Dont Understand?

Puckleman

Site Supporter
We have recently moved into a flat until our new place is ready later in the year. A couple of days ago we received our council tax bill and were surprised to find that the local council consider a 2 bedroom flat, with no backdoor and no garden, to be the same rating as a 3 bedroom house with a nice garden. In addition to that they want to charge me another £13 a month.
Have any of you guys had a similar story to tell and is it worth while asking the council to explain?
By the way, its South Gloucestershire Council.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
No mate ive got a Prayer room in the attic ;) By the way whats council Tax ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
the flat was obviously rated in a higher band than the house when valued way back in the 80's

often the case in high density city areas

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It could also be down to postcode. To be honest (and being yorkshire), I'd be asking the council to explain it.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
You can ask the council to evaluate it again but that could cost you even more. Ask neighbours what their rate is before asking for a new evaluation as this is what I did and and got it dropped 2 rates. Most of the houses around mine in the same street (ex council properties so all the same) had different rates, they dont now 😏 it seems that those still belonging to the council were the cheapest but every time one was sold the rates were changed due to value sold at.