! Also get line twist with drags. I think i'm in the minority preferring to backwind though!?

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'm another back-winder.
I just feel in more control of the fish if I'm actually giving it line rather than it stripping it off the reel via the clutch.

I seem to be able to get more of a feel for how fast it's actually running, where it's going and how far out it is.

Having said I do set the drag on the reel so it will just give a little line to control that final 'at the net' lunge.

Simon

DODD5Y

Good to know I'm not the only using the clutch. Just seems like its personal preference more than one being better than the other. Thx lads.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Originally posted by NathanWatson

Always backwind, i want to give line when i want to, not when the fish wants! Also get line twist with drags. I think i'm in the minority preferring to backwind though!?
I don't think so Nathan. Don't know many anglers myself that use the drag nowadays.
Modern rods seem to cusion the blows of a hard fighting fish enough.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I feel in control of the fish with backwinding rather than the fish controlling me taking line from a drag.

If it was good enough for Ivam Marks then it was good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.