Does "EVERYONE" understand?

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Does everyone, really understand what FISHING/ANGLING is truly all about?
When I ask people (non-anglers) their perception of fishing, they more than often reply with its too boring and they cant think of anything less exciting than watching a piece of coloured plastic bobbing about on the water for hours on end waiting for a bite. Others feel they dont have the inclination to pursue long-drawn-out, time consuming activities. Some people say they are physically unable to do outdoor sports and only get the chance to watch it on TV. Most will say it is a non-active sport and it doesnt interest them in the slightest.

If you asked someone (a non-angler) to go fishing with you, would they go?
And if they did, would they take it up as a sport?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I think its impossible to convey to non anglers why we like fishing. Sitting by a nice idyllic bit of
river on a sunny day perhaps but we will still be doing it when its freezing, try explaining that.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Our Gerts uncle used to say how boring it was until i said come with us, that he did, he loved it bough some gear, loved it that much it cost him his marriage [;)]

nutmeg

Fished for 50 years and l love every minute on the bank, But l have never and will never ever consider it a sport. A pastime yes, a passion yes, a hobby yes, a sport never.
I do fish club matches but thats a contest.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Originally posted by nutmeg

Fished for 50 years and l love every minute on the bank, But l have never and will never ever consider it a sport. A pastime yes, a passion yes, a hobby yes, a sport never.
I do fish club matches but thats a contest.
That;s an interesting one nutmeg. Angling is officially recognised as a sport by Sport England after the Angling Trust pressured them into it. Do you think it was only because SE fund sport and not pastimes etc.

nutmeg

Dont give a monkeys fig what SE thinks about angling, and why did the angling trust deem it necessary to lobby for it to be classed as a sport, the only reason can be money, as thats what its always about in this day and age.

themethodman

It's hard getting a non angler to go fishing but when they do it normally ends with them loving it . Had two friends of mine this happen too . I fly fish aswell and now my friend goes fly fishing more then I do .

pat 1948

I would say that the 'Matchman' truly understands, and it's nothing to do with the 'brown envelope', it helps of course, but pitting yourself against 80 anglers which included 'Names' on a canal open and winning gives you fantastic buzz, and there again fishing a peg that was never fancied and taking roach 6-8ozs every put in on the 'seed' when having a practice session is very satisfying, but that is only one aspect of fishing.

The 'Purist', whether he be after carp, barbel, tench, bream, pike or perch even eels that frighten some anglers, have their agendas, usually looking for record fish, what a thrill that must be to see your name on the records list! The closest I ever came to anything like a record was catching a 4oz 4drams gudgeon out of the local river, the record at the time, and still is as far as I know for a gudgeon, is 5oz.

That is just two aspects, there are of course more, it will be interesting to see what others have to say.[:T]

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
It's officially recognised by the Oxford English dictionary

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sportfishing

Wiki lists it under Recreational Fishing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_fishing

It has it's own World Championships
http://www.offshoreworldchampionship.com/

There is a holiday industry built around it
http://www.worldsportfishing.com/

Be very hard to say it's not a sport

Total

Site Supporter
Fishing/angling is many different things to each participant.[:)]

....I never understand it at times.[:D][:D]

The Runner

Site Supporter
Sport ? Hobby? Pastime?

Having today sat freezing and biteless on the canal watching the anglers three and four pegs away getting a roach a chuck, I'm sure it could sometimes also be classed as a punishment.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Originally posted by Pompous git

I think its impossible to convey to non anglers why we like fishing. Sitting by a nice idyllic bit of
river on a sunny day perhaps but we will still be doing it when its freezing, try explaining that.
Encountering nowt but ignorance everytime I gave up trying to explain to people why I go fishing!!!!!!!

rjays

The worst comment of all is at the weigh in, when a non angler asks "do you eat them"

changrilla

Site Supporter
Would they come fishing with me, unlikely or they would have done by now. Some have in the past (50 yrs ago)
but circumstances change and they do other things. Do the others get it, no. When asked why I always say it's
the challenge. For me it is, aside from relaxing in nice surroundings taking in the world around. It's
different for matchmen but one of the unique things about pleasure angling is that it's largely a challenge
without consequences. Non anglers don't expect you to catch anything so you can't really fail. If you don't
catch anything they just think you're slightly barmy.

JayBee

Site Supporter
Hmm!, I have heard opinions that only hunting, shooting and fishing count as sports, other pastimes being only counted as games!
I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory, but can understand why the previously mentioned have evolved, as they were, in times gone by needed for survival.
Have in the past played competitive rugby, fooball and occsional squash, all very different to fishing, but much more frenetic.
Maybe we anglers have a gene that needs to be satisfied by catching wild (or not so wild in commercials) ceatures, albeit mostly returned safefully to their habitat.
Having coached, transported and encouraged several young anglers in the past, I can draw comfort that one of the lads is still now a very competent angler and club commitee member, and another has won the 1st div. national.
I have taken more than a few youngsters to ponds / lakes with whips and maggots, and have seen the delight on their face when up to 5lbs. of small fish come out of the keepnet.
All of them converts to fishing?...No....But somewhat more mutually enjoyable than a trip to Alton Towers / Thorpe Park / Disneyland, etc!.

So, you experienced anglers, just take a beginner / novice angler fishing, set up and coach them to catch.
You never know how much enthusiasm and ability you might unleish.

rudd

Originally posted by mike fox

Does everyone, really understand what FISHING/ANGLING is truly all about?
When I ask people (non-anglers) their perception of fishing, they more than often reply with its too boring and they cant think of anything less exciting than watching a piece of coloured plastic bobbing about on the water for hours on end waiting for a bite. Others feel they dont have the inclination to pursue long-drawn-out, time consuming activities. Some people say they are physically unable to do outdoor sports and only get the chance to watch it on TV. Most will say it is a non-active sport and it doesnt interest them in the slightest.

If you asked someone (a non-angler) to go fishing with you, would they go?
And if they did, would they take it up as a sport?
Whether match fishing, sea fishing, specimen fishing - whatever fishing, for me its an escape.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Twice I have made a reply and twice it has crashed!!!

I'm going to bed!!!!!!!!!

carphauler

My mates are not interested whatsoever, I once took a school friend when we were about 15,caught tench to 4 1/2 pound,orfe to 5lb,he was totally unfazed and never went again.
I match fish and in my opinion it is far removed from what friends think is fishing,it's not particularly quiet or secluded.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Like many things in life, unless you are involved you will never grasp the complexities, the nuances, the attraction or the difficulties.

Until I became a school Governor I didn't understand how a school functions, until I had my colon removed I didn't understand about things like stomas, bags and internal pouches.

So you cannot wonder that the non fishing public have no grasp of the sport.